**Notice** Due to transfering back from a godaddy hosted wordpress blog back to blogger, reviews published before june 2017 don`t all have a pretty layout with book cover and infos. Our apologies.

Monday, February 09, 2015

Burned by Karen Marie Moning

I'm having a love/hate relationship with this book. There are so many things that I loved about this book, yet it still left me unsatisfied with the direction the series is taking. I never thought I would say this, but after waiting for what feels like forever, Burned has left me disappointed.

First, I love that Mac is back! I really missed her in the previous book, which was all about Dani. Don't get me wrong, Dani can be a fun a quirky character, but personally I think she doesn't compare to Mac and isn't enough to be the main character of a book like she was in Iced. And she's kind of annoying. Originally, what made me fall in love with the series was Mac, and now it seems like the author has added so many point of views, it's hard to understand how it all pieces together. I'm just happy Mac is the (main) narrator again and it feels childish to complain about a few pages and a few chapters dedicated to other characters. However, I'm surprised by how much I like Lor. I did not expect to enjoy this woman loving, sex addicted character as much as I did. I love that were learning more about the mysterious group of Nine and that it's not just about Barrons and Ryodan anymore. I think Lor adds a new depth to the group, however, I'm not sure if I like this new Ryodan.  I guess you can say we see his softer side but it doesn't really work for me because I can only imagine him as a stern and rigid character.

The first half of the novel was kind of slow. As things slowly build up, I expected more out of this novel because of its length, but much of it is just filler. There was no clear antagonist in this novel so that might be another reason why it felt like the book was purposeless at times. It feels like Mac coasted through most of the novel which had me wondering when the real Mac would show up. I was surprised by our introduction to Jada and I'm still a little bit confused about her as a character and what it all means for the rest of the series. I don't want to discuss her too much because that would expose too many spoilers, but honestly I'm still not sure about her as character.

In the past, the heat between Mac and Barrons was enough to get me through anything, but in this novel, it feels like it kind of sizzle out. Their "inactivity" is boring, to say the least, and I expected more from the couple, especially in a novel titled Burned and with such a hot cover. The chapter before the prologue was pretty hot but just a flashback so it felt kind pointless and definitely a tease.

I'm having such a hard time writing this review, I think it's because I've never felt so disappointed by a novel before. Although it wasn't all that bad, my expectations were definitely set too high. I'm hopeful Karen Marie Moning will get back on track with her next book and that Burned is just an unfortunate event. Fans of the series still have to read this novel despite everything. Newcomers to the series will be disappointed and confused despite the glossary at the end of the book (which I thought was a great idea).

As readers, we could have done without Burned and hopefully it was just a way to set up the next great installment in the series.

http://youtu.be/moRdA43d4Nc

stephsig moon

Tynga is a 32 years old mom of two, from Montreal, working as a lab technician in an hospital specialized in heart disease. In her free time, she enjoys reading all things Paranormal and photography.

Follow Tynga on: Facebook | Twitter

1 Person left their mark:

  1. Oh bummer. I still need to read this one but now I feel my hopes sink dramatically lower. I loved the Fever series pretty much since I started it! And I read Iced just recently because Burned kept getting delayed. Now I don't know what to do. I will still read it, I just don't know who high in the TBR Mountain of Doom it will be...

    But still, great review! Looking forward to seeing Mac again!

    ReplyDelete