**Notice** Due to transfering back from a godaddy hosted wordpress blog back to blogger, reviews published before june 2017 don`t all have a pretty layout with book cover and infos. Our apologies.

Wednesday, January 07, 2015

John Dies at the End by David Wong

There are books you read for their impact on literature. There are books you read so you can escape into the story. Still other books are read because the story is so strange that sheer curiosity compels you to open it up and look inside. John Dies at the End is that kind of book.

This book is all about Dave, John and Molly (their dog) as they share adventures and soy sauce. I can’t even begin to discuss plot or story line or tropes. At times it almost comes off as a stream of consciousness experiment rather than a book or even a short story. In spite of that, there is a slight bit of cohesion in the way it’s laid out that can keep you in the story.

The storyline has nothing on the characters. There is no real character development. We get to know the most about John and Dave. The rest of the characters sort of come and go with some exceptions (can’t say who, spoilers).

With a damaged storyline and odd characters you would expect the book to be horrible. In my humble opinion, it’s actually a pretty good book. It’s unpolished and somewhat crude for the most part but, it’s very entertaining. I got this on in audiobook form which may have something to do with entertainment value I found in it. Stephen R. Thorne does an excellent job of narration. His delivery of many of the passages help the humor shine through. Yes, there is humor in the book. If you listen to the audiobook, warn others around you that you my start laughing for no apparent reason. It is often that funny.

John Dies at the End is a quirky, irreverent and entertaining book. I like to think of it as the Airplane! of the genre. There is harsh language and some violence in it that makes it a mild R rated book but, if you are in the need for a few paranormal belly laughs, this is the story for you.

Roberts Signature

Tynga is a 32 years old mom of two, from Montreal, working as a lab technician in an hospital specialized in heart disease. In her free time, she enjoys reading all things Paranormal and photography.

Follow Tynga on: Facebook | Twitter

4 People left their mark' :

  1. Sounds like a very unique read. Will be adding it to my TBR. Great review (:

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've been curious, yet hesitant, about this but you may have just won me over by calling it "the Airplane! of the genre." That works for me. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. This one always catches my attention when I spot it on the shelves. It doesn't seem quite my thing, and yet I might just have to try it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yes! This book sucked you in and kept you reading almost purely for the weird stuff going on. Will you be picking-up "This Book is Full of Spiders" by the author? I haven't decided if I want to or not yet.

    ReplyDelete