**Notice** Due to transfering back from a godaddy hosted wordpress blog back to blogger, reviews published before june 2017 don`t all have a pretty layout with book cover and infos. Our apologies.

Wednesday, March 30, 2011

Lover Awakened by J.R. Ward

Book Stats:
Genre: Paranormal Romance
Publisher: Signet (Mass Market Paperback: 464 pages)
Published: September 5, 2006
ISBN-13: 978-0451219367

Series: Black Dagger Brotherhood #3

Reviewed by: Tynga

Book Source: Personal Shelf

Purchase: Amazon | Amazon Can | Book Depository

In the shadows of the night in Caldwell, New York, there’s a deadly war raging between vampires and their slayers. And there exists a secret band of brothers like no other - six vampire warriors, defenders of their race. Of these, Zsadist is the most terrifying member of the Black Dagger Brotherhood.

A former blood slave, the vampire Zsadist still bears the scars from a past filled with suffering and humiliation. Renowned for his unquenchable fury and sinister deeds, he is a savage feared by humans and vampires alike. Anger is his only companion, and terror is his only passion—until he rescues a beautiful aristocrat from the evil Lessening Society.

Bella is instantly entranced by the seething power Zsadist possesses. But even as their desire for one another begins to overtake them both, Zsadist’s thirst for vengeance against Bella’s tormentors drives him to the brink of madness. Now, Bella must help her lover overcome the wounds of his tortured past, and find a future with her…

 

The Black Dagger Brotherhood is a group of six very powerful warriors, respected and feared by civilian vampires: their role is to protect them. But one of them drastically stands out. Even his brothers fears him: Zsadist. After centuries of slavery and abuse, the male is damaged. Pain is his deliverance. Starving himself of both food and blood, scarred with soulless eyes he is a tremendous fighter because he has nothing to fear. What are you scared of when you’ve been to hell and back? But maybe, just maybe, he has a chance for redemption. He feels an inexplicable attraction for Bella, a civilian female who’s been kidnapped by lessers. He saved her, but can she save him from himself?

This review will be challenging to write because I LOVED this book so much I’m not sure my words can really capture the way I feel about it. Since the first book in the series, Dark Lover, I was anxious to discover more about Zsadist because I had a feeling his story would be interesting. Boy did Ward deliver! Lover awakened was dark, intense, stressful, passionate and oh so amazing! It took me over a week to read it because it was too good. Say what? It was so high in emotions I ended up putting the book down many times because I couldn’t handle it anymore lol I wanted to know what would happen next, yet I was so scared I couldn’t keep on reading. Call me crazy, but that’s how I felt hehe

I LOVED to finally discover the man this harsh exterior hid and glad we finally got to know his story. He had a gruesome past, no wonders he can’t handle emotional and physical contact. He was used in the worst way and left scarred (both literally and metaphorically) for life. Bella eventually becomes his reason to breath, but he feels unworthy of her and keeps pushing her away. Their relation is amazing and heart-shattering. Ward couldn’t possibly have told a better story. Consuming, overwhelming, their love for each other tore ‘em apart. Attracting yet repulsing each other like magnets, the whole story was a rollercoaster of emotions.

Zsadist & Bella’s isn’t the only tragic story though. Ward will kill a handful of characters in this book and I felt the lost right along with the survivors. I grieved for those characters and I was fond of them, one especially, and I wanted to throw my book away when she killed him/her. I also feel a lot of affection for the young John, and I really hope we’ll get to see him after his transition. His true identity was revealed in this book, but with everything going on, we didn’t get to see the consequences.

I won’t talk about the ending because I don’t want to give anything away, but let me tell you this: Right after finishing the book, I wanted to read it all over again. That’s just how good this book is. If you haven’t started the Black Dagger Brotherhood series yet, please do yourself a favor and by them. All of them, because one you finish one, you’ll want to read the next one right away. Trust me.

Read an excerpt

If you read the book, I would like to invite you to join the discussion I posted!

Tynga is a 32 years old mom of two, from Montreal, working as a lab technician in an hospital specialized in heart disease. In her free time, she enjoys reading all things Paranormal and photography.

Follow Tynga on: Facebook | Twitter

1 Person left their mark:

  1. Thank you for posting the awesome review and trailer! *SQUEE!* I must read this series!!! AHH! lol damn my book buying ban lmao

    ReplyDelete