**Notice** Due to transfering back from a godaddy hosted wordpress blog back to blogger, reviews published before june 2017 don`t all have a pretty layout with book cover and infos. Our apologies.

Saturday, May 09, 2015

Stacking The Shelves 158

Stacking the Shelves


Stacking The Shelves is all about sharing the books you are adding to your shelves, may it be physical or virtual. This means you can include books you buy in physical store or online, books you borrow from friends or the library, review books, gifts and of course ebooks!


If you want to find out more about Stacking The Shelves, please visit the official launch page!


——————


I've been away from home on vacay this past week, so my stack is a bit shorter than usual.  As always, lots of great library finds, plus a few purchases.  What did you bring home this week?  Use the link below to share!


Purchased:


Like Water for Chocolate by Laura Esquivel.  This one was actually a freebie.  I work in a library, and folks will often leave books on a table in the break room for others to read and enjoy.  Like a book exchange.


Seabiscuit by Laura Hillenbrand.  This is one my hubby purchased while we were away.  He was near the end of his current read when we arrived in D.C., and he was afraid he'd finish it without another book ready to go, so we stopped by the local Barnes & Noble.  I will of course read it after him.  :)


Take Note! George Washington the Reader by Amanda C. Isaac.  I purchased this at Mt. Vernon.  It's all about the books that George Washington read and loved.


Bones Never Lie by Kathy Reichs.  This was another last-minute Barnes & Noble buy by the hubby.  We love the show Bones, so we're both looking forward to reading this one.  (We actually stayed so very busy sightseeing on our vacation that the hubby never finished the original book that he packed, let alone either of the two we purchased!)


From the Library:


Where Valor Rests by Rick Atkinson, James Balog, Dave Black, David Burnett, Bruce Dale, David Alan Harvey, Brian Lanker, and Creighton Adams.  I got this one just before we left for D.C.  It's a beautiful and thoughtful book about Arlington National Cemetery.


The Wedding Gift by Marlen Suyapa Bodden.


A Year in the Life of Downton Abbey by Jessica Fellowes.  Another book requested because we love the TV show!


Love in the Time of Cholera by Gabriel Garcia Marquez.  On my personal blog, I'm working through the PopSugar Reading Challenge, and one checklist item is "a book published the year you were born."  This book fit that checklist item, and it's a classic that I've never read.


Donna Bell's Bake Shop by Pauley Perrette, Darren Greenblatt, and Matthew Sandusky.  This is a baked-goods cookbook (YUM) by a star of the TV show NCIS, which we love.  Man, I get a lot of my reading from TV, don't I?


Tears of the Giraffe by Alexander McCall Smith.  I got this one on CD, and the narrator has this lovely, melodic accent.  So soothing, even during rush hour madness!


The Fire Chronicle by John Stephens.  Another one on CD.


Lumberjanes by Noelle Stevenson and Grace Ellis.  I've heard nothing but praise about these graphic novels!  As a former Girl Scout camp counselor, I'm looking forward to plenty of laughs with this one.


Wild by Cheryl Strayed.  My sister-in-law recommended, and she hasn't steered me wrong yet!


The Amulet of Samarkand by Jonathan Stroud.  I got this one on CD too.  This is my first Jonathan Stroud novel, and I'm excited.  I hear nothing but praise for his writing.  I'm about halfway through the book as I write this post, and it is definitely going well.


And you?  What books did you bring home this week?  Click the link below to share your stack!


Marie


[inlinkz_linkup id=523499]

Tynga is a 32 years old mom of two, from Montreal, working as a lab technician in an hospital specialized in heart disease. In her free time, she enjoys reading all things Paranormal and photography.

Follow Tynga on: Facebook | Twitter

18 People left their mark' :

  1. Oh you have so many good sounding books this week - particularly Love in the time of Cholera!

    ReplyDelete
  2. love your loot here!!! Hope you enjoy these...I am sure they will keep you busy reading for a while.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I recently won Wild by Cheryl Strayed but I haven't read it yet. I hope you enjoy it :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great haul - I hope you enjoy your books!

    Diane @ Diane's Book Blog

    ReplyDelete
  5. OOh nice! Those are pretty much new to me reads! I hope you enjoy each and every one of them!

    My STS will be up tomorrow, so be sure to stop by then!

    Have a GREAT day!

    Old Follower :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. A lot of these new books that you got sound really good. Have heard good things about Wild. Enjoy your new books.

    Grace

    ReplyDelete
  7. I make many of my reading choices based on TV also. I read all the Kathy Reichs when she first started and stopped for a few years, but I have the newest ARC to review.
    I'm going to try Lumberjanes. I don't read many graphic novels, but I always enjoy them when I do.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wow, Marie! You took a lot of books from the library. You should enjoy the audio The Tears of the Giraffe. All the recordings of McCall Smith's Number 1 Ladies' Detective Agency are very well done.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I have had Love in the Time of Cholera on my shelves for ages - still looking forward to reading it! Your other books are all new to me. Happy reading!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I hope you enjoy Bones Never Lie. I've enjoyed the whole book series, so far. Happy reading! :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. I haven't read any of these, but I love the Bones show, so I have been wanting to read Kathy Reichs! Happy Saturday!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Great haul! I've heard a lot of good things about Lumberjanes, too. One of my libraries got e-copies, so I might have to check them out.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I liked Seabiscuit - both book and movie. Amazing horse and people associated with him.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I thought Wild was pretty good and definitely worth the read. Great haul!

    ReplyDelete
  15. [* WordPress Simple Firewall plugin marked this comment as "pending" because: Human SPAM filter found "oy" in "comment_content". *]
    Impressive haul! Thanks for sharing and enjoy!

    Here are MY WEEKLY UPDATES

    ReplyDelete
  16. [* WordPress Simple Firewall plugin marked this comment as "pending" because: Human SPAM filter found "blogs.bl" in "url". *]
    I remember reading Like Water for Chocolate in high school! I didn't like it if I remember correctly. Seeing it hear makes me think of all the books they make you read in high school. I first read Gatsby there and it's now one of my absolute favs!

    Thanks for sharing ;P

    ReplyDelete
  17. I need to read Wild by Cheryl Strayed. Can't wait to hear what you think of it!

    ReplyDelete
  18. I almost bought a copy of Like Water For Chocolate from the library. I thought the movie was so well done and I've always been curious about the book. But alas, I had no cash on me. I still plan on reading it one day! enjoy your books! ~ Bel

    ReplyDelete