**Notice** Due to transfering back from a godaddy hosted wordpress blog back to blogger, reviews published before june 2017 don`t all have a pretty layout with book cover and infos. Our apologies.

Friday, October 17, 2014

Mortal Heart by Robin LaFevers

Mortal Heart, final book in the Fair Assassin series, was Amazing - with a capital A. I loved every book in the series, and even though I wasn't particularly fond of Annith in the previous books, this installment turned out to be my favorite!

Annith, the ever talented daughter of Mortain, mastered every art to serve Death as well as she possibly could. If only she would be sent on a mission! With her two best friends already away from the convent she can't wait to go on the field as well, but the Abbess has a different plan in mind. When she is convinced the Abbess isn't acting in the best interest of the girls, she won't let a simple thing such as a direct order get in her way to the truth. Much more truth than she bargained for.

Writing this review is actually very challenging for me because it's hard to find the words to express how much I loved this book without giving any spoilers away! I guess I'll start with the characters. We've know Annith since the first book, and I honestly didn't like her. She came across as a kind of stuck-up-know-it-all and it couldn't be farther from the truth. Mortal Heart opens a window to her painful past and I discovered a huge respect for her along the way. She was ill treated her whole life and in this novel she discovers the shocking truth behind it all. I was simply speechless and the reveals were worst and worst as the story progressed. It really is a wonder she not only survived, but became such a strong and fierce woman.

At some point she gathers her courage and leaves the convent to seek justice and she finds a sexy Hellequin on the way. Hellequins are a bunch of redemption seekers hunting souls for Mortain himself. Balthazar, their leader, is awkwardly but undeniably attracted to Annith and it was just amazing. Balthazar was like a lighthouse in this story and its kind of ironic since he is so dark and brooding. His relationship with Annith was a delight, and my favorite of the three love stories of the series. This sexy specimen holds many secrets and one of them knocked my socks off. I literally reread the passage to make sure I interpreted the facts right!

I don't want to say anything about the plot other than that it is freaking amazing! Mortal Heart is a long novel, but I was completely hooked and couldn't turn the pages fast enough. It's not really action packed, but the mystery surrounding Annith just kept me breathless. I was rooting for her and would've gladly stormed by her side to seek answers.

The time period is one I truly enjoy and LaFevers did an awesome job delivering the story, just as she did for the previous books. Mortal Heart is publicized as the last book of His Fair Assassin trilogy, but I truly hope there is more stories from this world to be written. In fact, the conclusion, fantastic and stunning as it was, lead me to believe there could be a story about the young Duchess in the future. Or maybe it is wishful thinking on my part?

I would conclude this review by urging you to read this series if you haven't picked it up yet. Every book is better than the one before, and the first one was absolutely addictive, so buckle up, you're in for a (horse)ride!


tynsig

Tynga is a 32 years old mom of two, from Montreal, working as a lab technician in an hospital specialized in heart disease. In her free time, she enjoys reading all things Paranormal and photography.

Follow Tynga on: Facebook | Twitter

5 People left their mark' :

  1. [* WordPress Simple Firewall plugin marked this comment as "0" because: Human SPAM filter found "!!!" in "comment_content". *]
    One of my most anticipated reads. And, now you've made it worse! Great review. I do have it, from Edelweiss also, but I have a few more to read before I can get to this one!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. OK. Lesson learned. No more triple exclamation marks!

    ReplyDelete
  3. hahaha You wont be disappointed!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I CAN'T WAIT! Awesome review and I'm super excited for this last book! I adored Grave Mercy and Dark Triumph!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Awesome review and I can't wait to get my hands on this book! I really like the time period in His Fair Assassin trilogy as well. Ya, Annith didn't seem as tough as the others but I hope I win the giveaway. *hoping and crossing my fingers *

    ReplyDelete