**Notice** Due to transfering back from a godaddy hosted wordpress blog back to blogger, reviews published before june 2017 don`t all have a pretty layout with book cover and infos. Our apologies.

Thursday, July 23, 2015

New Moon by Stephenie Meyer

Just a heads up, in case you've been locked in a bunker for the last decade:  New Moon is the second book in the Twilight Saga.  So if you haven't read Twilight, you might want to check out that review first.

As I mentioned in that review, I'm reading these fresh.  I never read them during the big hype about 10 years ago.  In fact, I'm a little afraid to admit this, but I was a Twilight teaser.  I teased folks who read and loved it.  :(  I'm so sorry!  Now I'm reading them and I get it.

The writing isn't bad at all!  In fact, it's pretty good.  And the pacing feels right also.  Yes, there is teen angst.  And yes, there are moments when you want to reach into the book and give Bella a good shake and make her reconsider her life choices.  But overall, it's not too shabby.  And it's hard for the library employee in me to "put down" any book that gets folks reading.

While Twilight focused nearly entirely on developing Bella's character and her relationship with Edward, New Moon focuses more on Bella and her friendship with Jacob.  And I LOVED that!  Even in Twilight, when Bella was dating Edward, I was wanting more Jacob.  From that first party on the beach, he just seemed so sweet.  I'm not that old, and I can remember being a teen and wanting to do nothing but be with the boyfriend.  Now that I'm (supposedly) an adult, I recognize the value of balancing time at work with time with the hubby and time with friends, but teens are so very in-the-moment.  They often get caught up in these 20 minutes or so, and don't always think about the big picture.  In this way, Stephenie Meyer created such a believable character in Bella.  She makes some highly questionable decisions, but she's so genuine about it.  She so often thinks she's doing the right thing... even when she isn't.

I loved seeing her friendship with Jacob develop.  And I loved the slight "mystery" surrounding Jacob in the second half of the book or so.  No spoilers, so I can't even tell you what is mysterious about Jacob!  Somehow I managed to never hear about the spoiler during the hype.  (Lucky stars, I guess!)  I totally figured it out before Bella, but I think that's because I knew what kind of genre this book fit in.  And I was enjoying the unfolding of their friendship so much that I didn't even care that I was faster on the uptake than Bella!

Part of the appeal of these books has been the audiobook narration.  Ilyana Kadushin is fantastic!  I think these are the first books I've heard read by her, and I hope the next two are read by her too.  She gives Bella a very authentic voice, has clear and steady speech, good pacing, and fantastic enunciation.

And for those of you out there curious:  at the end of New Moon, I'm Team Jacob.  That could change after Eclipse, but for now that's where I stand.

Marie

P.S. I feel a little silly asking this, but can anyone explain the titles to me?  I thought I might have just missed something with Twilight, but then New Moon was never clearly explained.  Perhaps to do with Jacob's situation?  But then what does "twilight" reference?  I hate feeling left out of the loop!

Tynga is a 32 years old mom of two, from Montreal, working as a lab technician in an hospital specialized in heart disease. In her free time, she enjoys reading all things Paranormal and photography.

Follow Tynga on: Facebook | Twitter

7 People left their mark' :

  1. I think you're right, Marie, the title probably refers to Jason. It may also be a nod to Bella being in a new phase of her life with all her interactions with Jacob, Edward and her new friends. The first book was all 'moody teenager in a new place' where this is 'moody teenager settling in'. And, yes, I realize 'moody teenager' may be consider redundant :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. New Moon is the phase, when there is no visible moon at all at night. When Edward leaves and Bella follows and gets lost in the woods: "Tonight the sky was utterly black. Perhaps there was no moon tonight—a lunar eclipse, a new moon." The title refers to the darkest period for Bella and Edward.
    Twilight for me refers to the end of their happy days and the anticipation of the break up. Edward believes he has to leave after James and Bella knows it.They both feel it's going to end sooner or later. From the epilogue of Twilight:"Twilight, again," he murmured. "Another ending. No matter how perfect the day is, it always has to end.""Some things don't have to end," I muttered through my teeth, instantly tense."

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'd like to add that I googled and there are other explanations of the title Twilight. This question is answered by S. Meyer in the FAQs on her website, but she doesn't give an exact explanation. For me Twilight always felt as a metaphor for this initial stage of their relationship, when Edward thinks that it's wrong to be with Bella, to put her at risk or to change her, and the dark end, when he'd decide to leave, is always near.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you so much SMR! That does make sense, and kudos for having quotes to reference! I checked out Eclipse today. Can't believe I'm already halfway through the series!

    ReplyDelete
  5. "'moody teenager' may be considered redundant"... lol. I was talking to a coworker about the book, and we agreed that the whole first half of it could be summed up in "teenage angst." Then the plot kicks in and it gets really good! It kind of reminded us of the first part of Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows movie.

    ReplyDelete
  6. You are welcome! Thank you for the thoughtful, well-meaning review! It is rare to find on the Internet a review, which is not influenced by the predominant negativity and derision. Have fun reading! :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Well, better late than never, they say. I never read them either, but I watched all three movies on the DVDs when my daughter bought them. :)
    @dino0726 from 
    FictionZeal - Impartial, Straighforward Fiction Book Reviews

    ReplyDelete