**Notice** Due to transfering back from a godaddy hosted wordpress blog back to blogger, reviews published before june 2017 don`t all have a pretty layout with book cover and infos. Our apologies.

Monday, August 15, 2016

Harry Potter and the Cursed Child by J.K. Rowling, John Tiffany & Jack Thorne

This is a book that needs no introduction in the literary world. As a true Harry Potter fan, I was so excited when I heard the news about the production of Harry Potter and the Cursed Child and the simultaneous publication of its rehearsal script. In my mind, J.K. Rowling was done with Harry Potter but I always knew she would return to the magical wizarding world, somehow. I was surprised she returned not only to the world, but also returned with Harry.

Harry is older now, forty years old to be exact. He has a demanding job at the Ministry of Magic and also as the father of three children. His oldest, James, is the son everyone admires while Albus, his second, feels like an outsider. Albus has never fit in and has always felt like the odd one out. He doesn't really get along with his father and has never really been able to connect with his family members. Everyone is surprised when he's sorted in a house other than Gryffindor, but for Albus, it feels natural. He quickly forms a bond with Scorpius Malfoy and the two become the best of friends.

But as Albus is about to start his fourth year at Hogwarts, something is brewing in the wizarding world. Rumours about dark magic has been spreading and Harry's job as Head of Magical Law Enforcement has him buried in paperwork. To make matters worse, Albus has a plan to go back in time to right some wrongs. Personally, I hate time traveling stories but funny enough, The Prisoner of Azkaban is one of my favourite Harry Potter books. We were first introduced to time-turners in this novel but honestly, I'm not a fan of the way time-turners were used in this play. The characters go back years into the past and everything becomes a confusing mess as alternate realities are created because of the small changes Albus and Scorpius force on the past.

Voldemort definitely makes his presence known but a new enemy is introduced in this story. While characters like Harry, Ron and Hermione (and Ginny!) play major roles in this play, I love how we are introduced to a whole new set of heroes. I do wish we could have spent a lot more time in J.K. Rowling's world. This script was made for the theatre, and while I understand plays can only last so long, I think Harry and his progeny deserve more than just a couple of hours to recap the last 19 years.

Give me a novel before a play, any day. I have never been a fan reading plays, whether it was Shakespeare or Molière, and Harry Potter and the Cursed Child hasn't changed my opinion about plays. On the other hand, I love going to the theatre and seeing a story come to life on stage. I imagine seeing Harry Potter and the Cursed Child on stage would blow me away, because the scene descriptions and the magical special effects look great on paper. I'm definitely curious how they managed transforming the characters into other characters and how time traveling played out on stage. But I can't justify paying for the extravagant tickets that can cost over $1000 (and the costs of travelling to London, of course). Maybe I'll just wait for a movie? 

I'm a little bit disappointed with this book, but it still has a spot at the top of one of my book shelves, solely dedicated to Harry Potter books and paraphernalia. Fans Harry Potter will definitely read this book but I'm sure there will be a lot of mixed emotions and thoughts about the return of the famous wizard.

stephsig moon

Tynga is a 32 years old mom of two, from Montreal, working as a lab technician in an hospital specialized in heart disease. In her free time, she enjoys reading all things Paranormal and photography.

Follow Tynga on: Facebook | Twitter

0 comments:

Post a Comment