**Notice** Due to transfering back from a godaddy hosted wordpress blog back to blogger, reviews published before june 2017 don`t all have a pretty layout with book cover and infos. Our apologies.

Friday, August 20, 2010

Catching Fire by Suzanne Collins

catching-fire Against all odds, Katniss has won the Hunger Games. She and fellow District 12 tribute Petta Mellark are miraculously still alive. Katniss should be relieved, happy even. After all, she has returned to her family and her longtime friend, Gale. yet nothing is the way Katniss wishes it to be. Gale holds her at an icy distance. Peeta has turned his back on her completely. And there are whispers of a rebellion against the Capitol – a rebellion that Katniss and Peeta may have helped create.

Much to her shock, Katniss has fueled an unrest she’s afraid she cannot stop. And what scares her even more is that she’s not entirely convinced she should try. As time draws near for Katniss and Peeta to visit districts on the Capitol’s cruel Victory Tour, the stakes are higher than ever. If they can’t prove, without a shadow of a doubt, that they are lost in their love for each other, the consequences will be horrifying.

Katniss and Peeta might have gotten out of the Hunger Games alive, but the nightmare isn’t over. They are forced to visit district after district and face the families of the other kids who died in the arena. Not only that, but their little act of rebellion in the Games didn’t go unnoticed. Some districts are restless and President Snow is blaming Katniss, and he will do anything to make her pay.

I really loved The Hunger Games and I didn’t think I could love Catching Fire more but I did! I don’t want to give anything away because I kinda spoiled it for myself by reading the description of Mockingjay. Anyway, I loved how there is that much going on behind the scene that we are totally unaware of and that everything is revealed at the right moment.

Both Katniss and Peeta were strong in the first book and this time around the stakes are even higher. I admire their stubbornness, determination and enjoyed being surprised by the sacrifices they are willing to make. They will meet new allies/possible enemies, which I enjoyed liking or hating depending LOL. If there is such a thing as Team Cinna and Team Finnick please sign me up! Haymitch will hold an even more important role this time, which I honestly didn’t see coming. In fact, apart from the bits I spoiled by reading book three’s description, I didn’t see anything coming. The whole book is a maelstrom of emotions, heart-breaks, surprises and fierceness. There is also the whole deadly blood-bath necessary to the Games.  

I have a hard time putting my love of this series into words so I will tell you this, since I started reading the first book (5 days ago) I went to bed every night thinking of the books. What would happen next, what could have been different, what would’ve happen if X or Y happened, What I would’ve done if I were Katniss. The intensity of the books literally kept me awake at night, that’s how good they were! I don’t know how all of you guys who read this book on release in 2009 managed to wait until now to get the third book, ‘cause even though we are just a few days from release, the wait is unbearable!

Now I’m gonna pronounce myself. At this point I am Team Peeta, but I wouldn’t be surprised to switch to Team Gale during book three. I already love Gale, but he hasn’t been under the spotlight long enough to truly judge if I prefer him over Peeta, as opposed to the latter proving his loyalty over and over in the hardest situations. Either way, I will always be…

katniss

Read an excerpt

Exceptionally I joined 2 fan-made trailers to the review, I couldn’t decided which one I liked better hehe




 

Hunger Games series:

The Hunger Games

Catching Fire

Mockingjay

 

Book Stats:

  • Reading level: Young Adult
  • Hardcover: 400 pages
  • Publisher: Scholastic Press; 1 edition (September 1, 2009)
  • Language: English The Book Depository
  • ISBN-10: 0439023491
  • ISBN-13: 978-0439023498

     

    Book Source: Personal Shelf

  • Tynga is a 32 years old mom of two, from Montreal, working as a lab technician in an hospital specialized in heart disease. In her free time, she enjoys reading all things Paranormal and photography.

    Follow Tynga on: Facebook | Twitter

    7 People left their mark' :

    1. Oh, I'm so glad to hear you loved it! This series is one of my all-time favourites :) Brilliant review!

      ReplyDelete
    2. My friend just finished reading the Hunger game, and he told me that it is superb book. I might try it soon. So to say, I'm glad that u enjoyed the rest of the series. Happy reading Tynga!

      Here's my latest review on Magyk by Angie Sage. check it out!! =b

      http://coffeecrackers.blogspot.com/2010/08/magyk-by-angie-sage.html

      ReplyDelete
    3. I'm on team Katniss, too. Gotta represent! Only 4 days until Mockingjay...

      ReplyDelete
    4. I read "The Hunger Games" (published in Brazil)... Loved it! Incredible!
      Now I really want to read "Catching Fire'...

      ReplyDelete
    5. I didn't like this one as much as the first, but I still loved it!

      ReplyDelete
    6. Yay for Team Katniss! This one totally surprised me...can't wait to see what Mockingjay does! Wonderful review :)

      ReplyDelete
    7. I love this series! My experience was similar-I had the books on the brain for weeks.

      TEAM PEETA!!!

      ReplyDelete