**Notice** Due to transfering back from a godaddy hosted wordpress blog back to blogger, reviews published before june 2017 don`t all have a pretty layout with book cover and infos. Our apologies.

Friday, August 29, 2014

Ante Up by Amanda Carlson

The Sin City Collectors is such a fun series! For those who don't know, it's a series of novellas written and self-published by a bunch of author friends. So far, there are novellas by Amanda Carlson and Kristen Painter, but more authors will join later on. Each novella is set in the same world, and featuring a different pair of main characters.

This time around we meet Diesel, a werewolf who completely looses control on the full moon, and Sofia, a witch hunted by an incubus. Once again a fun installment with great characters! With only 120 pages to build the plot and romance happens pretty quickly, but these two characters already met because they are part of previous novellas so it makes even more sense when the passion unravels.

Diesel was a great alpha male and even though I didn't fall unconditionally in love with him, I liked him just fine. He has an history that scarred him and made him more real and I liked his determination and desire to protect. His affliction also made things interesting. I really, really liked Sofia! I think she's fun, smart and brilliant. I loved how she dealt with Neve (a dhampir from a previous novella) and her attitude issues. She isn't a damsel in distress even though she needed help and I command her for it.

Fun but somewhat predictable, the plot still provided great entertainment. It's hard to build something intricate with such a small number of pages, but the story was well-rounded and the conclusion satisfying.

If I had one small complain it would be the secondary characters name. Diesel's brother is called Luke, and they work with a gargoyle called Jake. Both names were just too similar for a comfortable read, I kept confusing the two of them.

It seems novella #5 will feature Ginger and Luke and I can't wait to read it!

tynga

Tynga is a 32 years old mom of two, from Montreal, working as a lab technician in an hospital specialized in heart disease. In her free time, she enjoys reading all things Paranormal and photography.

Follow Tynga on: Facebook | Twitter

6 People left their mark' :

  1. I think it is really hard not to make the story line a little predictable when you have a novella. The just isn't enough page time for character development, story development and add in the extra to make it more suspenseful. I agree, the stories are very entertaining. I love the characters and the world. Great review.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds fun - and a novella might fit my attention span better right now.

    ReplyDelete
  3. this is the third in the series, I suggest you start with Aces Wild: http://www.amazon.com/Aces-Wild-City-Collectors-Novella-ebook/dp/B00KO1KD6Q/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1409328125&sr=8-1&keywords=amanda+carlson

    ReplyDelete
  4. I really liked Sofia as well, she was such a great character! The pace is a bit fast, but it didn't feel rushed to me, so that's always a plus for a novella. I also like how character from previous novella's retutn, I haven't read the novella's from any of the other author yet only those by Amanda Carlson.

    ReplyDelete
  5. the only other one is by Krsiten Painter http://tyngasreviews.com/2014/07/queen-of-hearts-by-kristen-painter.html

    ReplyDelete