**Notice** Due to transfering back from a godaddy hosted wordpress blog back to blogger, reviews published before june 2017 don`t all have a pretty layout with book cover and infos. Our apologies.

Saturday, February 13, 2016

Stacking The Shelves [197]

Stacking the Shelves


Stacking The Shelves is all about sharing the books you are adding to your shelves, may it be physical or virtual. This means you can include books you buy in physical store or online, books you borrow from friends or the library, review books, gifts and of course ebooks!


If you want to find out more about Stacking The Shelves, please visit the official launch page!


——————


Happy Saturday, everyone!  Over on my personal blog, Marie's Reads, I've been doing the PopSugar Reading Challenge on Saturdays.  Hosting Stacking the Shelves this week gets me off the hook from admitting that I haven't checked anything off the list this week!


So here in NC, it's been COLD.  I know a lot of our readers are much farther north than I am, and will laugh:  it's been in the 40s (Fahrenheit) here all week.  And Sunday/Monday are only going to be in the 30s!  But good news (and I hope I'm not jinxing anything here): there's been some chatter about potential snow on Monday.  I'm super excited!  Where I live, 1"-3" of snow/ice accumulation is enough to get a snow day off work, and for me that's a read-a-book-while-drinking-hot-chocolate day!


So here are all the books I've brought home in the last couple of weeks, since the last time I hosted Stacking the Shelves.  Gosh, it's been since before Christmas!  You'll see some Christmas gift books on my list, and you'll also notice that I got on a No. 1 Ladies' Detective Agency kick.  And the baby books continue... some friends warned me that I'd just make myself nervous reading baby books; I found that I was more nervous not knowing.


What did you bring home this week?  Join the fun with the link below!


New


Come Rain Come Shine Jan Karon If You're Lucky Yvonne Prinz Shovel Ready Near Enemy Adam Sternbergh Hedgehugs Steve Wilson Lucy Tapper No Better Friend Robert Weintraub


Come Rain or Come Shine by Jan Karon:  My mom and I love love love the Mitford series by Jan Karon, and this is the latest release.  My mom got it for me for Christmas... and I got her the same book!  :)


If You're Lucky by Yvonne Prinz:  I don't know much about this one; it was gifted me by a coworker who's opinion I totally trust, so I'm looking forward to it.


Shovel Ready and Near Enemy by Adam Sternbergh:  I was sent Near Enemy by the publisher for review, but hadn't yet read Shovel Ready, so I quickly ordered that for myself on Amazon.  I always feel so grateful and excited when publishers send finished copies and not just ARCs!


Hedgehugs by Steve Wilson & Lucy Tapper:  Ok, technically this one was a gift for Baby, but he's not completely here yet so I read it out loud.  He'll see the pictures in April.  :)


No Better Friend by Robert Weintraub:  And this one was technically a gift to Hubby, but I plan to read it because he told me that it was so good.  It's about a guy and his dog during WWII.  Hubby had to promise me that the dog makes it to the end; I can't read sad books where the dog dies!


Becoming Eve Susan Shepherd


Becoming Eve by Susan Shepherd:  I had to take a picture of this book when I received it- the author herself wrote such a nice inscription inside and then tied it up in a pretty tulle bow!  I was so fortunate to be part of a group of "beta readers" when Susan was first drafting this book last year, and I think I was nearly as excited as she was when it got published!  The book is nonfiction, about Biblical womanhood.  It's totally readable (not written in academese) and enjoyable!  I can honestly say that the material covered within positively impacted my marriage.


Library


March Geraldine Brooks On Becoming Babywise Gary Ezzo Robert Bucknam Mama Tried Emily Flake Blue Shoes and Happiness Good Husband of Zebra Drive In the Company of Cheerful Ladies Miracle at Speedy Motors Alexander McCall Smith Situation Momedy Jenna Von Oy


March by Geraldine Brooks: I'd begun listening to the audiobook of this back in the summer, and the file was corrupted.  Finally got around to getting a hard copy and finishing it.  Not my fave book of the year.


On Becoming Babywise by Gary Ezzo & Robert Bucknam:  Fantastic advice from two doctors on how to get your newborn sleeping through the night by 10 weeks.  Definitely going to buy my own copy of this and put it to use!  I'll let you know if it works.  ;)


Mama Tried by Emily Flake:  I haven't read this one yet, but it looks like a good laugh waiting to happen.  An impulsive grab off the shelf while I was visiting a different branch.


Blue Shoes and HappinessThe Good Husband of Zebra DriveIn the Company of Cheerful Ladies, and The Miracle at Speedy Motors by Alexander McCall Smith:  I just can't get enough of this lovely little series!


Situation Momedy by Jenna Von Oy:  The subtitle promises "laughing your way through pregnancy and year one" and the book delivers!  I'm usually a bit wary of celeb memoirs, but this one was fantastic and I recommend it to expectant and new moms.  I literally laughed out loud at bits.  I was sold in the first chapter, when Jenna gave us all permission to enjoy and appreciate the miracle of growing a human life... and also to feel completely miserable/out of sorts/uncomfortable.  You CAN experience both of these things!  Sometimes all at once!


So that's what I brought home; how about you?  Remember to use the link below to join the fun!


[inlinkz_linkup id=607180]

Tynga is a 32 years old mom of two, from Montreal, working as a lab technician in an hospital specialized in heart disease. In her free time, she enjoys reading all things Paranormal and photography.

Follow Tynga on: Facebook | Twitter

26 People left their mark' :

  1. I haven't heard of any of those books before. I hope you enjoy them!
    Where abouts in NC are you? I studied abroad in Chapel Hill for a year, I miss it!

    ~Ailsa

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi!
    We are at ZERO right now with a -9 Wind Chill and believe me, it COLD!!!!! We also have a Wind Chill Advisory today and tonight! Jeeze!!!!!! That's COLD!!! Michigan at the thumb! Port Huron! We are RIGHT ON the lake - three miles inland, so even though it's too cold to snow, we might get some kick up from the wind. We'll see???
    So today we'll get up to 12! Tonight a -4! Whew!!!!!! Its WAY too cold to snow here! Time to dress in layers!!!! LOTS of layers!!!
    Tomorrow is 18 and at night it'll be 13, so a WARM UP!!! I guess Sunday is better to go grocery shopping rather than Saturday!
    Stay warm everyone!!!
    Laurie

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think that is so sweet that you and your mom bought each other the same book! That happened this year with me and my cousin! I'm becoming more interested in Christian writings, so I would love to read Becoming Eve. Great Haul!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yes. It's very cold in NYC. I live in the City, so I understand what you mean. You got a lot of interesting books. I hope you love all of them.

    Grace @ Books of Love

    ReplyDelete
  5. It's cold in Chicago also. Fun haul! I hope you enjoy your books.

    Diane @ Diane's Book Blog

    ReplyDelete
  6. Nice book haul, although I'm not familiar with too many of these. Hope you really enjoy them all. And, have I thanked you lately for this meme? :)
    @dino0726 from 
    FictionZeal - Impartial, Straightforward Fiction Book Reviews

    ReplyDelete
  7. Awww, Hedgehugs looks so cute. Enjoy.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hedgehugs looks so cute! I'll have to add that to my list for my daughter!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Sorry, but I have to laugh at 40F temperatures. It's 8F in the Twin Cities today. 40 to a Minnesotan is shorts weather this time of year.

    ReplyDelete
  10. You have several gorgeous books...Becoming Eve looks very tempting. Enjoy!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Very nice! Those are all totally new to me ones! Hope you enjoy them all!

    My STS will be up tomorrow, so stop by then if you can!

    Have a GREAT day!

    Old Follower :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. OMG That Hedgehugs book! I need that! Enjoy your books :)

    Sugar & Snark - Latest haul

    ReplyDelete
  13. I think it is smart to be prepared and I hope you stay warm while learning about becoming a mommy. :-) Looks like some fun books.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Alisa, I'm near Charlotte. I grew up in SC and am now a happy NC resident... I just love the Carolinas! I'm glad to hear that you enjoyed your time here too. Happy reading!

    ReplyDelete
  15. My goodness! I don't know that I could handle that. Today I wore not only a long, thick coat to work, but also a scarf and gloves. I'd look like the Michelin Man if I were to visit MI in the winter! I hope you have a good tea/coffee/hot chocolate mug and a warm afghan for reading time!

    ReplyDelete
  16. I'm so glad to hear that you're interested in Becoming Eve, and I hope you enjoy it if you check it out!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Thank you! And happy reading to you, too!

    ReplyDelete
  18. You're very welcome! I'm glad to hear that you enjoy participating in Stacking the Shelves. I find it such fun to see what other book lovers are taking in each week. Thank you for participating!

    ReplyDelete
  19. It is adorable! It's about two hedgehog friends who really want to hug, but there are prickles that get in the way so they try all different things to make it happen. Adorable!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Aww! I hope you and your daughter enjoy it. It's a great little book. Happy reading!

    ReplyDelete
  21. lol! Yes, I know I'm a Southern wimp... wore a heavy coat, scarf, and mittens to work today. I'm afraid I wouldn't survive in Minnesota! I hope you have a great week!

    ReplyDelete
  22. I do hope you decide to check out Becoming Eve! It's a great book. Happy reading to you, too!

    ReplyDelete
  23. Thank you, Jessica! I hope you have a great day too!

    ReplyDelete
  24. I know! Isn't it adorable? My mom & sister sent that one to me. Happy reading to you this week, too!

    ReplyDelete
  25. Thank you! I am totally focused on the "staying warm" part of life right now... Didn't the groundhog say that winter should be wrapping up now? ;) I hope you have a great week too! Happy reading!

    ReplyDelete
  26. What is this snow you speak of? I have not seen such a thing in the 60F and above weather of So Cal ;) At least you have some excellent reading to curl up by the hearth with!
    Happy Reading!!

    ReplyDelete