**Notice** Due to transfering back from a godaddy hosted wordpress blog back to blogger, reviews published before june 2017 don`t all have a pretty layout with book cover and infos. Our apologies.

Friday, November 07, 2014

Take Two: Defy by Sara B Larson

taketwoTake Two is a new feature I am launching on the blog! Tynga's reviews have been around for 6 years, and we have reviewed A LOT of books! And because we are a team of many with the same tastes, I decided to allow a second review of a same book, to give the reader a second opinion. I hope you will enjoy!

Read Jon's opinion of Defy


My thoughts:

What an awesome fantasy book! Alexa lives in a world at war. Her mother's country is fighting against her father's country in an anti-magic conflict. Both her parents were killed by a Fire Sorcerer and to avoid being locked in a breeding house (I will let you guess what happens there...), she disguises herself as a boy, with the help of her twin brother, and joins the army. Known as Alex, she climbs her way to the Prince's own guard and her whole world changes when her brother is killed and she is kidnapped with a fellow guard and the Prince himself.

I really adored this book and before I go all fangirl, I'd like to mention the two elements that bothered me. First, Alexa is a 17 years old girl playing the role of a 20 years old man. Even though she admits not being very curvy, I have a very hard time believing nobody noticed her lack of hair and beard? I mean this is the medieval era, in the army, I'm pretty sure the other men don't shave daily. Also, there is a love triangle later on in the story with another guard and the Prince. How is it that two men fall in love with her when she's been acting the part of a man for the last 3 years? It didn't really bother me, but I feel like it wasn't very believable AND the triangle was not necessary to the story.

Now onto positive things! I really liked Alexa. She was strong, dedicated but flawed, which made her a multi-faceted character. She faced many challenges during her young life and it showed in the decisions she made. I really liked the Prince also, even though I felt the urge to smack him on the head quite a few times. I didn't like the way he treated and used Alexa, but I understood his reasons. I really hope he treats her better in the future. I liked Rylan, but I thought he was too ingrained in the third-wheel role. It's nice that he is supportive of Alexa, but he is a bit too much like a doormat for my taste.

I really enjoyed the lore and the plot line. Sara manged to surprise me on more than one occasion, which is always a good thing. I even shed a tear or two hehe. In wasn't a breakneck pace, like most fantasy novels, but I was hooked the whole way through. The conclusion was simply breathtaking and I am super excited for the sequel, Ignite.

I would definitely recommend this book to fans of Graceling by Kristen Cashore and Throne of Glass by Sarah J Maas.

tynsignew

Tynga is a 32 years old mom of two, from Montreal, working as a lab technician in an hospital specialized in heart disease. In her free time, she enjoys reading all things Paranormal and photography.

Follow Tynga on: Facebook | Twitter

1 Person left their mark:

  1. We did the book trailer for Defy and are trying to get the word out: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1M3Aj1SaDBM We're hoping to keep making book trailers and would love any thoughts or advice you might have for us. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete