**Notice** Due to transfering back from a godaddy hosted wordpress blog back to blogger, reviews published before june 2017 don`t all have a pretty layout with book cover and infos. Our apologies.

Sunday, June 13, 2010

Learn more about cover creation process with Tony Mauro!

If you guys are like me, you LOVE covers and I always wanted to know more about the  creation process. Tony Mauro, who created quite a few Urban Fantasy covers, nicely answered some of my questions!

 

 

When you work on a cover, do you read the book first or meet the author/publisher? TM

  The best case scenario for me is always to read the book first. That really gives me a good feel for the characters and makes it a lot easier to bring them to life on the cover. Unfortunately, there isn't always time to do that so I'll work from a synopsis provided by the publisher which works too. My only contact is the Art Director from the publishing house. They contact me and give me direction for the cover and when I deliver my artwork it's then shown to the Editor, Publisher and Author for approval. I very rarely have any contact with the Author until after the cover is complete. Some of the authors are nice enough to shoot me an email when they see the final art to say thanks and let me know that they are happy with what I did.

 

What kind of instruction do they give you?

My direction from the art director is usually a few sentences describing the scene and the character to be portrayed. It's usually pretty open to interpretation and is lose enough for me to do 2 or 3 different versions that all answer the same problem for the client to chose from. A detailed character description is usually pretty important too. Below is an example of the actual notes I was
given for this particular book and the resulting pieces of art that I delivered.

Direction from client:

We would like to focus on heroine who is an “elemental Assassin”  She should look sexy but tough. Holding a knife in one hand and the other hand we should be able to see the spider rune on her palm. Editor would like her in jeans and tee- but sexy, with skin showing.
Setting is important. We would like to somehow get the “Pork pit” on the cover. See description:

The Pit, as locals called it, was nothing more than a hole in the wall, but it had the best barbecue in Ashland. Hell, the whole South. The outline of a pink, neon pig holding a full platter burned over the faded blue awning. I trailed my fingers over the battered brick that outlined the front door. The stone vibrated with muted, clogged contentment, like the stomachs and arteries of so many after eating here.

Art I delivered: The challenge here was shooting her at angle that would show the inside of her hand where it would look natural. The sign and store front for the pork pit were made from scratch. I hired a friend of mine that has done a lot of caricature work for help with the drawing for the sign.  

Spider's Bite_1TM Spider's Bite_2TM Spider's Bite_3TM

 

What are the main steps of the design itself?

    As soon as I get a project, the first thing I do is look at the authors previous books. This will tell me the general tone and feel of  what their reader's are used to as well as tell me how much space I will need to leave for the author's name. This is crucial for my design. Some author's names will take up the entire top half of the book which makes my design area into a square instead of a vertical  rectangle. While on the other hand some author's names are treated much smaller on the cover giving me more space to fill with my image.  Usually after reading the direction and seeing what the previous books looked like I get an image in mind of what the cover is going to be.

   The next step is casting a model (if it's a character driven piece). I use a couple different model/photographer networking sites like modelmayhem.com or OneModelPlace.com to find my models. Finding the right model is often the hardest part, it's very important to capture the right attitude,age and style  for the character and if the model is wrong the piece will never work.

    The photoshoot comes next and I'll try and cover several different poses and outfits to cover a lot of different ideas as well as potentially be used on the next book in the series if it's going to be a recurring character on the cover. The shoots generally don't take me very long because most of the
work for me comes in later on the computer when I paint it all up. The photos merely serve as a foundation for me to build off of so I'm not trying to capture the perfect photo. Next I play doctor Frankenstein on the computer and start cutting apart shots to get the best face with the best pose. Sometimes it just happens where the pose is perfect but the model had their eyes closed in that particular shot so I'll just grab a head from another shot and drop it on the body I like. I keep my lighting the same sample_1TMthroughout my entire shoot for this reason. I usually shoot the girls with their hair in a ponytail and just basic make-up so that I can paint the hair blowing around and place it right where I want it to go rather than being stuff with a shot where half of her face is covered by runaway strands of hair. The same goes for the make-up, I'll paint up her face and use the colors that are in the piece or in her outfit for her eye shadow and lip color.

   Usually I get the main character 80% finished before I start doing anything with the background. I use a lot of stock photography for the foundation of my setting. Usually it's 2 or 3 shots pieced together to make a scene which establishes a foreground, middle ground and background. You achieve the most depth by sticking to that format. On the left is a good example of utilizing FG, MG and BKGRD to establish depth.

 

What's your working place like?

I work out of my home so I have a photo-studio in my basement where I do all of my shoots and then just an office with a computer and lots of props EVERYWHERE. LOL
People always get a kick out my house because there are swords, daggers, helmets, toy guns, capes and just about any other fantasy element you can think of all over the place. Each one has been used in an illustration at one point or another.  I use one of my spare bedrooms for an office and it's all blacked out so no light comes in and also has walls adorned with swords, guns and guitars. I call it "the cave".

(click to see full version)

Office1 Office2

photostudio  studio 3

Did it ever happen that you had to completely start from scratch because a creation didn't "fit the book" ?

Luckily, this doesn't happen to often because I'm in constant communication with the art director to make sure we're all on the same page. But that being said... sometimes the author doesn't agree with the direction in the first place so we have to start from scratch and change the entire concept. It's the age old battle between the creative team and the marketing team.

Do you have a favorite cover among those you created? sample_2TM

This is a tough one for me to answer. It's kind of funny because my favorite piece may be my favorite just because of some tiny little details that only I would ever notice.
I guess I have different favorites for different reasons. Unfortunately they often end up on the  cutting room floor. This is tough for every artist but when you have a client you have to remember it's their art. Enclosed is one of my favorites that didn't make the cut as you see it here. Originally this image was done for a vampire book called First Blood. The publisher chose one of the other concepts I did for this one but later on I was asked to remove the blood from this one and it ended up getting used for a different book. I like this image because it's bold and simple. I always try and think of it as if I were in the store walking down the isle with thousands of books staring at me
would I stop and pick this one up.

l_ae20862e3ef26252c4664b0f34ad1671 

That's about it, thanks so much for the opportunity to share my work and process with you and be sure to check out my website at www.darkdayproductions.com.
-Tony Mauro

Archangel's Kiss - Small

 

Thank you so much Tony for answering my questions, it’s greatly appreciated!

I think your cover of Archangel’s Kiss by Nalini Singh is my personal favorite =)

Feel free to show some love to Tony by leaving a comment <3

Tynga is a 32 years old mom of two, from Montreal, working as a lab technician in an hospital specialized in heart disease. In her free time, she enjoys reading all things Paranormal and photography.

Follow Tynga on: Facebook | Twitter

19 People left their mark' :

  1. I've always thought cover artists much work really heard to get the cover where it is. I liked hearing from the artist! I think he's created some really, really great covers!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow this was a very enlighteneing and interesting post/interview! Great idea Tynga to investigate the cover in front of the story and thank you Tony for giving us a glimpse into the behind the scenes of cover-making, I very much enjoyed rading about it! (And let me tell you, I prefer the 1st version of First Blood much mpre than the 2nd one, much more unique and attention grabbing).

    Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. The covers are simply awesome! They really stand out and are, in my opinion, very unique in the Urban Fantasy genre. My favorite one is, I guess the Spider´s bIte cover!
    And your apartment looks awesome, if I may add. I love the colors! And the swords. And the guitars. ;)
    Thanks so much for this Interview/post!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Aloha Tony!!

    Aloha Tynga!!

    I read Spider Bites and was so smitten with the book and the book cover. I actually mentioned it in my review and had googled Tony's name!

    Thank you for including that snippet "Direction from the client." Very Cool! You definitely delivered. In fact, I swear I found the exact part of the book the covers was depicting. lol!

    Actually... I love all three covers of the series!
    You mentioned your favorite cover was one because you included details... well, I love these covers for the same reason.
    Did you do the third one as well. I assume so since but not sure!

    Anyways, thanks for coming over and doing this Q&A. I am very fascinated by covers and artwork. I wish I had a pinky of the talent you and other artists like you have.

    Aloha!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow, Tony your work is Amazing! Love it!

    ReplyDelete
  6. tony, thank you for the gorgeous covers that you create! they're beautiful...

    k_sunshine1977 at yahoo dot com

    ReplyDelete
  7. Tony's covers are awesome! My fav is the Ghostland and Spider-Touched covers by author Jory Strong. Thanks for the insight

    ReplyDelete
  8. wow wow wow! Those are some seriously amazing covers! Nice freakin work, Tony!

    ReplyDelete
  9. This was a fascinating post and I love Tony's work, he's awesome.

    ReplyDelete
  10. cool post! love learning about behind-the-scenes kinda stuff.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Its always interesting to see the 'scraped' ideas and coverart for books I love. Especially when the art takes a different spin (like with First Blood. I always wonder if my perception would have been different had it been a different cover.

    thanks for the great interview!!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Thank you so much Tony for sharing all the details and work that goes into creating these gorgeous covers. Simply amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Thanks for this post! I love hearing how the covers come about - I'm such a cover junkie!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Thank you Tony and Tynga for doing this post! It was really interesting to read about. I always suspected it was hard work to be a cover designer and it's nice to know that when he can, he reads the book to get a feel for the whole book.

    I don't read much Urban Fatnasy but I love the covers, the ones featured here are gorgeous! Especially the first True Blood one, I love the blood and the skin is almost weathered? I guess? It's cool!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I'm seriously lovin' your style on the cover art! And Archangel's Kiss is a book I am looking forward to as well!

    ReplyDelete
  16. I loved the cover of Spiders Bite, and to hear a little bit about how that fab cover was created makes me grin :)

    Thank you so much Tony!
    -jess

    ReplyDelete
  17. Awesome covers and great post, Steph

    ReplyDelete
  18. This was a very interesting interview. I've heard authors talk about their covers, but I enjoyed hearing about it from the artist's perspective. I like Spider's Bite, but Archangel's Kiss is one of my favorites.

    ReplyDelete
  19. What a great post! I'm always fascinated by covers and the process to create one. This is such interesting information and I LOVE your covers! I'll be looking for more!

    ReplyDelete