**Notice** Due to transfering back from a godaddy hosted wordpress blog back to blogger, reviews published before june 2017 don`t all have a pretty layout with book cover and infos. Our apologies.

Saturday, December 19, 2015

Stacking The Shelves [190]

Stacking the Shelves


Stacking The Shelves is all about sharing the books you are adding to your shelves, may it be physical or virtual. This means you can include books you buy in physical store or online, books you borrow from friends or the library, review books, gifts and of course ebooks!


If you want to find out more about Stacking The Shelves, please visit the official launch page!


——————


 Happy Christmas week everyone!  Can you believe we're only six days away?  I'm not completely ready; are you?  I'm not feeling stressed, fortunately; the important part is seeing all the family.  If the last batch of cookies aren't made, the world won't end.  Perhaps I'll even find a bit of reading time while off work for the long weekend!  To add your own link to the fun, see the Linksy at the end of this post.


ARCs for Review


Raging Sea Undertow Michael Buckley Be Frank With Me Julia Clairborne Johnson


Raging Sea (Undertow, Book 2) by Michael Buckley.  I haven't read Undertow #1 yet, but a coworker recommended this, so I'll get on it soon.


Be Frank With Me by Julia Claiborne Johnson


New


Glitter and the Gold Consuelo Vanderbilt Balsan Lady on the Hill Howard E Covington Students' Hebrew and Chaldee Dictionary to the Old Testament Alexander Harkavy Lines for All Occasions Pickups and Come Ons


The Glitter and the Gold: The American Duchess-in Her Own Words by Consuelo Vanderbilt Balsan.  Hubby and I took a holiday babymoon to the Biltmore Estate in Asheville, NC.  (I highly recommend; they decorate the whole place so beautifully for Christmas!)  This was one of our souvenir picks.


Lady on the Hill: How Biltmore Estate Became an American Icon by Howard E. Covington.  Another souvenir book!


(Not Pictured) Christmas at Biltmore: Celebrating at America's Largest Home.  The third and final souvenir book.  We both always over-pack books from home to read while on vacations... and then buy more while away.  Hubby is undeniably my soulmate.


Students' Hebrew and Chaldee Dictionary to the Old Testament by Alexander Harkavy.  This is a really cool, really old reference book that my mother-in-law found in her attic and passed along to us; Hubby's dad used it in college!  (We kind of collect dictionaries.)


Lines for All Occasions:  Pickups & Come Ons:  Pithy Proclamations for All About You, All About Me, Context-Specific, People-Specific, Coitus Seeking, Famous Flirtations.  "Won" at a White Elephant party.  :)  Just for giggles.


Library


Babar To Duet or Not to Duet Jean Laurent de Brunhoff Elaine Waisglass Please Don't Bite the Baby Please Don't Chase the Dog Keeping Our Kids and Our Dogs Happy Together Lisa J Edwards Prohibition Bakery Leslie Feinberg Brokke Siem Gingerbread Timeless Recipes for Cakes Cookies Desserts Ice Cream Candy Jennifer Lindner McGlinn Last Bookaneer Matthew Pearl Strengths Finder 2.0 Tom Rath Blood of Olympus Rick Riordan Full Cupboard of Life Alexander McCall Smith


Babar: To Duet or Not to Duet by Jean de Brunhoff with Laurent de Brunhoff and Elaine Waisglass.  I requested this one because a family member wanted it for a homeschool lesson; I read it and enjoyed it.


Please Don't Bite the Baby (and Please Don't Chase the Dogs): Keeping Our Kids and Our Dogs Safe and Happy Together by Lisa J. Edwards.  Because I have a dog, and am about to have a baby.  Also, is that baby on the cover not the absolute cutest?!


Prohibition Bakery by Leslie Feinberg with Brooke Siem.  Requested before I knew I was pregnant!  I promise!  I might still try a recipe or two for the hubby, or if the alcohol is thoroughly baked into the recipe.


Gingerbread: Timeless Recipes for Cakes, Cookies, Desserts, Ice Cream, and Candy by Jennifer Lindner McGlinn.  Ginger/gingerbread/molasses things have definitely been cravings for me!  I want to try ALL. THE. RECIPES.


What We Saw at Night by Jacquelyn Mitchard.  This was not what I expected at all, but it was very good.  Will definitely try the sequel too.


The Last Bookaneer by Matthew Pearl.  Definitely a good read!  Especially for bibliophiles like me.  Interesting story: while I was reading this one, that deals tangentially with Robert Louis Stevenson, I was concurrently reading Under the Wide and Starry Sky, which also deals with Robert Louis Stevenson!  I'm pleasantly surprised I didn't get confused.


Strengths Finder 2.0 by Tom Rath.  Recommended by my manager and coworker, and looks short, so of course I'll give it a whir.


The Blood of Olympus by Rick Riordan.  The fifth (and final?) Heroes of Olympus book!  I was on the holds list for this for quite a while!


The Full Cupboard of Life by Alexander McCall Smith.  These No. 1 Ladies Detective Agency books aren't deep or anything, but they're so very pleasant!  I've been doing them all on audiobook, and the narrator has a very nice lilting accent.


What books did you bring home recently?  Leave your link below, and have happy holidays!


Marie


[inlinkz_linkup id=592063]

Tynga is a 32 years old mom of two, from Montreal, working as a lab technician in an hospital specialized in heart disease. In her free time, she enjoys reading all things Paranormal and photography.

Follow Tynga on: Facebook | Twitter

15 People left their mark' :

  1. Babar stories hold a lot of memories for me, my kids used to love him and Celeste :)

    Have a great weekend and happy reading, Marie.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looks like quite a haul! Hope you enjoy 'em all.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey! Great haul! I got Undertow #2 a few weeks ago. Haven't read either, but a student who did read #1 spotted the arc on my desk so I gave it to her and she loved it.

    BTW, I tried to post my link to this week's stacking but I got a message that the link already exists. I don't see it. Would you mind checking? TIA.

    http://proseandkahn.blogspot.com/2015/12/whats-new-stacking-shelves.html

    Happy holidays.

    brenda

    ReplyDelete
  4. You really scored at your library. I hope you love all of your new books this week. Have a merry christmas.

    Grace @ Books of Love

    ReplyDelete
  5. Raging Sea looks good! Enjoy!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow, what a haul! I am checking out that Jacquelyn Mitchard book...I enjoy this author. Have a great holiday week!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I haven't heard of any of these but I hope you enjoy! :)

    Kyra @ Blog of a Bookaholic
    My Book Haul!

    ReplyDelete
  8. OOoh nice haul!!! All totally new to me reads! Hope you enjoy each and every one of them!

    My STS will be up tomorrow, so be sure to stop by then!

    Have a GREAT day!

    Old Follower :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Nice haul. I hope you have a wonderful holiday and get to do some reading. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  10. I really liked Undertow, so much that I wrote to the publisher and begged for the ARC of Raging Sea. Hope you enjoy it!

    ReplyDelete
  11. An eclectic collection of books you've got. Love Alexander McCall Smith's books, and Babar is a life-long favorite.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Great selection you have here! If I don't "see" you again, have a Merry Christmas!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I love the Biltmore decorated for Christmas! Seeing your souvenir books has made me long for a visit to Asheville--what a great literary trip! I love the Thomas Wolfe House and visiting the Carl Sandburg goat farm, too.

    ReplyDelete