**Notice** Due to transfering back from a godaddy hosted wordpress blog back to blogger, reviews published before june 2017 don`t all have a pretty layout with book cover and infos. Our apologies.

Saturday, February 21, 2015

Stacking The Shelves (147)

Stacking the Shelves


puStacking The Shelves is all about sharing the books you are adding to your shelves, may it be physical or virtual. This means you can include books you buy in physical store or online, books you borrow from friends or the library, review books, gifts and of course ebooks!


If you want to find out more about Stacking The Shelves, please visit the official launch page!


——————


Well, I've done it.  I've completely caught up on the Dresden Files series.  Admittedly I've only read one of the graphic novels but, they don't count in my mind.,


The Dresden Files Book Covers.


I really enjoyed this series. It's a well told and easy to read series with a lot of funny and thought provoking moments.  I will suggest, again, to read Side Jobs last.  One of the advantages to an established series is being able to keep the momentum up by going to the next book right away. Going back and forth in time could cause temporal instability in your story conceptualizing.


The First ConfessorJohn Quincy AdamsThe Rithmatist book cover ,


 







The First Confessor: The Legend of Magda Searus is a high fantasy book you'll hear more about it later from me.


The Ritmatist remains one of my least favorite Brandon Sanderson books but, is still a very entertaining read.


I got the John Quincy Adams book for a bit of literary palate cleansing.  I look forward to the difference in genre.


Like I said before, now that I have caught up on the Dresden Files books, I'm looking for another established series to take its place.  I've been toying with the idea to use one Wednesday a month to review a book from that series in order as a kind of 'Catch up' project.  If anybody has any suggestions, please let me know.


[inlinkz_linkup id=497147]

Tynga is a 32 years old mom of two, from Montreal, working as a lab technician in an hospital specialized in heart disease. In her free time, she enjoys reading all things Paranormal and photography.

Follow Tynga on: Facebook | Twitter

17 People left their mark' :

  1. Jim Butcher is awesomeness incarnated, Robert! I think graphic novels should count too, because the perspective is often slightly different, and because the story has to be edited as well, to fit the format of the speech bubbles and so on :)

    If you enjoy UF and don't mind a female protagonist, I can recommend The Hollows series by Kim Harrison. There is also the Codex Alera series by Jim Butcher, which is really more high fantasy than UF. Two other UF /PN series I enjoy are the Kate Daniels series by Ilona Andrews, and the Downside Ghosts series by Stacia Kane. For a contemporary thriller / mystery with a small paranormal element, Brown and De Luca series by Maggie Shayne is really good. For a gritty detective / thriller series, you should try Amanda Kyle Williams' Key Street series , and for time travel / high fantasy the Time Weaver Chronicles by Thomas A. Knight.

    Sorry, that was a long list of recs... The longest going of these series is The Hollows, thirteen novels, and the series is complete.

    Have a great weekend, Robert.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love Harry too. I have read all of the latest books but missed several that came early in the series. John Adams is a very good read. Hope you enjoy it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Literary palate cleansing...I like that! I have to do that sometimes when I have had an overload of one genre.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I need to catch up with the Harry Dresden series, as they're such fun reads! If you're looking for another urban fantasy series, I recommend Elemental Assassin by Jennifer Estep. Gin is an assassin with a twist, as she has magic. Not magic like Harry, but elemental magic. Great characters, interesting villains, and fast moving plots. Like your idea of a palate cleanser book, so might have to try that. Enjoy your new books!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I read a couple from the Dresden series and have been meaning to continue as he is a fun character to follow. Loved what I saw of the tv series too. Happy reading ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I am not caught up on The Dresden Files. I have them all though, so I'm headed in the right direction! Enjoy your books! Have a great weekend!

    Michelle @ Michelle's Minions

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh nice! These are all new to me! Hope you enjoy each and every one of them!

    My STS will be up tomorrow, so be sure to stop by then!

    Have a GREAT day!

    Old Follower :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Maybe I'll take the opportunity at Comic-Con to check out more of the graphic novels.
    I love UF. I actually have gravitated more to strong female central characters in most of the series I follow. The novel I wrote for NaNoWriMo featured a pair of strong female characters as the main characters. In the main, it comes down to UF or SF. Either way, I hope to make it a journey for me and anybody else who wants to tag along ;)

    ReplyDelete
  9. For some reason, Gin didn't appeal to me. I fell in love with Jane Yellowrock (don't tell my wife!) and plowed throw that series to date in record time. I liked the magic system in Elemental Assassin. I just couldn't warm up to Gin. Maybe it says more about me than her.

    ReplyDelete
  10. The only problem I had with the TV series was the ethnic switch between Murphy and Susan. It just seemed weird to do that. I love both characters and Butcher develops them well over the series.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I did the same thing for Camp NaNoWriMo last year. I didn't want anything to influence the UF novel I had in mind. I still wound up ripping off Jim Butcher. The worst part was, I hadn't even read any of his books yet!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Have you read Lois McMaster Bujold's Vorkosigan series. What about Sharon Lee and Steve Miller's Liaden Universe novels. Those are my two favorite science fiction series.

    ReplyDelete
  13. The Dresden series looks good. If you like vampire romance, Carlie M A Cullen has a trilogy, Heartsearch. I loved them all. You can check out my reviews on my blog if it interests you.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Just discovered that you guys host this every week! It looks like so much fun, and thank you. Can't wait to check out everyone's lists. :)

    And the Dresden File's are great. I've only read the first few but eventually I'll get around to reading the rest of the series!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I've just started the Dresden Files, mainly because I now have a chance of meeting the author and want to be able to talk about his books with him!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Yikes. I've heard that same thing before, though. It's something that happens a lot. I beta read for an author that ended up trashing her whole novel just days before its release. I can't imagine how that must have felt.

    ReplyDelete
  17. That must have been tough. In my case, I had only done it to do it with no real thoughts of publishing (not even self). It's collecting cyber-dust now but, it did spawn a short story I was much more happy with.

    ReplyDelete