**Notice** Due to transfering back from a godaddy hosted wordpress blog back to blogger, reviews published before june 2017 don`t all have a pretty layout with book cover and infos. Our apologies.

Saturday, January 09, 2016

Stacking The Shelves {193}

Stacking the Shelves


Stacking The Shelves is all about sharing the books you are adding to your shelves, may it be physical or virtual. This means you can include books you buy in physical store or online, books you borrow from friends or the library, review books, gifts and of course ebooks!


If you want to find out more about Stacking The Shelves, please visit the official launch page!


——————


Hello All!! I hope you all had a great Holiday Season as we have here in the formerly Sunny (now Soggy) San Diego ;)  I started off my New Year by setting a goal on the GoodReads Reading Challenge.  I went for the easy goal of 50 books for the year.  Here's how I started out!


STS Jan 16




  • I really enjoyed The Mermaid's Sister and gave it a fitting review earlier this week.  It's a really good story for younger readers.

  • Way on the other end of the spectrum is Feral Sins by Suzanne Wright.  I'll be posting more on that one next week.

  • Genghis Khan and the Making of the Modern World is an excellent book to learn about how the Mongols influenced the entire civilized world.  I also found it interesting to see some of the best sci-fi and fantasy plots and tropes show up.

  • Some Fine Day by Kat Ross is an interesting Post Apocalyptic story.  It's an intriguing concept that could have been split into two more in depth books.

  • Crow Hollow by Michael Wallace is a 18th century period piece.  Nothing supernatural or other worldly so far.  Just an entertaining story.

  • Kiss of Steel by Bec McMaster is another of mature selections of this bunch.  It's a fascinating retelling of some of our favorite classic paranormal stories.


So, tell me, what how have you started this year's reading?


 Roberts Signature

Tynga is a 32 years old mom of two, from Montreal, working as a lab technician in an hospital specialized in heart disease. In her free time, she enjoys reading all things Paranormal and photography.

Follow Tynga on: Facebook | Twitter

75 People left their mark' :

  1. You have some pretty serious-looking books on there, Robert :) I hope you'll enjoy them all!
    Happy new year, and good luck on your reading goal.

    ps: there's no linky :(

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have The Mermaid's Sister on my TBR and am looking forward to reading it. I haven't heard of the rest of your books but it's always good to find out about new authors. Happy reading!

    https://rathertoofondofbooks.wordpress.com/2016/01/09/weekly-wrap-up-and-stacking-the-shelves-9th-january/

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good luck on your goal... Looks like you're off to a great start :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. That is quite a haul!

    Here is my link:

    http://collettaskitchensink.blogspot.com/2016/01/stacking-shelves-1916.html

    Colletta

    ReplyDelete
  5. Good luck and happy reading !
    http://happythoughtsnlife.blogspot.in/2016/01/stacking-shelves.html?m=1

    ReplyDelete
  6. where is the linky? Couldn't find it.

    ReplyDelete
  7. 6 books already! That's a great way to start! My goal was for 120 but I lowered it to 50 because I don't want to only focus on reading this year. Anyway, good luck on your goals!

    PS: no linky

    ReplyDelete
  8. 6 books already is a very impressive start, I'm sure you will smash your goal! Good luck :)

    Here's my STS

    ReplyDelete
  9. This is quite a variety of books, Robert! The Mermaids Sister looks really interesting. I have seen Michael Wallace's books before and may even have a couple but have never actually read any of his work. I will look forward to your review.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wow! You certainly had a great week! I love the covers from some of the books, especially Kiss of Steal. Great haul and good luck in your challenge !

    ReplyDelete
  11. Kiss Of Steel sounds quite interesting - I'm sure I've heard of or seen Bec McMaster's books before but I've not read anything by her.

    I've ended up reading a few romance books recently (I just started working at a major romance publisher) but I'm also reading The Tropic Of Serpents by Marie Brennan which is lots of fun - dragons are always good :)

    ~Ailsa

    ReplyDelete
  12. http://thebestbasicblogger.blogspot.com/2016/01/stacking-shelves-5.html

    ReplyDelete
  13. I'm a fan of Bec McMaster's stuff. I like the marriage between urban fantasy and historical romance. Good books! :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. Proud it seems like you've enjoyed most of your reads so far this year. I've read Alexandra Bracken's Passenger (really enjoyed!), Elle Kennedy's The Score (Dean may have beat Garrett out to be my favorite-loved!), and now I'm currently reading Brighton Walsh's Paige in Progress (her writing and characters just do it for me!).

    Happy weekend and happy reading!

    ~Christina

    ReplyDelete
  15. Great list! Here is my end of the year book haul:
    http://lynnsfilmandbookreview.blogspot.be/2016/01/stacking-shelves-end-of-year-book-haul.html

    ReplyDelete
  16. Great haul! Crow Hollow and Kiss of Steel are on my TBR. Happy reading!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Kiss of Steel looks interesting, and I bet Genghis Kahn would be educational. Nice.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Those look like great books. I love Suzanne Wright. Have a great week!

    Diane @ Diane's Book Blog

    ReplyDelete
  19. Great haul....enjoy! There's no linky...so here's my link:

    https://accidentalmoments.wordpress.com/2016/01/09/weekly-updates-lets-immerse-ourselves-in-2016/

    ReplyDelete
  20. Great start to the year! You should manage 50 with no problems if you keep that up, lots of luck :)

    ReplyDelete
  21. 50 books sounds like a nice achieveable goal. I've heard good things about Crow Hollow. Hope you like it.

    ReplyDelete
  22. I upped my goal by 25 from last year for a total of 225. I pretty much do that every year. ;) With all the audio I listen to, this is entirely doable. Good luck on your own goal!

    I was interested in The Mermaid's Sister, but seeing that you call it a good read for YOUNGER readers, I think I'll skip it.

    Here's how my week went: The Weekend Update - 1.9.15. Have a great weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  23. That is quite a range of books! If you can read six books in a week, maybe you should up the number of books in your GoodReads challenge! Here is my link to my Stacking The Shelves: http://ponderingtheprose.blogspot.com/2016/01/stacking-shelves-13.html
    Have a great weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  24. Good Luck with your reading goals for this year. I am challenging myself to read at least 52 books this year.

    Here is my stacking the shelves for this week: http://cindysloveofbooks.com/2016/01/the-mailbox-post-january-4th-9th/

    ReplyDelete
  25. Those books look amazing! Kiss of Steel is also on my tbr list :D
    Happy reading!

    ReplyDelete
  26. Kiss of Steel looks like a great book! That's a great haul this week! I really love the cover for The Mermaid's Sister

    ReplyDelete
  27. I like the look of Kiss of Steel. It sounds interesting!

    ReplyDelete
  28. I think you forgot the link! Please add soon.

    ReplyDelete
  29. Are we just linking in comments now?
    http://blkosiner.blogspot.com/2016/01/stacking-shelves-sunday-post-bought_9.html

    ReplyDelete
  30. It's been a while since I have posted a STS - did the linky get removed???

    ReplyDelete
  31. The mermaids sister has a beautiful cover. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  32. Considering you've already read 6, I think you will hit your goal easily. We're in California too, and the rain has been a refreshing change. Happy Reading!

    ReplyDelete
  33. All new to me, I'm seeing a lot of new things this week from people.
    Happy reading.

    ReplyDelete
  34. I've heard only good things about Kiss of Steel!!! Woot woot!! Enjoy!!

    ReplyDelete
  35. This is my very first edition of Stacking the Shelves, so I am pretty excited! Can't say that I have read all of the ones in my haul! Lol
    https://novelcravings.wordpress.com/2016/01/09/stacking-the-shelves

    ReplyDelete
  36. https://worthgettinginbedfor.wordpress.com/2016/01/09/stacking-the-shelves/

    First week, squeal, love looking at everyone's lists and shelves. Has this actually decreased or increased your book acquiring?

    ReplyDelete
  37. Good luck with the new challenge. I'm curious about Mermaid's Sister. Enjoy.
    my sts: http://vvb32reads.blogspot.com/2016/01/stacking-shelves-1916.html

    ReplyDelete
  38. I set an even easier goal of 35 books and I've read 2 so far, both of which I liked, so that's a good start! I don't know any of the books you mentioned, but I hope you enjoy your next reads. :)

    ReplyDelete
  39. My goal is 100 this year - a big step up from the original 2015 goal of just 12 books!

    Best of luck on your goals!

    My STS

    ReplyDelete
  40. It's usually up. I'm hoping this week was just an "Oops" moment.

    ReplyDelete
  41. Welcome to Stacking the Shelves Jessica!

    ReplyDelete
  42. Great covers! I'll have to look these up!

    ReplyDelete
  43. Every time I see The Mermaid's Sister, I can't help but fall a little more in love with the cover--it's so pretty!

    Here's hoping these books live up to your expectations! :)

    ReplyDelete
  44. Kiss of Still looks fun! I added a handful of physical books in the past week. I always like setting my Goodreads goal each year. Good luck with your 50!

    ReplyDelete
  45. Kiss of Steel looks fun! I added a handful of physical books in the past week. I always like setting my Goodreads goal each year. Good luck with your 50!

    ReplyDelete
  46. Here's mine =)

    https://bookishsya.wordpress.com/2016/01/09/stacking-the-shelves/

    ReplyDelete
  47. My StS for this week: http://www.shellsstories.com/2016/01/stacking-shelves-second-try-edition.html

    ;)

    ReplyDelete
  48. Interesting books on your list. Here's my post
    http://socratesbookreviews.blogspot.com/2016/01/sundaymonday-posts-january-10th-and-11th.html

    ReplyDelete
  49. Kiss of Steel (and the whole series) is really awesome! Hope you enjoy it!
    Good luck with your challenge!

    Here's my STS (:

    ReplyDelete
  50. I managed to read 5 books this week! I've been participating in the GoodReads challenge for at least 3 years and it's been great. This year I'm hoping to read at least 150 books. I used to challenge myself for more but it's really hard to find time for additional reading while in uni :)

    ReplyDelete
  51. Wow! Those are quite some books you have to read! By seeing your photo there, they sound right up your alley, though! You are going to enjoy them VERY much!
    One thing though, we are missing the linky-link-up. That is where everyone signs up and it looks like a chart and EVERYONE can see it and we can ALL HOP to each other's blogs and read their posts, too! We are MISSING THAT SO BAD!!! If you look at some older posts another poster there does, you'll see what I'm talking about.
    Thanks for listening! We HOPE to see it next week!!!
    Laurie

    ReplyDelete
  52. Awesome haul! All of those books look good. Great way to start the new year!

    ReplyDelete
  53. OOoh nice! Those are all new to me reads! Hope you enjoy them all!

    Here's my STS

    Have a GREAT day!

    Old Follower :)

    ReplyDelete
  54. Fab haul here is mine from this week...

    http://aggiesbooks.blogspot.co.uk/2016/01/weekly-wrap-up-and-stacking-shelves_10.html

    ReplyDelete
  55. An easy goal isn't bad! It's nice to have something you know you can accomplish. :D

    ReplyDelete
  56. I really struggled with "The Mermaid's Sister". Happy reading!

    http://tsukibooks.blogspot.com/2016/01/stacking-shelves-january-9weekly-wrap-up.html

    ReplyDelete
  57. Love the new layout!

    http://www.anurseandabook.com/2016/01/weekly-book-hauljanuary-10-2016.html

    ReplyDelete
  58. Nice start! Here's mine! http://bambi-unbridled.blogspot.com/2016/01/stackin-shelves-15.html

    ReplyDelete
  59. Looks like some good books this week! Hope you enjoy them!

    ReplyDelete
  60. Very nice haul this week.

    Here is mine. http://ceresbooksworld.com/2016/01/10/stacking-the-shelves-76/

    ReplyDelete
  61. Here's my link:
    http://hiddeninpages.com/2016/01/09/stacking-the-shelves-and-showcase-sunday-1916/

    ReplyDelete
  62. Kiss of Steel looks good. Happy reading all! Here's ours: Bibliojunkies ~ Bel

    ReplyDelete
  63. Cool list! This is my first time doing Stacking the Shelves here's my link https://hootreads.wordpress.com/2016/01/11/stacking-the-shelves-1/

    ReplyDelete
  64. That Kat Ross cover is fantastic!

    ReplyDelete
  65. Those look like some great reads.

    ReplyDelete
  66. Thank you all for all the great comments, the patients and indeed the links. I do apologize for the missing linkys this week. I wasn't able to get it into this week's post but, rest assured that it will be there next week! I especially want to apologize to the first timers in the group. I hope you return this coming Saturday when another member of Team Tynga will share their latest literature acquisitions. I've found my own selections this time around to be a mixed bag of surprises so, there may be a little something for everyone to try out.
    Thanks again for your patience and I look forward to the next time I get to share with you all!!
    Happy Reading!!!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  67. No real problems outside of the typical technical glitches. Thanks for asking, Xxertz :)

    ReplyDelete
  68. Ahh, technical glitches - our reminder of how reliant we are on technology. Happy you're doing okay :)

    ReplyDelete