**Notice** Due to transfering back from a godaddy hosted wordpress blog back to blogger, reviews published before june 2017 don`t all have a pretty layout with book cover and infos. Our apologies.

Tuesday, August 13, 2013

Soapboxing: My "great escape"

Soapboxing on Tynga's Reviews


I've been planning a national conference for over a year and it's happening as you read this. It's been making me a little crazy and a lot absentminded in my non-conference life (which is why I missed my DYTR post a couple weeks ago...boo!), and you can probably guess that I'm a little stressed trying to get everything done so that my delegates have a smooth and lovely experience. My great escape when I just can't take it anymore? Reading. When I get really overwhelmed, I crave the escapism of a favourite book, so today I'm sharing my go-to books for stress relief/a break from life/just wanting a quality read. They are:


Magic Rises by Ilona Andrews (Kate Daniels #6)Anything by Ilona Andrews (and I mean anything). My copy of MAGIC RISES (which came out on the 30th) couldn't have arrived at a better time since I dove right in and finished it the night I got it. You will eventually see a review (hint: it's made of awesome) but not for a while since there are review books that must be discussed before personal purchases. In any case, I know that an Ilona Andrews book is going to deliver everything I could want in a story: humour, adventure, romance (most of the time), action, and a strong, unpredictable plot. Andrews' work is just about perfect and they've written in so many different genres (or blends of genres) that I can read a full-length novel or dive into one of their novellas, depending on my mood. If I knew where they lived, I'd send them boxes of cookies to show how appreciative I am of their work. =)


Jennifer Estep is another author that I can rely on when I'm looking for a book to take me away from it all. Both her adults Elemental Assassin series and her YA Mythos Academy books are fantastic and I can't say enough good things about them. And if I'm looking for some lighter romance, I can turn to her Bigtime books for a little superhero romance. What can't this woman write? ;)


Whitney My Love by Judith McNaughtAnother "great escape" for me is historical romance. I don't talk about this genre on Team Tynga's Reviews since it's outside of the blog's scope but I am a die-hard fan of historical romance. My first romance novel was WHITNEY, MY LOVE by Judith McNaught and I haven't looked back since! There's something so wonderful about immersing yourself in a different time period and I love knowing that there's a HEA in the works for the main characters. And there's something about the setting, the gallantry, and the clothes that makes historical romance a great way for me to decompress. A well-researched historical romance is just about the best thing ever, and it's a great way for my brain to refresh if I'm in the mood for something a little outside of the genres I read for this blog.


I'm also a lifelong lover of mystery novels. I don't go back to my Nancy Drews as much as I used to but there are some fantastic mystery writers out there and I get sucked into their worlds every time. I love J. D. Robb's series since it's a futuristic series with a strong central couple -- who doesn't love a kickass cop and her billionaire husband with a criminal past? I'm also a big fan of Agatha Christie when I'm in the mood for something a little old school since there's nothing better than Ms. Marple doing her thing.



How about you? What are your "great escape" books? Please share in the comments!


Soapboxing is our platform for talking about books and book-related topics that matter to us. Soapboxing posts may be rants, they may highlight awesome or terrifying trends, or they might tackle bookish issues on our minds... The content will vary but the posts will (hopefully) never be boring!


Jenn

Tynga is a 32 years old mom of two, from Montreal, working as a lab technician in an hospital specialized in heart disease. In her free time, she enjoys reading all things Paranormal and photography.

Follow Tynga on: Facebook | Twitter

1 Person left their mark:

  1. I think I'd have to go with my High Fantasy Novels. Nothing like a good Maria V Snyder or Kristin Cashore to get in a good mood :)

    ReplyDelete