**Notice** Due to transfering back from a godaddy hosted wordpress blog back to blogger, reviews published before june 2017 don`t all have a pretty layout with book cover and infos. Our apologies.

Wednesday, July 08, 2015

Club Dead (Book 3 of the Sookie Stackhouse Mysteries) by Charlaine Harris

This is a review of Club Dead, Book 3 of the Sookie Stackhouse series. If you haven’t read, but may someday in the future want to read the previous books, please come back once you have. Unless, of course, you like spoilers, because, I’m likely to spoil the heck out of the first three books right off the bat.

Here I am in book 3 already, and I still, get a little tripped up by differences in the book Sookie and the TV show Sookie. Along with Sookie’s more pronounced physical attributes in the book, she also seems to be less likely to believe in her own appeal. I think it’s an interesting character trait that is realistic. I we use the other characters reaction to Sookie, we get a slightly different picture of her. They seem to see her as a strong willed, sharp minded and rustically beautiful woman. It’s really the only thing that explains how she can be the center of gravity to so many odd and dangerous events. Little things like a maenad causing a small group from Bon Temps, including her best friend Tara, to lose all sexual control right before Sookie’s eyes.

In this installment, we meet Alcide Herveaux, surveyor from Mississippi. Alcide is commissioned by Eric to help Sookie with a little project. As to be expected, the situation around this project isn’t quite what people expect. Though this is not a straight forward murder mystery, there are elements of one woven throughout the story. There are many dead bodies that show up but, for the most part, you know who the culprit is. It’s all that surrounds these events that makes the real mystery.

This story is easy to follow and makes sense even with the twists and turns it follows. My only real disappointment was with the lack of a secondary plot. In the first two books, there were at least two plots going on almost simultaneously and I thought that gave the stories a bit more authenticity. After all, life doesn’t occur consecutively. All too often, things happen concurrently and inconveniently.

This is still a worthy addition to the Sookie Stackhouse collection and I am still enjoying the journey. As always, this book is intended for a mature audience with the violence, language and sex scenes. I would put this deep in the R rated area.

Roberts Signature

Tynga is a 32 years old mom of two, from Montreal, working as a lab technician in an hospital specialized in heart disease. In her free time, she enjoys reading all things Paranormal and photography.

Follow Tynga on: Facebook | Twitter

4 People left their mark' :

  1. I loved when Alcide was introduced. He was one of my favorite characters.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm probably in the minority when I say, I believe Sookie would be better off with Alcide. Nice guy, owns his own business and has a friendly sister, what's not to like. If it wasn't for the psycho ex he'd be perfect for her.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That's how I felt too Robert

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm sooo missing out. I haven't read any of this series yet, but want to.
    @dino0726 from 
    FictionZeal - Impartial, Straighforward Fiction Book Reviews

    ReplyDelete