**Notice** Due to transfering back from a godaddy hosted wordpress blog back to blogger, reviews published before june 2017 don`t all have a pretty layout with book cover and infos. Our apologies.

Friday, August 15, 2014

Magic Bites by Ilona Andrews

Back in 2011 Jenn dared us to read Magic Bites by Ilona Andrews, and I finally picked it up (better late then never right?). I've had the book in print for years, but there was a recent sale on amazon with each ebook in the series (except the most recent one) on sale for 2$ a piece so I jumped on the opportunity and read it on my kindle (which is much more convenient for middle of the night reading).

Magic Bites takes place in a dystopian set up where we pushed technology so far that it crashed and ancient magic took control. Magic flickers in and out, kicking modern technology out of service randomly, which is quite inconvenient, and eats away the old skyscrapers, leaving destruction in its wake. I have to confess, it took me quite a while to fully grasp the extend of this weird world, but now that I have a picture in my mind, I really like it.

Kate is the perfect urban fantasy heroine, she's strong, independent, foul-mouthed and has some kind of mysterious power. On her quest to find a dear friend's killer, she is confronted with the perfect paranormal romance hero, Curran. He is fierce, stubborn, and scary as hell. No romance has developed thus far, but I'm sure there is some in store in the following novels. I really liked both characters and I can't wait to learn more about them and their bulging relationship.

Ilona Andrews created quite an amazing lore. On one side you have the Pack, a collection of shapechangers lead by Curran, on the other side you have the People, a group of necromancers mind-controlling vampires like they are tools. There are many kind of vampires in literature, but it's the first time I see them portrayed as vulgar mindless puppets. I was quite surprised! Kate also possess some weird magic in her blood (a legacy from her mysterious father) and I'm really curious about the details!

If I had one complain about this novel it would be that there a lot of meaningful secondary characters. It isn't a bad thing in itself, but i have a terrible memory when it comes to characters' names and I struggled keeping track of everyone involved in this murder investigation. That being said, I grew quite fond of Derek, a fun youngster and I'm very curious about Saiman even though he only makes a short appearance in this novel.

The conclusion was full of action and I will pick up the second novel sooner rather than later ^^

tynga

 

Tynga is a 32 years old mom of two, from Montreal, working as a lab technician in an hospital specialized in heart disease. In her free time, she enjoys reading all things Paranormal and photography.

Follow Tynga on: Facebook | Twitter

9 People left their mark' :

  1. This is one of my all-time favorite series and authors (narrator too). The world that they build is just amazing. Some of the weird creatures that Kate fights are just so amazing. How the authors describe them is just so great and detailed without being boring. I highly recommend anything by this author. They are all great, even if this is my favorite of series from them.

    ReplyDelete
  2. A good friend of mine also recommended this series to me, and I have the first book, but still haven't read it. But I now know I MUST-- the world seems so intriguing!

    Great review!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I adore this series! Trust me when I say these books get better and better. Great review!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I really need to read this one. I have it in paperback and on audio so it is about time that I get around to reading it. The world sounds interesting and I know there is romance later on in this one which makes me want to pick it up for one of those slow building romances.

    Thanks for the great review!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks melanie! Ill have to check out the other series for sure

    ReplyDelete
  6. thank you! you must indeed

    ReplyDelete
  7. I just finished book 2 and I want more of Curran OMG!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I swear I cannot even remember the first book in the series. The rest I loved and all these characters you'll end up loving and a lot of them have more of a voice in future books. I Loved that Ilona ANdrews created a series where I just adore all the characters! Keep reading and get to book 3!!!! =)))

    ReplyDelete