**Notice** Due to transfering back from a godaddy hosted wordpress blog back to blogger, reviews published before june 2017 don`t all have a pretty layout with book cover and infos. Our apologies.

Friday, July 25, 2014

Trial by Fire by Josephine Angelini

Lili Proctor is kind of a school reject because she's allergic to just about everything, has seizures, and her mother is the town fool because she speaks non sense all the time. Her best friend is the school's most popular boy and when he finally shows interest in her he messes everything up and cheats on her. This emotional wreckage will bring Lili to agree to the unthinkable and she will find herself in another reality.

The beginning of Trial by Fire is your typical contemporary YA novel. Nerd loves popular boy, when she finally goes to her first party it backfires, etc. Really, it didn't do it for me and I almost stopped reading right there. Where are the witches?? I kept reading though and while it's definitely not my favorite read of the year, it managed to draw my attention for its originality.

I really liked the concept of alternate realities and how every decision results in the creation of two different worlds, creating billions of alternative realities, a metaphorical breath away from each other. And while I didn't like the beginning, it was necessary to be able to really appreciate the difference between Lili's old reality and her new one, and get a feel for how different Tristan is in both worlds.

I was drawn by Lili's quest to find her way back to her own world and loved how she learned how to navigate this new world and how she learned to manipulate magic. What I didn't understand though, is why exactly Lilian brought her onto this world. There are hints of answers, but nothing really solid to grasp. Which kind of bothered me.

One of my favorite aspect really is how magic works in the world. It's very different from anything I've seen before and I liked how it takes more than one person to really work something powerful. The concept of mechanics is highly original.

Character wise I really liked them all. Each had something different, even the two versions of a same person were different enough that they really felt like two different persons (which they are..).

Josephine cooked one hell of a cliff-hanger for us and I am really curious about what will happen next, but it's not the 'please kill me now' kind of suspense and I prefer it that way. I would definitely recommend this title!

tynga

Tynga is a 32 years old mom of two, from Montreal, working as a lab technician in an hospital specialized in heart disease. In her free time, she enjoys reading all things Paranormal and photography.

Follow Tynga on: Facebook | Twitter

6 People left their mark' :

  1. I've been curious about this one. Great review. Sounds like Lili has a lot on her plate. What a dick friend and boyfriend lol but I like the sound of an adventure in the story. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Glad I could enlighten you a bit :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm so glad that you ended up liking this one! I have the eARC and sometimes it's so hard to decide what to request and what to let pass since I can only read so many books. Thanks for the review!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I picked this one up at ALA so I can't wait to read it. Now I know to stick with it through the beginning portion that doesn't make it stand out at first.
    Thanks for the great review!

    ReplyDelete
  5. YW. You might like the beginning, it just wasnt my cup of tea

    ReplyDelete