**Notice** Due to transfering back from a godaddy hosted wordpress blog back to blogger, reviews published before june 2017 don`t all have a pretty layout with book cover and infos. Our apologies.

Monday, January 12, 2015

Hit List by Laurell K. Hamilton

This is the Anita Blake that I love reading about. The kick ass US Marshal Anita Blake that hunts serial killers with preternatural abilities and always comes out on top. In the last few books of the series we hadn't seen this side of Anita very much. She was more about keeping everyone around her safe from the supernatural bad guys by having sex with everyone that crossed her path. Mind you, I don't hate that part of Anita but I did miss the old Anita before she started having orgies.

Hit List  is pretty tame when in comes to sex, compared to some of the most recent Anita Blake novel. There is only one sex scene (and it's pretty normal!), although a few other scenes have some pretty heavy petting, and there are quite a few scenes where Anita takes the time to admire the men surrounding her. The fact that there is less sex is probably because Anita has gotten better at feeding the ardeur, that metaphysical sexual need she needs to feed in order to stay strong and to keep her safe. I hope this better control of the ardeur translates in the next books because I much prefer to read Anita when she's at her best.

There was also quite a bit of posturing and Anita defending her ability to be a good Marshall, despite the fact that she has a lot of "sweeties," as she calls them. I don't know how many times she had to defend herself and prove that she was able to do the job, despite how many men she was sleeping with. And how short and womanly she is. Honestly, if I crossed paths with someone that was actively sleeping with that many men, despite all their hotness, I think I would have a hard time taking her seriously. Personally, I think Anita spent way to much time explaining herself to everyone in this book. If felt like her little speech was on repeat.

One of the best part about this book is the fact that Edward, Bernardo and Olaf are all back. When those three US Marshals/mercenaries are present, things are bound to be interesting. In Hit List we see a different side of Edward, a more sentimental and emotional side of him. He reveals a little about himself, but for Edward, a little is a lot. Bernardo is always the same, never changing and always there to lighten the mood. But Olaf... what can I say. He's had a hard on for Anita ever since they met but coming from Olaf, that's a really bad thing. Anita doesn't know if he plans on killing her, raping her or just dating her. Bottom line, I think she just doesn't want to find out, if pushed, what Olaf would do.

Like all Anita Blake  books, this story ends really quickly. Once the conflict is resolved, everything unravels really quickly, almost too quickly there always seems to be missing a few pages. It's something I've gotten used to from Laurell K. Hamilton so I'm not really surprised, but sometimes I wish she would spend as much time on the last chapter as she does on a sex scene.

The Anita Blake that got me hooked on vampires and werewolves is back and I can't wait to read the next books. I've fallen quite a few books behind because of my lack of interest in the series, but since I've read so many book already, I can't just drop it now. I just have to accept this new Anita, not that the author makes it very hard with all the hot men she surrounds her with. For those of you who have a problem with this series like I do, do give Hit List a chance. The old Anita is back and she doesn't let anyone push her around!

stephsig moon

Tynga is a 32 years old mom of two, from Montreal, working as a lab technician in an hospital specialized in heart disease. In her free time, she enjoys reading all things Paranormal and photography.

Follow Tynga on: Facebook | Twitter

3 People left their mark' :

  1. I've been a huge fan of Anita Blake. I've been reading for years. Edward is one of my favorites and I was really glad to see him in this book. I was also glad to see Anita back doing her job. I do agree that the defending herself speech was old and I was sick of hearing it. I haven't listened to Jason yet, but I'm on the waiting list at the library.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jason is my absolute favourite. Honestly, I'm catching up on this series because I just bought 'Jason' and I want to make sure to read it in order.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Amazing review Stephanie. I loved this book as well, and o Olaf. He is scary and now even scarier when this book ends. Don't get your hopes up too much though!

    ReplyDelete