**Notice** Due to transfering back from a godaddy hosted wordpress blog back to blogger, reviews published before june 2017 don`t all have a pretty layout with book cover and infos. Our apologies.

Monday, April 19, 2010

Shift by Rachel Vincent

Shift

“ Being the first female werecat enforcer isn't easy. Scars accumulate, but I'm stronger in so many ways.

As for my personal life? It's complicated. Choices worth making always are. Ever since my brother's death and my father's impeachment, it's all I can do to prevent more blood from spilling. Now our Pride is under attack by a flight of vicious thunderbirds. And making peace with our new enemies may be the only way to get the best of our old foe.

With the body count rising and treachery everywhere, my instincts tell me to look before I leap. But sometimes a leap of faith is the only real option….”

** this review contains spoilers from the previous books, but not from Shift **

Shift is the fifth installment in the Shifters series. I had high expectations for this book, and let me tell you, I was not disappointed! Rachel wrote an amazing book once more and got me hooked from the first page!

Prey was a really hard book, with the disappearance of Marc, and the epic battle to get him back, the death of my lovely Ethan and some X-rated action with Jace, the table was set for a tide of emotions in Shift. 

Faythe’s Pride is trying to deal with the aftermath of Ethan’s death and the upcoming war. Several Alpha’s are united but no one saw the next boulder crashing on them: Thunderbirds. They attempt kidnapping on Kacy and kill two enforcers. Outnumbered and defenseless against an attack from the sky, the Pride is facing something they never felt before: Vulnerability. But they are not ready to give up.  In a desperate tentative to protect ladies and kids, Faythe and Kacy will end up at the mercy of a Flight of fifty or so full grown thunderbirds, and the future of the south-central Pride weighting on their shoulders.

I am completely nuts for this series and Shift was no exception to my excitement. Vincent stepped-up the game once more when she introduced a completely foreign specie in the series with blazing success. You will get to find out the consequences of Ethan’s death, Jace and Faythe’s little adventure, you will find how low Malone and his crew can hit and how mentally strong Faythe is.

The characters weren’t spared in this book, at page 120 or so there was already two dead Toms and an injured one, at some point I was wondering if there would be any characters left alive for Rachel to write Alpha. 

Faythe is between a rock and a hard place in this book, both physically and emotionally.  She is dealing with a broken arm from the final battle in Prey and will indeed suffer some more injuries along the way, but she is not ready to give up. She is ready for all the pain in the world to save her family and I respect her for that. The psychological aspect is much harder, she is filled with guilt toward both Marc and Jace and even though she wants to confess to Marc, war and impending doom isn’t really a good time. She keeps thinking she isn’t good enough for M&J, not good enough to protect Kacy and that her Pride deserves better, but she will keep her head high and keep fighting.  Her growth is incredible since Stray and she will have to take some life changing decisions in this round.

Poor Marc is completely oblivious to Faythe’s cheating and loves her unconditionally. He is aware Jace is acting weird but he thinks it’s because of his regretted best friend.  Jace on the other hand is more determinate than ever  to win over Faythe’s heart and is pushing her to confess to Marc, he is also constantly pushing Marc’s limits and it might not end up well.

I LOVE every aspects of this book, the characters, the fantastic story, the rollercoaster of emotions you feel while reading this book. It’s all awesome. I truly don’t know how I’m gonna wait until October to read Alpha, and I don’t want it to end.

Shift is fabulous, surprising, action-packed and just BEYOND! If you haven’t started this series yet, please run to the closest bookstore and buy Stray the first book in the series. You will love it and you will crave for more!

 

Read an Excerpt

 

 

Shifters Series:

Stray

Rogue

Pride

Prey

Shift

Alpha (Oct 2010)

 

Book Stats:

  • Mass Market Paperback: 400 pages
  • Publisher: Mira; Original edition (Mar 1 2010)
  • Language: English
  • ISBN-10: 0778327604
  • ISBN-13: 978-0778327608

     

    Book Source: Personal Shelf

  • Tynga is a 32 years old mom of two, from Montreal, working as a lab technician in an hospital specialized in heart disease. In her free time, she enjoys reading all things Paranormal and photography.

    Follow Tynga on: Facebook | Twitter

    5 People left their mark' :

    1. I totally agree--Prey was so good I didnt know how she'd top it and then she did. I raced through this book and loved it! Can't wait for Alpha!!

      ReplyDelete
    2. I could not put this book down! Loved every page...I just don't see how she's going to wrap things up with Alpha.

      ReplyDelete
    3. Yes! Yes!
      I agree with your review.

      Shift was yet another success in a series that already rocks!=)

      I must admit my heart is aching with this love triangle. I am a big Marc fan but Jace is a sweetie too. I wonder if there is any way where Faythe can have both... =)

      ReplyDelete
    4. Fab review Tynga - I love this series so much. I'm looking forward to Alpha and dreading it at the same time - I don't want the series to end LOL!!!

      I have no idea how the triangle will resolve itself. I've been on team Marc from the beginning but I do love Jace too & I've grown to love him even more in the last 2 books. I have to say I want Faythe to be with Marc in the end but I want to see Jace happy too - I did wonder about him & Kaci but of course she's far to young for at least a few more years & Jace thinks of her as a little sister. Aaarrrggghh I need Alpha LOL!!

      ReplyDelete
    5. I forgot to say - I've added your link to my review :o)

      ReplyDelete