**Notice** Due to transfering back from a godaddy hosted wordpress blog back to blogger, reviews published before june 2017 don`t all have a pretty layout with book cover and infos. Our apologies.

Sunday, September 20, 2009

Candor - Pam Bachorz


"Oscar Banks has everything under control. In a town where his father brainwashes everyone, he's found a way to secretly fight the subliminal Messages. He's got them all fooled: Oscar's the top student and the best-behaved teen in town. Nobody knows he's made his own Messages to deprogram his brain. Oscar has even found a way to get rich. For a hefty price, he helps new kids escape Candor, Florida before they're transformed into cookie-cutter teens. But then Nia Silva moves to Candor, and Oscar's carefully-controlled world crumbles." - Book Cover.

Candor makes me think of The Stepford Wives, with it's very own twist. Candor is a town built from scratch on top of a Florida swamp. Oscar's dad built this weird place to brainwash everyone so they all act like perfect citizens. Parents pay millions of dollars to move in with their problem child and are promised they will become good perfect kids. You smoke? We'll fix it. You have gambling problems? We'll fix it.
In Candor, nothing is to good to be true. But Oscar isn't fooled!

Oscar found out what his dad is doing and fight the system in a very unique way. He helps new children escape before they become silly clones like everyone else, while playing perfect daddy's boy. Nia will put the entire operation in danger though!

It is a pretty good debut novel from Pam Bachorz. Not my usual type of read but I liked it. Very well written, good characters choice, and a well built plot. Oscar's act is totally great, he is always fighting to keep the appearances while he wants to go wild with Nia. He faces a lot of moral debates and it adds depth to the story.
I was hoping for a happy ending so I was a bit disappointed with the end, I don't know if Pam is writing a sequel to this book but I would sure love to know what happens next!



Book stats:

Publisher: Egmontusa
Published: 22 September 2009
Format: Hardback 256 pages
See: Full bibliographic data
Categories: Science Fiction
ISBN 13: 9781606840122 ISBN 10: 1606840126

Tynga is a 32 years old mom of two, from Montreal, working as a lab technician in an hospital specialized in heart disease. In her free time, she enjoys reading all things Paranormal and photography.

Follow Tynga on: Facebook | Twitter

20 People left their mark' :

  1. Great review! I loved stepford wives, so this book must be good.. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've heard great things about this book, and I can't wait to read it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi :)
    Thank you for the great review.
    Thank you for sharing.
    I've added CANDOR to my ToBeRead list.
    All the best,
    @RKCharron
    xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love your review. I've had this one on my wish list. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. This book seems GREAT!
    I have read an interview where Pam said that she is working now in the sequel.
    Lately I found myself loving semi-realistic books like this or the hunger games =)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great review! I definitely want to read this one. :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. This sounds like something I might like. I started Another Faust & so far I really like it.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Sounds like an interesting book.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Candor has been on my list to read for a while. I love the idea and it sounds like a great book. Great review!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I'm a plot person so it sounds like something up my alley!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Seems like there was a movie (after The Stepford Wives book/movie) that dealt with kids being brainwashed, but I can't remember why this is so familiar to me! Arggh - it is going to bug me!

    ReplyDelete
  12. How interesting. I haven't read this, but I will add it on my tbr.

    ReplyDelete
  13. This story has potential, I will go ahead and add it to my tbb list.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I haven't heard of this book so thanks for the heads up!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I really want to read this, it sounds interesting!! And is very original.
    Thanks for the review!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Candor has been on my TBR list for a while. Thanks for the review!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Shawna
    weloveourdogs@juno.com

    yep your review confirmed that... I HAVE to read this book!!! Thanks so much It kinda sounds a little like the Uglies by Scott Westerfield.

    ReplyDelete
  18. I love science fiction novels like this, so Candor is definitely on my list!

    ReplyDelete
  19. From the Comment Exchange Program:
    (The book you had linked up I hadn't heard of so I thought I'd do one I do know)
    I liked this book. And I know what you mean by the whole Stepford Wives thing - it reminded me of that too.

    Yeah I haven't read Uglies yet but from what I've heard on it and from of the comments on my own review, it sounds like Candor is similar.
    It's worth a look but I wouldn't say it's a favourite to be honest.

    Nice review. Love the trailer :)

    ReplyDelete