**Notice** Due to transfering back from a godaddy hosted wordpress blog back to blogger, reviews published before june 2017 don`t all have a pretty layout with book cover and infos. Our apologies.

Monday, August 24, 2015

Deceptions by Kelley Armstrong

I absolutely love this series. Anything written by Kelley Armstrong is usually pretty good but Deceptions and the rest of her Cainsville series is amazing. It's creepy and gothic, yet the characters are intriguing and intelligent. I hope this series goes on for a while still because it's fascinating and I feel like there's a lot more to tell.

What's exceptional about this book is that deep down, it's a murder mystery novel with so many paranormal elements. At times, you even start to doubt the heroine, Olivia, wondering if she's imagining everything, wondering if her so called visions are just hallucinations. With her fae blood, she has the ability to read omens and apparently recall long ago event through a collective memory and visions. Her importance to the Cainsville elders was slowly revealed in this book but there's still a lot of mystery surrounding her early childhood and her serial killer birth parents. After three books, we still don't know the whole story behind the murders that happened more than two decades ago but at least we do learn some of the motives behind the killings.

I love the fact that this series doesn't have any werewolves, vampires, witches or zombies. Kelley Armstrong has veered away from the typical paranormal approach. Instead, it has gargoyles, kelpies, hounds, bogarts, fairies and so much more. But these fae are unlike anything we've seen before. They're not all bright and shiny vs dark and spooky, like we've seen in some of the more popular fairy books. These fae are enigmatic, creepy and sometimes dangerous. They all have a second agenda and don't necessarily work together. It's hard to keep track of who's who and their ultimate goal is still unclear. However, one thing is for sure: they have no problem using humans as puppets in their quests.

Kelley Armstrong has perfectly melded Welsh, Cornish and Irish mythology and used its stories to create her own. Her characters have said it themselves; their story isn't a reincarnation or a retelling of the mythological characters. They have been born to play the roles of Mallt-y-Nos, Gwynn Ap Nudd and Arawn. Whether they follow in the originals' footsteps is completely up to them. Like in so many mythologies, cycles must repeat and Olivia, Gabriel and Ricky are stuck in this one, for better or for worse. The three of them form a weird love triangle that I wish a could explain in a few words but it's best if you discovered it on your own. The interactions between the three are so intricate and I admire the author for spending so much time on these little details that don't seem to matter but reveal so much about the characters.

The little town of Cainsville is almost a character on its own and plays an integral part in this series, but it wasn't as important in this book compared to the previous two. However, I love how everything always links back to Cainsville and its fae inhabitants. It might seem like a quaint little town, the Stars Hallow of the supernatural world, but it's creepy and sometimes dangerous. I honestly hope to spend more time in Cainsville in the next book. I feel like it holds the answer to everything.

Kelley Armstrong is a phenomenal writer, keeping you engaged from beginning to end. I'll admit this series isn't made for everyone but I still highly recommend it. Keep an open mind and see for yourself how amazing this story is. It's just too unique to pass up and the secrets are just too seductive to ignore.

stephsig moon

Tynga is a 32 years old mom of two, from Montreal, working as a lab technician in an hospital specialized in heart disease. In her free time, she enjoys reading all things Paranormal and photography.

Follow Tynga on: Facebook | Twitter

7 People left their mark' :

  1. I love Kelley Armstrong and that is a cool cover. Nice to meet another fan. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love Kelley Armstrong, but I haven't been able to read this series yet though I usually ADORE creepy and gothic books and murder mysteries. Ugh now I read your review I can't wait to read this one.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I haven't read any of her stuff, but this does sound very interesting. Thanks for the review.
    @dino0726 from 
    FictionZeal - Impartial, Straightforward Fiction Book Reviews

    ReplyDelete
  4. Honestly, Kelley Armstrong is one of my favorite authors. If you haven't read this series, go for it!

    ReplyDelete
  5. You HAVE to give it a try. The first book is a little bit different because you feel totally lost and have no clue what's going on, but it's definitely worth it in the end.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Kelley Armstrong is really worth looking into. If this type of book isn't for you, then I think her Women of the Otherworld series appeals to any paranormal reader.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I saw Kelley Armstrong post on FB that this series will have five books. I love it too. I have read this one yet. I'm debating about reading or listening. I haven't listened to this series before, but I have so much more listening time than I do reading time. I'll have to see if my library has it. Great review.

    ReplyDelete