**Notice** Due to transfering back from a godaddy hosted wordpress blog back to blogger, reviews published before june 2017 don`t all have a pretty layout with book cover and infos. Our apologies.

Thursday, October 16, 2014

City of Lost Souls by Cassandra Clare

City of Lost Souls has been my favorite Mortal Instruments book so far.  At Book 5, I finally understand the fandom, and I am looking forward to City of Heavenly Fire, Book 6.

City of Lost Souls picks up only a few weeks after the end of City of Fallen Angels.  Jace is still missing, as is Sebastian, and Clary finds out the Lilith has tied Jace and Sebastian together.  She's tied them together so tightly, in fact, that everything that Jace feels, Sebastian also feels, and vice versa.  This means that killing Sebastian would also kill Jace, so Clary, Isabelle, Alec, Magnus, etc. all realize that they must find Jace, they must find a way to sever the tie to Sebastian, and they must tread carefully as they go.  The Council, however, sees things a bit differently.  To them, Sebastian is such a great danger that they are willing to sacrifice Jace's life in order to destroy Sebastian.  Thus begins a very exciting race between the Shadowhunters of the New York Institute and the Council.

Cassandra Clare did an excellent job with character growth in City of Fallen Angels, and in City of Lost Souls we get to see a lot of characters' relationships grow.  I love that!  This is Book 5 in the Mortal Instruments series, so by now the reader really knows the characters: their mannerisms, their goals, their feelings.  We know (and love!) Jace's dry sense of humor and Clary's impetuousness and Isabelle's fierce (almost to a fault) loyalty to her friends and family and Alec's sensitivity and Simon's peacekeeping talents.  I don't want to give spoilers, but there are some romantic relationships forged in this volume, and I found myself cheering for them all the way.  That being said, while this book is found in the YA section of bookstore and libraries, the reader may want to be aware that there are a few brief non-graphic "behind bedroom doors" moments.

I thought that City of Lost Souls has been one of the most action-packed titles in the Mortal Instruments series.  It's non-stop!  One of my few beefs with City of Fallen Angels was the multiple angsty lets-talk-about-feelings scenes; you find almost none of that here.  Yes, the characters still have feelings, but they squeeze those in between all the action, and they're mostly "action" moments too: quick, passionate, intimate moments where there is definitely more "showing" than "telling."   And last but not least, let's talk about the ending.  It is definitely skillful writing to have a book end like this one.  The main plot of this individual title was resolved while still leaving enough questions to carry the overarching plot of the series into the sixth and final book.  I am definitely left wanting more, and can't wait to start in on City of Heavenly Fire!

**A Note on Narration:  I listened to City of Lost Souls on CD, and the narration was fantastic.  I truly think that the narration on this book actually improved my experience over reading a print version.  Molly Quinn narrates City of Lost Souls solo.  She is the same female narrator from City of Fallen Angels.  I really loved her part on that title, while not really digging the male narrator, so I was very excited to see her name on the CD case.  She has a nice, even tone and cadence that is never boring, but also never requires me to fiddle with the volume controls chapter to chapter.

[youtube http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S_FUJU3q9xY&w=560&h=315]


 

Marie

Tynga is a 32 years old mom of two, from Montreal, working as a lab technician in an hospital specialized in heart disease. In her free time, she enjoys reading all things Paranormal and photography.

Follow Tynga on: Facebook | Twitter

4 People left their mark' :

  1. Thank you for a spoiler free review! I finished the first book earlier this year and I was left frustrated. I know that it could be a series I loved but I had issues with Clary and how she seemed to let everyone else do everything.

    Should I bother picking up the next book? Does that improve? I guess as you've read the latest book you think it does, but I'm curious about what you think.

    ReplyDelete
  2. She takes more control of her life as the story progress. Have you read Clockwork Angel? Its a spin off trilogy i love even more than the original TMI

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree completely with Tynga! Clary does start to come into her own as the books progress. I always like when characters learn and grow throughout a series. I also second her opinion that the Infernal Devices trilogy (Clockwork Angel, Clockwork Prince, and Clockwork Princess) are even better: a little more steampunk, and set in Victorian England!

    Has anyone tried any of Cassandra Clare's Mortal Instruments novellas? Any good?

    ReplyDelete
  4. I own the Bane Chronicles (LOVE MAGNUS!) but I haven't read it yet

    ReplyDelete