**Notice** Due to transfering back from a godaddy hosted wordpress blog back to blogger, reviews published before june 2017 don`t all have a pretty layout with book cover and infos. Our apologies.

Monday, October 13, 2014

Repossessed by Shawntelle Madison

When I saw REPOSSESSED on Netgalley, I was quite excited. After all, I've really loved the Coveted books so far. (You can see my thoughts on the first two books here and here). But REPOSSESSED didn't have the same magic as COVETED or KEPT, unfortunately. In fact, I had to force myself to complete it, which was really disappointing.

First, let's accentuate the positive to start: I love that Madison features an Asian main character. Rob is Korean American and I can't remember the last time that I read a book with an Asian lead. (No, wait, it was THE IMMORTAL RULES. :) But I'm still stymied about an Asian hero.) I really appreciate racial diversity in books, especially since it's unfortunately rare.

Another good point is the world. REPOSSESSED is set in the Coveted world but it doesn't involve any werewolves. Instead, it focuses on witches and warlocks. According to the fore matter, Madison wrote REPOSSESSED before COVETED and this is how she started establishing the Coveted world; there's really not much overlap since REPOSSESSED focuses on a completely separate area (likely also because her publisher owns the rights to the Coveted characters). In some ways, this made the book feel less well defined but I did enjoy exploring how magic works in the Coveted universe, with differences between warlocks and wizards, etc.

My big problem with this novel is that I didn't connect with the characters. I liked them okay and I felt bad for Tessa and her money troubles but I wasn't able to invest in their relationship or them as individuals. It's not that they were one-dimensional or poorly written; there was just something about the two of them that didn't click. I know it's a vague criticism and I wish I could be more specific about what left me so neutral but it's hard to describe something that doesn't really elicit a strong feeling one way or the other.  And in some ways, I think that's even worse because strong stories make feel, positively or negatively, and that truly was lacking for me.

REPOSSESSED is an okay book. It's not essential reading if you're following the Coveted storyline and there are far stronger examples of Madison's writing out there. Sad to say, but my suggestion would be to pass on this particular novel and invest your money and/or time in one of her other series.

Jenn

Tynga is a 32 years old mom of two, from Montreal, working as a lab technician in an hospital specialized in heart disease. In her free time, she enjoys reading all things Paranormal and photography.

Follow Tynga on: Facebook | Twitter

0 comments:

Post a Comment