**Notice** Due to transfering back from a godaddy hosted wordpress blog back to blogger, reviews published before june 2017 don`t all have a pretty layout with book cover and infos. Our apologies.

Sunday, February 17, 2013

The Goddess Inheritance by Aimée Carter

carter - goddess inheritance

The Goddess Inheritance by Aimée Carter

Book Stats:

Reading level: Young Adult
Trade Paperback: 384 pages
Genre: Paranormal Romance
Publisher: Harlequin Teen
Release date: February 26, 2013

Series: The Goddess Test #3

Reviewed by: Stéphanie

Source: NetGalley

Purchase: Amazon | Book Depository

Love or life.

Henry or their child.

The end of her family or the end of the world.

Kate must choose.

During nine months of captivity, Kate Winters has survived a jealous goddess, a vengeful Titan and a pregnancy she never asked for. Now the Queen of the Gods wants her unborn child, and Kate can't stop her—until Cronus offers a deal.

In exchange for her loyalty and devotion, the King of the Titans will spare humanity and let Kate keep her child. Yet even if Kate agrees, he'll destroy Henry, her mother and the rest of the council. And if she refuses, Cronus will tear the world apart until every last god and mortal is dead.

With the fate of everyone she loves resting on her shoulders, Kate must do the impossible: find a way to defeat the most powerful being in existence, even if it costs her everything.

Even if it costs her eternity.

Even thought I’m not in love with this series, I can truly say that I’m satisfied with this last book of The Goddess Test series. As a true fan of Greek mythology I think, overall, I was a little bit disappointed with the writing of the trilogy. However, I have to admit that Aimée Carter knows how to tell a good story. She got me hooked with the goddess test the main character Kate had to go through to become a replacement for the goddess Persephone in book one, but after that, it felt like the rest of the series coasted on neutral.

We saw the main character, Kate, mature throughout the series, just like we saw Aimée’s writing mature from book to book. Personally, I wonder if this series would have been better if it hadn’t been the author’s debut. I think she shows a lot of promise and hopefully her future characters and scenes will be more realistic. There are multiple scenes where characters spit out these long(ish) monologues and heart felt speeches but rarely do we come across these types of conversations in real life. When I read a book, I want to be able to relate to the characters and I want them to be as realistic as possible, but when the characters say odd things that would make me laugh in real life, I think it shows a lack of authenticity. Maybe that makes me a little cynical, but that’s how I feel when I read a scene with sappy monologues.

But enough about the actual writing. THE GODDESS INHERITANCE will definitively surprise you! Characters actually die (gasp!), and not all of them are bad guys (double gasp!!!). I won’t spoil the story for you but I think it’s fitting that the deaths aren’t limited to the “bad guys.” The fighting scenes between Kate and her enemies were a little hard to follow and lacked a little action and excitement but the end result was exactly as I anticipated. There was a bit a of a lull in the middle of the book that had me anticipated some more interesting bits, so once the climax was near, I couldn’t put the book down.

My favorite part of the book was the relationship between Kate and her new husband, Henry, God of the Underworld. You wouldn’t expect the God of the Underworld to be able to love anyone, but I’m envious of the relationship between him and Kate. Despite his difficulty in showing emotion, in THE GODDESS INHERITANCE, we finally get to see the Henry we’ve been expecting right from the start. And I think it helped a lot to see Henry and Kate bond over their newborn baby, despite all the issue they had during Kate’s pregnancy and after she gave birth.

Overall, I think the series has been entertaining enough to follow, but it won’t be at top of my recommendation lists. Fans of Greek Mythology will without a doubt be attracted to the books and will most probably enjoy the modern day view of the Gods, but they must be warned that the trilogy isn’t an actual myth retelling. It’s more of an expansion or an elaboration of the original myths. I’m probably one of the few that hasn’t completely fallen in love with this series, so if any of you out there have read The Goddess Test series, let me know what you think. Did you love it? Enjoy it? Or was it just “ok” for you too?

Read an excerpt (scroll down)

stephsig

5 People left their mark' :

  1. I am in agreement with you regarding this series. I liked it but didn't love it, and have ultimately come away from each book more disappointed than not. I'm glad I read it through to its conclusion, because I would have been wondering how it all ended if I hadn't, but it's definitely not a favorite.

    ~Merin @ Read and Reviewed~

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nice review, thank you. I am still a bit on the fence with this series, though I do love mythology.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Is it my imagination, or is the blog more beautiful each time I visit?

    ReplyDelete