**Notice** Due to transfering back from a godaddy hosted wordpress blog back to blogger, reviews published before june 2017 don`t all have a pretty layout with book cover and infos. Our apologies.

Monday, August 19, 2013

Elysian Fields by Suzanne Johnson

If you've been following the blog for a while, you know that I am positively gaga for Suzanne Johnson's Sentinel of New Orleans novels. I'm head over heels in love with the world, the characters, and Johnson's clever writing. Plus, things just keep getting more and more complicated for DJ, which means the reading just gets better and better!

In DJ's third outing, things are at their most tense, thanks to an undead serial killer, strained relationships, and questions that only lead to more questions. Needless to say, I loved it, especially since the dashing undead pirate Jean Lafitte has a central role in ELYSIAN FIELDS. He's my favourite character in the series because he's such a honourable rake and I'm positively thrilled that he has a key role in this novel. He even does a bit of growing as a character, which made him all the more charming to me. I die over his interactions with DJ, who is so unwillingly attracted to him.

Also great: the interactions between DJ and the rest of the cast. She has some major revelations about Jake and his life as a loup-garou, and what it means for their friendship; DJ and Alex have some serious conversations and moments, which were quite satisfying; and DJ learns the cost of her secrets when it comes to her friendships with non-preternaturals. And if that's not enough, we finally get an explanation about the mysterious Quince Randolph! I won't spoil it by telling you if he's good or bad but I will tell you that I was very surprised by the plot points involving this character and that I think it's going to make life quite interesting for DJ in future novels.

We also see DJ explore her elven magic, which is a lot of fun since she's frankly quite bad at it. Her training sessions are such fun to read. They're some of my favourite scenes in ELYSIAN FIELDS, which says a lot since I think the whole book was just delightful.

I think I'm going to stop raving here since some of my favourite parts of ELYSIAN FIELDS are major spoilers. If you want to chat, just let me know. I'm dying to talk about some of these developments!! To wrap up, I'll just say this: ELYSIAN FIELDS is Grade A urban fantasy goodness. If you haven't tried the Sentinel of New Orleans series yet, (a) you're missing out and (b) you better hustle to your local bookstore to give it at try!

Read an excerpt


Jennsig

Tynga is a 32 years old mom of two, from Montreal, working as a lab technician in an hospital specialized in heart disease. In her free time, she enjoys reading all things Paranormal and photography.

Follow Tynga on: Facebook | Twitter

4 People left their mark' :

  1. Thank you a lot for this great review like you i'm a fan and Jean was simply fabulous in this one even, if he appeared less
    ( and we had the short novella Jackson Square free to make us wait so it's even better)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm right there with you on how great this series is and especially this book. The story was unique and interesting I love that it featured a real life mystery. I thought this book was a little bit of a turning point for DJ and all the men in her life.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The Sentinels of New Orleans has become one of my favorite Urban Fantasy series. Elysian Fields is the best book in the series. Go get the book guys, you will enjoy.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for sharing your review and the great excerpt. I am absolutely gaga on this series too. evamillien at gmail dot com

    ReplyDelete