**Notice** Due to transfering back from a godaddy hosted wordpress blog back to blogger, reviews published before june 2017 don`t all have a pretty layout with book cover and infos. Our apologies.

Tuesday, January 05, 2010

Need - Carrie Jones

" "They're supposed to leave like this," I say.
Nick brings his glittering finger closer to our faces. "Like this".
"Yeah." I step back and search his face to see if he thinks I'm ridiculous. "The whole dust aspect of it is kind of wacked, but it could be a serial killer or someone who is completely mental. It could be his calling card or something. I don't know. I don't like it."
"Me either." He tugs on my sleeve. "Let's go back to the car."
"You don't want to go see if he's in there?" I gesture toward the woods.
"You don't have boots on."
"Oh. Right." We walk back to the car and that's when I see it on the back of his jacket, little gold flakes...like dust. " - Book Cover

Zara is dead inside, her step-father (more like her father actually) died. And she pretty much died with him, her mom is really concerned about her and that's how Zara ended up in Maine, where it's freezing cold, in October.

She's mad at her mom for sending her away, she hates the cold, and starting in a new school is never an easy task. Having the first girl you meet hating you desperately doesn't help either.
Unfortunately, rebellious teenagers isn't the worst that Zara has to face. Something a lot more dangerous wonders in the woods at night.

It took me a while to pick this book because for some reason the cover didn't really speak to me, but with the recent release of Captive ( the second book in the series ), and many good reviews I've read I decided to pick it up and I was not disappointed!

The main character has this habit of listing phobias, which I found really interesting and I actually learn quite a few words lol. Each chapter is named after a phobia, what an original idea!

Characters are very nicely described, they all have their own personalities and pasts. While I was really surprised to discover their "secret identity", I figured out pretty easily who were they good guys and the bad guys, so unfortunately there wasn't much of a suspense there.


I loved the story's pace and the whole concept really. It was an original and interesting story, a fair share of action and love, just the way I like it.
I would definitely recommend it, and I can't wait to get my hands on a copy of Captive!

Read an excerpt.









In that series:
Need
Captive

Book stats:
Hardcover: 320 pages
Publisher: Bloomsbury US (Dec 2 2008)
Language: English
ISBN-10: 1599903385
ISBN-13: 978-1599903385

Book Source: Review Copy sent by Penguin Canada

Tynga is a 32 years old mom of two, from Montreal, working as a lab technician in an hospital specialized in heart disease. In her free time, she enjoys reading all things Paranormal and photography.

Follow Tynga on: Facebook | Twitter

5 People left their mark' :

  1. Ohman, I got a copy of this book and then accidentally left it in Louisiana when I came back to France. It looks so GOOD though! I'm seriously considering asking my mom to mail it to me.
    Zara sounds so cool!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Definitely a book that I am looking for! Saw copies of it at the bookstore recently but the price tag makes my eyes pulled out of their sockets! MYR102 - I definitely cannot afford this and will have to be more patient and wait for the paperback copy :(

    ReplyDelete
  3. Tynga, thank you SO MUCH for the link :D I'm smiling ears to ears *lol* The price is even cheaper than the normal paperback price in Malaysia!

    Many thanks =)

    ReplyDelete
  4. A must read the trailers just make the book better.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great review I really enjoyed this as well

    ReplyDelete