**Notice** Due to transfering back from a godaddy hosted wordpress blog back to blogger, reviews published before june 2017 don`t all have a pretty layout with book cover and infos. Our apologies.

Friday, February 19, 2010

Mark of the Demon by Diana Rowland

"Cop and conjurer of demons, she's a woman in danger of losing control—to a power that could kill....


Why me? Why now? That’s what Beaulac, Louisiana, detective Kara Gillian was asking herself when an angelic creature named Rhyzkahl unexpectedly appeared during a routine summoning. Kara was hoping to use her occult skills to catch a serial killer, but never had she conjured anything like this unearthly beautiful and unspeakably powerful being whose very touch set off exquisite new dimensions of pleasure. But can she enlist his aid in helping her stop a killer who’s already claimed the lives—and souls—of thirteen people? And should she? The Symbol Man is a nightmare that the city thought had ended three years ago. Now he’s back for an encore and leaving every indication on the flesh of his victims that he, too, is well versed in demonic lore.


Kara may be the only cop on Beaulac’s small force able to stop the killer, but it is her first homicide case. Yet with Rhyzkahl haunting her dreams, and a handsome yet disapproving FBI agent dogging her waking footsteps, she may be in way over her head... " -Book Cover

      Kara is working on her very first homicide investigation, it's not a usual case, but Kara isn't a usual inspector either. Her town is the victim of a serial killer. Everyone thinks he is a lunatic satanist, but she knows better. The murderer is using the Arcane - a magical energy used to summon demons and friends. Gillian is leading her investigation by 2 fronts: Forensic and Arcane, unfortunately she can't share the latter aspect if she doesn't want everyone to think she's crazy and remove her from the case.

This book is a perfect mix of CSI and UF, and both aspect of the book get the credit they deserve. Let me explain =) While I'm not an inspector, I've been to autopsies before, and I was pleased to see that most of the description was fairly accurate, and the intrigue for the culprit was a secret until the very end, I never saw the blow coming. On the Fantasy side, Diana created a very believable world, with good descriptions of the summonings, creatures and the Arcane altogether.

If I had to point one not-so-good aspect, I'd go with the sex scenes description. There's only 2-3 of those, they aren't a big deal really, but I was disappointed in them. You know they happened, but they happen so quick, you barely get a rough description and it's over.

Overall, Rowland did a great job in her first novel, a very interesting bland of CSI and UF, the end was very exciting and I find myself wondering how everything will wrap-up in the second installment.


Kara Gillian series:
Mark of the Demon
Blood of the Demon

Book Stats:
Mass Market Paperback: 384 pages

Éditeur: Bantam (Jui 23 2009)
Langue: English
ISBN-10: 0553592351
ISBN-13: 978-0553592351

Book Source: Personnal Shelf

Tynga is a 32 years old mom of two, from Montreal, working as a lab technician in an hospital specialized in heart disease. In her free time, she enjoys reading all things Paranormal and photography.

Follow Tynga on: Facebook | Twitter

5 People left their mark' :

  1. You have been to them? Pretty cool that they are accurate. It's always nice when the Author knows what they are talking about

    ReplyDelete
  2. Cleverly Ink - Yes, even though I am spec in Hematology/Blood bank, autopsies are part of my profession so I must have the ability (or at least potential) to perform them.
    I've never performed one personnaly, but I witnessed three.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great review - this sounds like an interesting book. Another one to add to my wishlist LOL

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oooh I like me some CSI or I used to, until they started pursing their lips a little too much. *EEek* Autopsies. I'm not a squeamish person, but I think I might pass on that. ♥ Parajunkee

    ReplyDelete
  5. I did enjoy this book too when I read it. I should hunt up the sequel but I haven't yet. (I didn't review it because I read it before my blog became very active.)

    Hello! I'm here from the Saturday Network.

    ReplyDelete