**Notice** Due to transfering back from a godaddy hosted wordpress blog back to blogger, reviews published before june 2017 don`t all have a pretty layout with book cover and infos. Our apologies.

Monday, February 08, 2016

The Awakening by Jayne Faith and Christine Castle

Jayne Faith and Christine Castle hooked me with their first book in this series. I think it's the cross between The Hunger Games and The Bachelor that makes things really exciting. I'm a big fan of The Hunger Games, but quite honestly, I hate the flakiness of The Bachelor. I think it's the terrifying idea of losing your life if you don't win the competition that makes things way more compelling than the fake TV show. In my experience, self-published books can be pretty hit and miss, but in this case, I really think the authors are on to something.

This book is so much more than a game of survival and a love story between the two main characters. It's also a story about two races coming together, despite their very different cultural views, and fighting for Earthfell's freedom. Maya is from Earthenfell and she is one of the Obligates fighting in the Tournament of the Offered. Toric is the Lord of Calisto and the Sacred Texts say that no Calistan can step foot on Earthenfell until the prophecy says so. The whole idea behind the Sacred Texts and the Calistan religion is a little bit confusing. I hope more is revealed in the upcoming book so that things may be clearer and complete. The authors may be holding back purposely, but either way, I'm sure more is to come.

The attraction between Toric and Maya is really sweet. I really hope we see their relationship grow, despite their differences. Toric's dark past and sexual needs shocked Maya but she's not that innocent anymore. The Tournament has hardened her and she's now ready to fight for her life, even if that means taking advantage of Toric's obvious infatuation with her. The newest challenge in the Tournament will be difficult for Maya, and I honestly didn't see this twist coming. I hate the fact the authors announced what the new challenge will be and ended the book on a cliffhanger. Since the next book might be coming out next month, I'm not too annoyed, but I'll still be waiting impatiently.

The rest of the characters add a lot of antagonism and mystery to the story. Akantha, the Mistress of Tournament, is a ruthless and jealous woman. Engaged to Lord Toric's brother, Jeric, she's jealous of Maya who seems to have enthralled both brothers. She's out to get Maya, and is willing to do whatever it takes for her to fail. Jeric is confused, and doesn't know his place anymore. As Toric's younger brother, he was once named heir when Toric was considered dead after being kidnapped for years. Now that Toric is back, he seems wandering without a path. I kind of feel sorry for him, even though I don't agree with some of the things he's done or said to Maya. Toric's mother is another player in the political game. We don't know much about her, and she hasn't really had a prominent role in the story yet, but I anticipate her having a bigger role in the coming book.

Overall, I think this was a decent sequel. I hate the cliffhanger we were left with, and quite honestly the book could have been a little longer. Many questions were answered, yet many more have arose. The series so many different genres, including romance, young adult, science fiction and paranormal that I'm sure it will please many reader. As a fan of all these genres, I think the authors have created a wonderful mix.

stephsig moon

Tynga is a 32 years old mom of two, from Montreal, working as a lab technician in an hospital specialized in heart disease. In her free time, she enjoys reading all things Paranormal and photography.

Follow Tynga on: Facebook | Twitter

2 People left their mark' :

  1. I do like the sound of a mix of The Bachelor nad The Hunger Games.

    ReplyDelete
  2. We offer research paper help online services, term paper help and dissertation writing help specialized in delivering original, custom-written and creative pay for research papers services which are delivered within the deadline.

    ReplyDelete