**Notice** Due to transfering back from a godaddy hosted wordpress blog back to blogger, reviews published before june 2017 don`t all have a pretty layout with book cover and infos. Our apologies.

Wednesday, February 19, 2014

Wicked Lovely by Melissa Marr

Wicked Lovely is one of the most popular paranormal books for Young Adults and it has a huge fanbase. Wicked Lovely has received quite mixed reviews and it seems that many readers either love it or hate it. In the right hands, Wicked Lovely will be the perfect book with it's love triangle, irritating main character, and Twilight-esque romance. I wasn't impressed with this book at all and I can't imagine myself reading any more of Marr's books.

Wicked Lovely isn't a terrible book, it's just felt  incredibly cheesy and dull. This is a book that is only romance and the novel's meager plot is driven by the Seth-Keenan-Aislinn  love triangle. I'm fine with a slow moving plot, but I had absolutely no interest in any of the Winter Court's or The Summer Court's affairs. Why should I care if Keenan finds his true love? I wanted Marr to engross me in the cruel. deceptive world of the fairies, but I can't enjoy a book where I don't enjoy the characters or the romance.

Aisilinn  is one of the most bland main characters and I couldn't sympathize with her at all. Aislinn's actions frequently annoyed me and I didn't understand her love for Keenan at all. Keenan acted like such a jerk and yet Aislinn was absolutely enamored with him in certain sections of the book. I wasn't a huge fan of Seth either, but anyone was better than Keenan in my mind.

Marr clearly did a ton of research with Wicked Lovely and it is evident throughout the entire book. If I wasn't so annoyed with the unappealing romance, I definitely think I would've enjoyed the fairies aspects. I wanted to enjoy the fairy political affairs, but I just couldn't make myself care.

Wicked Lovely was a bit of an ordeal for me to read and I was extremely bored throughout. I wasn't a fan of Marr's writing style and the romance she wrote was extremely unappealing and it was extremely irritating. This definitely wasn't the book for me and I wish I had enjoyed it more!

Tynga is a 32 years old mom of two, from Montreal, working as a lab technician in an hospital specialized in heart disease. In her free time, she enjoys reading all things Paranormal and photography.

Follow Tynga on: Facebook | Twitter

8 People left their mark' :

  1. Well, I have heard a lot about this series, too
    But it just looks so typical YA . I want something unique
    GREAT review, nonetheless

    ReplyDelete
  2. I didn't like this book either. I wasn't a fan of Seth or Keenan, and if I don't like at least one of the love interests, then I typically don't like the story.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I did enjoy this series and I think it get's better later on and a bit darker. Although I can also understand why you didn't like it, I read this book when I was pretty new to the YA genre fantasy genre and it felt original to me then. But I don't know if I would still feel the same way if I re-read them now.
    I also have read Graveminder by Melissa Marr which I really enjoyed. And I read Loki's Wolves which she writes together with Kelley Armstrong, it's a great middle grade book.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I loved this book! Though I did read it when I was quite young and hadn't been exposed to much else. I can see why it didn't work for you, though. I know that I didn't particularly like the following two books in this series, so you aren't really missing anything. :P

    ReplyDelete
  5. I felt the same way about this book when I read it! I just couldn't get into it at all! I thought it was probably just me so your review makes me feel vindicated :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I read this series a long time ago - when it first was released, and I enjoyed it a lot more than you did, Jonathan. I hope your next read will be better for you :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. This was a DNF for me, not sure if I will ever try it again.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Aw that is too bad that you didn't like this one. I have heard great things about it and have it on my shelf waiting to be read. Hopefully I will enjoy it.

    Thanks for the great review!

    ReplyDelete