**Notice** Due to transfering back from a godaddy hosted wordpress blog back to blogger, reviews published before june 2017 don`t all have a pretty layout with book cover and infos. Our apologies.

Wednesday, February 26, 2014

The Girl In The Steel Corset by Kady Cross

I've heard so much about The Girl In The Steel Corset and for the most part, my friends had pretty mixed reactions to this book. I honestly didn't think I would enjoy this book and I expected to abandon it early on. Don't expect The Girl In The Steel Corset to be extremely serious, this is an extremely light-hearted, fun novel. This book was just what I needed to read and I am very excited to continue this series!

Finley Jayne has a dark "Mr. Hyde"-esque side to her and she is a danger to all those around her. When Griffin King hears about Finley Jayne, he figures out that she is special and he urges her to join his little rag-tag band of friends. Griffin and his friends are investigating a series of crimes committed by a mastermind called "The Machinist" and he needs Finley's help if he wants to stop The Machinist.

Finley Jayne isn't your average YA protagonist, she's far more tortured and conflicted than most main characters. She literally has dark side to her that makes her do horrible things and yet readers won't ever hold that against her. Instead readers will fall in love with the compassionate, bad-ass and strong-willed Finley who's not afraid to fight for her friends. I absolutely loved Finley and all of the other magnetic characters.

The romance in The Girl In The Steel Corset is simple and sweet. There's so much chemistry between Finley and Griffin, but I just hope that their romance doesn't overshadow their friendship. There's definitely a love triangle in this book, but surprisingly I was fine with it. I am definitely intrigued by Jack Dandy's relationship with Finley and I'm curious to see where Cross takes their relationship next. Dandy may be a criminal, but there's something so alluring about him. I really want to know more about Dandy and how he became the despicable man he is today.

I haven't read too many steampunk novels, but The Girl In The Steel Corset is one of the superior steampunk novels that I've read. I loved all of the zany and quirky inventions that fill this book and I loved reading about the uses of each of these wonderful creations. Though these inventions aren't always so relevant to the plot, they were extremely engaging to read about and the science nerd in me really appreciated all of the countless inventions.

One of my few complaints regarding The Girl In The Steel Corset is the plot and it's lack of momentum. I really enjoyed The Girl In The Steel Corset, but I feel as if there was so much character development and setting of the scene that the plot got neglected. Very few substantial plot events occur throughout the novel and even though, this book is extremely enjoyable I felt as if barely anything was accomplished. I really hoped that the next book is more action-packed and is more eventful.

The Girl In The Steel Corset is a bit ridiculous at times, but I had so much fun reading this novel. I'm extremely excited to read the following book in this series and I hope that the next book explores more of Jack Dandy's past. This book helped me get out of my reading slump and I would definitely recommend this book! Kady Cross is definitely a promising author and I have a feeling that her Steampunk Chronicles is going to become one of my favorite series.

jonsig

Tynga is a 32 years old mom of two, from Montreal, working as a lab technician in an hospital specialized in heart disease. In her free time, she enjoys reading all things Paranormal and photography.

Follow Tynga on: Facebook | Twitter

3 People left their mark' :

  1. I'm really interested in this book. I know a lot of my friends have read it and said it's really good and a lot of fun. I think I have it laying around somewhere. I should check it out soon.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nice review Jon, I have this series on my wishlist.

    ReplyDelete
  3. So glad to hear you enjoyed this book. I am surprised to find out that it's more of a light and fun read though. I guess by judging the cover I expected something a bit....darker?

    Either way your review has made me want to move this book up the TBR. Thanks for the great review!

    ReplyDelete