**Notice** Due to transfering back from a godaddy hosted wordpress blog back to blogger, reviews published before june 2017 don`t all have a pretty layout with book cover and infos. Our apologies.

Thursday, August 01, 2013

The Corpse Goddess by Kristi Jones

This book really surprised me. I wasn't quite sure what to think of it going in, but within the first couple of pages, I was already totally in love with Meg, and wanted to find out what was going on just as badly as she did. What a crazy plot line! From reading the summary, I didn't feel like I had all that great an idea of what was to come, since "death duty" didn't really mean anything to me. But oh man, I've never read something this inventive. But I won't give anything away!


These days, it's mostly all the same plot-lines being reinvented and re-imagined - but I've never read a plot like this. I had absolutely no idea what was coming next, and it had me staying up until 4 am just to try to find out a little bit more.


The pacing in this story is AWESOME. I love a book that never has a dull moment. There is constantly something happening or developing in this book... questions are being asked and answered, friendships are being made, drama is heating up - I loved it. Right when I thought, "Oh, I bet I know what's going to happen", I'd read on for 10 more pages and already realize I was totally wrong. I love when that happens.


As far as character relations go, this book had one of the most true-to-life developments of a relationship I've ever read. The romance is awesome, mostly because it doesn't even have a hint of insta-love. No one is 'inexplicably drawn' or ‘destined’ to be with someone else. The relationship develops from mild irritation, to companions, to friends, and then to something more. And every single moment of it was believable and relatable, I loved it.


There were a few grammatical/spelling errors. I can deal with 1 or 2, that's just a matter of human error and it does occasionally happen. Unfortunately, there were upwards of a dozen of these errors in this book, so it did distract me a little while I was reading. That's pretty much my only criticism though, so in light of how great the plot was, it really shouldn't keep you from giving this one a read.


And you'll have to excuse me here for a moment, BUT OH MY GOD THE ENDING. That's all I'll say.  But really.  Oh my God, the ending.

I need the sequel! And you need to go read this book!


Read an excerpt



 

Tynga is a 32 years old mom of two, from Montreal, working as a lab technician in an hospital specialized in heart disease. In her free time, she enjoys reading all things Paranormal and photography.

Follow Tynga on: Facebook | Twitter

2 People left their mark' :

  1. This sounds like a fun story, love that it's continually surprising. It doesn't really sound like YA though.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah, I'd be pressed to agree. When it was pitched to me it was pitched as YA, but the heroine is actually in her early 20's. Which I would normally think made it New Adult - but there was none of the "hot sexy smutty" stuff that New Adult apparently also represents, so I wasn't quite sure where to put it. I decided I'd just go with what it had been pitched as, but I think I'd personally just call it a Fantasy book.

    ReplyDelete