**Notice** Due to transfering back from a godaddy hosted wordpress blog back to blogger, reviews published before june 2017 don`t all have a pretty layout with book cover and infos. Our apologies.

Wednesday, September 30, 2015

Alive: Book One of the Generations Trilogy

Em has found herself in a troubling situation.  She doesn't know where she is or when it is.  She doesn't even really know who she is having adopted the name Em from the initial M. on the box she woke up in.  Em is pretty certain it's her 12th birthday until she takes a good look at her own body and sees that she's a bit more physically mature than that.

This is how Scott Sigler starts us out in his book Alive, the first book in his Generations Trilogy.   Now, I hate spoilers and I always do my best to avoid any clues to the best plot points.  With this book, I feel the imperative even stronger since Mr. Sigler opens the book with a letter asking readers not to give too much away.  After finishing the book, I can see why.  If I had to sum up this book in one word it would be: exposition.  From scene to scene the variety and likelihood of what the true situation is changes and evolves.  This is aided by the narration being done by Em herself.  Her assumptions are guided and pushed by observation, emotion and reflection.  All of which leads the reader through each of her wild and varied suppositions.

The idea of character development and even evolution through self discovery to this degree is an intriguing concept that the author employed very skillfully.  Most characters come to us with at least some knowledge of self where as here, there is only the barest of facts known.  Outside of language and a few rudimentary skills, Sigler gives us very little to start with but, all the fun is in the making. It is a very interesting idea to see how somebody would shape who they are with very little to emulate or instruct.

Alive by Scott Sigler is not only entertaining but, thought provoking and may inspire some to take a good inward look.  I have to give this one a PG13 rating because of some of the violence and violent imagery.  There's not much in the way of language or mature subject matter.

Roberts Signature

Tynga is a 32 years old mom of two, from Montreal, working as a lab technician in an hospital specialized in heart disease. In her free time, she enjoys reading all things Paranormal and photography.

Follow Tynga on: Facebook | Twitter

3 People left their mark' :

  1. This one didn't give me thrills like I expected, and I think my expectations were too high to begin with. All that led up to finding out the whys and whats, didn't give me a positive reaction. By the time that moment came, I didn't even care about it all. The characters, motives, world, nothing. It reminded me of Lord of the Flies too much also. I'm glad that you enjoyed this one, as did lots of others. It just wasn't for me.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Smart of the author to precede the story with a note to not give too much away. Glad you enjoyed it. :)
    @dino0726 from 
    FictionZeal - Impartial, Straightforward Fiction Book Reviews

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for reading, and I genuinely appreciate the review (and that it's spoiler free!)

    Always happy to entertain.

    ReplyDelete