**Notice** Due to transfering back from a godaddy hosted wordpress blog back to blogger, reviews published before june 2017 don`t all have a pretty layout with book cover and infos. Our apologies.

Friday, August 16, 2013

The Indigo Spell by Richelle Mead

After the events of the past two books, Sydney tries to focus back on her studies, and her job to protect Jill, but nothing is ever that easy. Ms. Telliwinger won't let her off the magic hook that easily, especially with a evil witch on the loose, and Adrian is more determined then ever to have a romantic relationship with her. It is simply impossible though. She also got this quest to find Marcus Flinch, an Alchemist runaway, and add to that Angeline's troubles, to say Sydney has enough on her plate would be the under statement of the year.

I am an undying fan of the Vampire Academy series, and thus far, the Bloodlines series really left me on my appetite, until now. I finally started to feel something when reading this series and I'm glad the magic is finally happening. I think the main reason is that despite the fact that Sydney isn't naturally as likeable as Mead's past heroines, she finally grew on me and stepped up her game in this novel. She felt more emotionally involved in the events and it was about time she got out of her shell. She'll take big risks this time around, which is so unlike her old self, and it finally feels right. I also particularly appreciate that she finally embraces her magical ability and uses them to achieve her goals.

Adrian is of course as charming as ever, the light in the night, and I can only cheer him for his determination toward Sydney. It would be easy to pity him in his situation, but it's not the way I felt about him. He was strong, affectionate, focused and oh such a sweet talker. There some lines of his I particularly liked, here's an example:

“Can you come over to Amberwood? I need you to help me break curfew and escape my dorm.”
There were a few moments of silence. “Sage, I’ve been waiting two months to hear you say those words. You want me to bring a ladder?”

I literally laughed out loud. Of course there are some romantic lines and stuff, but this represents Adrian better :)

The ever present humor is also an highlight for me in this novel, and I always enjoy this side of Richelle's writing, in each of her series.

The plot was smartly built to keep us entertained the whole time. Between all the subplots, namely the romantic one, the quest to end the evil witch, Sydney's involvement with Marcus, and the possible threat to Jill, there was always something going on and Mead managed to intertwined everything perfectly to keep the action smoothly moving forward. I have to confess I had my doubts on the outcome of some of the plots, and even though the end wasn't as bad emotionally as The Golden Lily was, I still felt an intense 'no way' moment when I reached the last pages.

I don't think Bloodlines will ever replace Vampire Academy as my favorite series, but it's still a great one and if you haven't read it yet, I urge you to. Especially with Vampire Academy's movie releasing in February 2014, you want to get on the bandwagon before everybody else does! Richelle Mead is an amazing writer and every single one of her books is worth reading, I urge you to give her a shot!

Read an excerpt



tynsig_thumb-25255B1-25255D

Tynga is a 32 years old mom of two, from Montreal, working as a lab technician in an hospital specialized in heart disease. In her free time, she enjoys reading all things Paranormal and photography.

Follow Tynga on: Facebook | Twitter

1 Person left their mark:

  1. I also read this book and enjoyed it.. but agree that it won't replace the Vampire Academy Series. Good review :)

    ReplyDelete