**Notice** Due to transfering back from a godaddy hosted wordpress blog back to blogger, reviews published before june 2017 don`t all have a pretty layout with book cover and infos. Our apologies.

Monday, July 28, 2014

The Winter King by C.L. Wilson

C.L. Wilson is a new-to-me author and all I can say after finishing THE WINTER KING is, "Why haven't I tried her work sooner?" THE WINTER KING is the a great fantasy novel filled with romance, incredible magic, and compelling characters, and it's also the start of a series, which thrills me to know end since it means we'll be back in Wintercraig and Summerlea soon (though not soon enough for me). This review is actually rather difficult to write since everything about THE WINTER KING is superlative but I will do my best to articulate why I enjoyed it so much.

In many ways, THE WINTER KING reads like a historical romance with a bit of magic, which is what throws the book into the realm of a fantasy novel. Wilson employs the enemies-turned-lovers trope to great effect in THE WINTER KING, with Khamsin slowly melting Wynter's magical and emotional coldness. This trope often puts me off but Wilson does a great job of creating tangible chemistry between Wynter and Khamsin and by showing how they each build up the other. Theirs is not a one-sided relationship; both Wynter and Khamsin have something important to offer the other and are both strong people in their own right. It's a love between equals and that made THE WINTER KING really standout for me, since historical romance (which I love) often finds the woman in a lesser position. Granted, Khamsin's family lost the war but she works to show her worth to both Wynter and his kingdom.

The magic in THE WINTER KING is weather-based and a lot of fun. I haven't read a series with weather magic since Maria V. Snyder's books and I'd forgotten how interesting it could be in the hands of a talented author. Wilson doesn't fully explain where the magical abilities come from but it really doesn't matter since we get a good understanding of how it works, especially in the case of Wynter, who came by his Ice Heart magic in a more gruelling way. And his Ice Heart is a literal measure of his relationship with Khamsin. Some may find it a bit too literal but I thought it was a nice plot device, particularly in the latter part of the book when the unexpected starts happening.

THE WINTER KING is the book for you if you like gorgeously written romance in a historical and/or fantasy setting. You must, must, must try this book! I'm so excited about this series and I already have my paperback on order so that I can read this novel over and over again.

Read an excerpt


Jenn

Tynga is a 32 years old mom of two, from Montreal, working as a lab technician in an hospital specialized in heart disease. In her free time, she enjoys reading all things Paranormal and photography.

Follow Tynga on: Facebook | Twitter

2 People left their mark' :

  1. Jenn, thanks so much for such a wonderful review. I'm thrilled to know you enjoyed the book! xoxox

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for stopping by! Can't wait for the next one. :)

    ReplyDelete