**Notice** Due to transfering back from a godaddy hosted wordpress blog back to blogger, reviews published before june 2017 don`t all have a pretty layout with book cover and infos. Our apologies.

Tuesday, January 18, 2011

Fallen Angel by Heather Terrell

Heaven-sent?

Ellie was never particularly good at talking to boys—or anyone other than her best friend and fellow outcast, Ruth. Then she met Michael.

Michael is handsome, charming, sweet. And totally into Ellie. It’s no wonder she is instantly drawn to him. But Michael has a secret. And he knows Ellie is hiding something, too. They’ve both discovered they have powers beyond their imagining. Powers that are otherworldly.

Ellie and Michael are determined to uncover what they are, and how they got this way . . . together. But the truth has repercussions neither could have imagined. Soon they find themselves center stage in an ancient conflict that threatens to destroy everything they love. And it is no longer clear whether Ellie and Michael will choose the same side.

In this electrifying novel, Heather Terrell spins a gripping supernatural tale about true love, destiny, and the battle of good versus evil.

Ellie is a junior in her small town’s high school, and even though she’s pretty enough to hang with the popular crowd, she prefers to stay with her best friend Ruth. Her family is really intense about helping other people, so every summer they drag her to some remote third-world country to help build farms and what not. Summer activities aren’t the only thing setting her apart from normal teenagers though. Ellie started developing new weird abilities and Michael, school hottie, seems to know more about them than she does.

Fallen Angel, Heather Ferrell’s debut novel, is a very quick read, and I’m talking just a few hours. As an adult reading YA I found the beginning a bit slow and the tone a bit childish. Things got better after the first one hundred pages or so and I ended up being completely sucked in when Ellie finally meets Zeke.

The whole story turns around Ellie’s quest to discover her real identity. Not only does she have to deal with normal teenage stuff, she also has to cope with her unusual abilities. Her quest seemed believable and I’m sure teenage girls will relate to her. Ok maybe not for “the flying thing” as she calls it, but still. Michael will be by her side most of the way, with a rather interesting vampire theory. I have to confess, I wasn’t really wooed by any of the male characters, which was a bit of a let down for me, but it didn’t stop me from enjoying the book.

The mythology featured in the book was the highlight for me. I don’t want to get into details ‘cause the whole plot is about discovering Ellie’s nature, but I really enjoyed it. I’m not usually  a fan of religious references but the lore was handled nicely by the author.

Like I mentioned in my intro, the pace followed a crescendo and the book finished with a bang. I will certainly seek out the following book, Eternity, scheduled to release Summer 2011.

Overall, Fallen Angel was an enjoyable fast read, with an interesting Lore and a heart-pounding end. A read teenage girls will appreciate.

In this series:

Fallen Angel
Eternity

Book stats:

The Book Depository
  • Reading level: Young Adult
  • Paperback: 336 pages
  • Publisher: HarperTeen (December 28, 2010)
  • Language: English
  • ISBN-10: 0061965707
  • ISBN-13: 978-0061965708

     

    Book Source: Review copy sent by Harper Collins Canada

  • Tynga is a 32 years old mom of two, from Montreal, working as a lab technician in an hospital specialized in heart disease. In her free time, she enjoys reading all things Paranormal and photography.

    Follow Tynga on: Facebook | Twitter

    6 People left their mark' :

    1. Thanks for your review Tynga =) !!

      ReplyDelete
    2. I just my copy from BD and I can't wait to start it. I thought the synopsis was really good~
      I am glad you enjoyed it, I am sure I will, too!!
      Thanks for your review!

      ReplyDelete
    3. Great review! I'm looking forward to this one!

      Kristin
      MyBookishWays

      ReplyDelete
    4. Despite the flaws that you mentioned, I am still intrigued. Interested to learn more about the mythology!

      ReplyDelete
    5. Thank you for your review Tynga!!! I really want to get a copy of this soon!

      ReplyDelete
    6. The lore in this was interesting - great review!

      ReplyDelete