**Notice** Due to transfering back from a godaddy hosted wordpress blog back to blogger, reviews published before june 2017 don`t all have a pretty layout with book cover and infos. Our apologies.

Monday, November 01, 2010

When I’m not writing… with Claudia Gray!

 

 

As you guys know, you can request authors you’d like to see in this feature (see the end of this post to know how), and Claudia Gray was requested by Anne Royce and I am really happy that she accepted! So for you Anna, and all Claudia fans out there, I am happy to have miss Gray by my side today, as we discover more about her! She is the author of the very popular Evernight series, and the fourth installment, Afterlife is due March 2011!

 

 

What do I do in my spare time?
Claudia Gray 
www.claudiagray.com


There's no set schedule, with me -- lately, I tend to alternate days of writing hard all day with days of writing very little and reveling in that "spare time."  And there's no one thing I do that takes up most of my spare time.  Here are a few key things:


TRAVELING 
If you follow my blog (http://claudiagray.com/blog/) or Twitter (@claudiagray), you know: I don't stay still for rome_08long!  Though a lot of my travel plans spring from book signings or tours, I always try to spend a little extra time everywhere I go (if possible), to enjoy the pleasures of exploring a new place.  In the past 12 months, I've gone to -- let me see if I can get this in order -- Guadalajara; New York City; Cincinnati; Columbus, Ohio; Portland, Oregon; Seattle; Atlanta; Houston; Austin, Texas; Rome; Madrid; Rimini, Italy; Sydney; Melbourne; Brisbane; Adelaide; Uluru; Cairns; Port Douglas (all of those last seven in Australia); and Vancouver.  In three weeks, I'm headed down to New Orleans.  The scariest thing about this list is that I'm sure I've left a couple of places out. 
I enjoy travel because it forces you to get your daily routine down to basics; you lose all the silly ways you waste time and focus on what's interesting, unique and new.  By now I'm really good at packing light and own a lot of wrinkle-free stuff!  (Top tip: Consolidate shoes.  If you're taking more than three pairs of shoes, and you're not actually moving to a new state, you've got too many!) Though I doubt I'll be on the go quite as much next year, I know I'll always be ready to see more of the world.  One of my life goals is to eventually have set foot on all seven continents.  Four down.  (I *technically* set foot in Asia, which could be five, but I feel like the Asian part of Istanbul doesn't fully count.)


MOVIES
As you might have guessed from the classic film house in the EVERNIGHT series, I love all kinds of movies.  Right now my cable operator doesn't carry the Single Greatest Network Ever, aka Turner Classic Movies, so I'm having to rent or stream the oldies I love.  But there's an awesome art-house cinema about two blocks from my apartment in Chicago, so I'm getting to see more foreign and indie films now.  Make no mistake, though: I know where to find the IMAX screens nearest me too. 


HIKING
hikingI've been doing less hiking lately, but I should be hitting the trails again more now that I'm traveling a  little less.  My whole life, until about three years ago, I believed I wasn't outdoorsy.  I must be the first person to figure out I loved hiking in the woods AFTER moving to Manhattan.  But getting away from any of perks of modern life for a while is incredibly refreshing, and I find that I often have really good story ideas either during or right after hiking. 


CROCHET
It's a little optimistic of me putting this here, as I started crochet lessons a whopping one week ago.  But sometimes you can just tell something's going to take, and I think this will.  There's something deeply satisfying about making your own crafts, and while I doubt I'll ever be a true whiz, I believe I'll be able to make myself some scarves and blankets.  (My big goal for this winter: fingerless gloves.)  Although the yarn work is repetitive, that's what makes it soothing.  If I start offering large, slightly misshapen Afghans as contest prizes next year, don't say you weren't warned. 
That would be about it for the "hobbies" area, when I'm not writing; the rest is grocery stores, and the DMV, and waiting in line; and all the other things that make me so deeply glad to get back to work at my keyboard. 
CG

-------------------------------------

Thank you so much Claudia for taking the time to share with us =) It’s greatly appreciated!

Here’s a bit more about her series…

The Evernight series, four books coming from HarperCollins beginning in May 2008, follows the story of Bianca Olivier.

When the story begins in Evernight, Bianca has just left the small town where she's spent her whole life. She's a new student at Evernight Academy, a creepily Gothic boarding school where her classmates are somehow too perfect: smart, sleek and almost predatory. Bianca knows she doesn't fit in.

Then she meets Lucas, another loner, who seems fiercely determined not to be the "Evernight type." There's a connection between Bianca and Lucas that can't be denied. She would risk anything to be with him—but dark secrets are fated to tear them apart... and to make Bianca question everything she's ever believed to be true.

(Click image to purchase)

evernight_cover stargazer_cover hourglass_cover

afterlife_cover

Bianca and Lucas have always believed they could endure anything to be together. When a twist of fate not only transforms Bianca into a ghostly wraith, but also turns Lucas into a vampire—the very creature he spent his life hunting—they are left reeling.

Haunted by his powerful need to kill, Lucas can turn to only one place for help... Evernight Academy. Bianca is determined to remain with him. But with the vampire leader of Evernight waging a war against wraiths, her former home has become the most dangerous place she could be, despite the new powers her transformation has given her.

A battle between wraiths and vampires looms, and Bianca and Lucas face a terrifying new reality. They’ve overcome every obstacle life has thrown at them, but is their love strong enough to survive the challenges after life?

-------------------------------------

Enjoyed this post? There will be more “When I’m not writing…” posts in the future!

Please visit This Page to find out who my future guests are, and a chance to suggest authors you would like to see featured!

Authors, you would like to visit and share with us?

Please email me at TyngaUF(a)gmail.com

Tynga is a 32 years old mom of two, from Montreal, working as a lab technician in an hospital specialized in heart disease. In her free time, she enjoys reading all things Paranormal and photography.

Follow Tynga on: Facebook | Twitter

0 comments:

Post a Comment