**Notice** Due to transfering back from a godaddy hosted wordpress blog back to blogger, reviews published before june 2017 don`t all have a pretty layout with book cover and infos. Our apologies.

Monday, January 05, 2015

Lover at Last by J.R. Ward

As much as I was disappointed with the previous book of this series, I really loved this one. Personally, I think J.R. Ward has redeemed herself and brought this series back to glory. I love these vampires and their culture and I just can't get enough. I would definitely recommend this series, but the books really need to be read in order. I mean it as a compliment when I say Lover at Last is a hot mess.

I'm slowly catching up with this series, and I didn't know how to approach this particular book because it's the one featuring Qhuinn and Blay. I've really been looking forward to it, but at the same time I didn't want to be disappointed. Same sex relationships are hot in erotic fiction right now and it has, to a certain point, made its way into mainstream fiction. Don't get me wrong, I'm not at all homophobic, but it kind of surprised me that the author would lead these two characters in this direction. Actually, I'm kind of surprise how much I loved reading about them. J.R. Ward achieved what she wanted to do, which is feature two hot and ripped vampire males in a romantic relationship as the main story line, and not just an afterthought story. Kudos to J.R. Ward and her publisher for breaking barriers and including this relationship in a New York Times bestselling series.

Qhuinn and Blay's story isn't a simple one and it's full of misunderstandings and fights. For those of you who have read this series, you'll agree with me when I say this has been a long time coming. J.R. Ward is pro when it comes to misunderstandings and conflicts in relationships, which ultimately allows her to write 600+ pages books. I kind of hate to say it, but if Qhuinn and Blay had been honest with each other, say in the first 50 pages, everything would have gone a little smoother for these two guys. Forget that. If they had been honest with each other many books before this one, things would have been simpler.

This book isn't just about Qhinn and Blay, although they do have quite a lot of angsty and steamy scenes. The story is also about Layla, the Chosen who went through her needing in the previous book and in which Qhuinn serviced her and possibly conceived a child. I say possibly because when it comes to these complicated vampires, nothing is simple, especially when it comes to pregnancies. They are very difficult on the females, and more often than not end up in miscarriages. It's important to note, however, that Layla and Qhuinn didn't decide to have a child together because they love each other. No, this is more out of convenience because both want a family, and figure this is the only way to do it. Like I said, nothing is simple when it comes to these vampires. And that's not to mention the fighter Layla fancies after meeting him only once, when she gave him her blood in order to save his life from mortal injuries. Still, she feels drawn to him, even after she's made aware that this fighter is Xcor, the enemy of her king. Layla is confused about her feelings, but oddly enough, the disfigured Xcor also feels the attraction, but is disgusted because he is not worthy of a female like Layla.

I told you it was a hot mess. Besides all the complicated Blay-Qhinn-Layla trio and the enemy Xcor, there is also, this random attraction between a vampire drug dealer and a private detective-like woman. The Band of Bastards lead by Xcor are also gaining some ground and planing to overthrow the current king and the Brotherhood. The glymera, the elite society of vampires, are also working with the Bastards to take over the royal family. Let's not forget the vampire's true enemy, the Lessening Society, the soul-less humans that are trying to eradicate vampires. It felt like they were missing from the previous book, but they are definitely making a come back, despite being hunted by both the Brotherhood and the Band of Bastards.

One more thing I want to mention: Plane crash. Please, try not to fly a plane without training like these characters. Piloting a plane is way more complicated than when these characters makes it out to be. This was an absurd scene but I assume the author wanted to add some action, and the characters had already totaled a Hummer. I guess the next thing on the list was a plane.

So many things going on with this book that I've had a really hard time putting it all together in this review. Honestly, I really enjoyed this eleventh book of this series (hard to believe it's been going on for so long). J.R. Ward definitely knows how to keep readers coming back for more. She writes powerful romance and intense scenes that I just can't get enough of. Lover at Last is the perfect title of this book because at last, it tells the story readers have all been waiting for.

stephsig moon

Tynga is a 32 years old mom of two, from Montreal, working as a lab technician in an hospital specialized in heart disease. In her free time, she enjoys reading all things Paranormal and photography.

Follow Tynga on: Facebook | Twitter

4 People left their mark' :

  1. This is one of my favorite books in the series. I was worried going in that it was too anticipated, and sometimes for me, the book can never live up to the hype. This one did. I was so glad to see Blay and Qhuinn get their Happy Ever After.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I loved this book too, and couldn't wait for Ward to finally write it. I know that she has gotten a lot of criticism for it, both for m/m sexual scenes, and by others for not putting two males on the cover. Sometimes you just can't win! Great thoughtful review!

    ReplyDelete
  3. [* WordPress Simple Firewall plugin marked this comment as "pending" because: Human SPAM filter found "this review" in "comment_content". *]
    I LOVE this series! I really need to finish it. Thanks for this review, it reminded me about it :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. [* WordPress Simple Firewall plugin marked this comment as "pending" because: Human SPAM filter found ",no" in "comment_content". *]
    Am here to give my testimony of how i became a vampire . Long time ago,a friend of mine told me that Vampires are real and i doubted it at the first place,not until she confessed to me that she is one of them.She told me the reason she had to became a vampire, at first i was scared of her but later she made me understand that i need not to be scared and that becoming a vampire will only make me live longer than expected, become famous and be able to fight all my enemies which i later agreed to become,i never thought it was real not until recently. Am very proud to be one of them now,i have no reason to be scared to give my testimony to the world.In case you are interested,just contact the bellow email: ukvampirekingdom@yahoo.co.uk

    ReplyDelete