**Notice** Due to transfering back from a godaddy hosted wordpress blog back to blogger, reviews published before june 2017 don`t all have a pretty layout with book cover and infos. Our apologies.

Saturday, March 15, 2014

Soapboxing: Which books would you take when you move?

soapboxing logo

I haven't written a Soapboxing post in a while because my life has been a bit hectic since December, in the best possible ways. I went to Australia for Christmas to see my brother, got back to Canada mid-January to defend my PhD dissertation, and then promptly moved to England for a job in my field of study. I've been in the UK since February 10 and I finally feel like I'm settling into a routine, which means I finally have time to write posts again! And it's quite convenient since all of this travel has given me an easy topic for this month:

Airplane

 How do you decide what books to take with you when you're moving by plane?


All I have to say is, thank goodness for e-books! When I went to England from Canada for a year in university, it was absolute agony to choose what to take in my two suitcases. I ended up bringing far too many books; at the same time, it was far too few since I burned through them in no time.

This time, my move to England is more permanent as I have a contract for an 18-month position. I brought only one paper book: CAST IN SORROW by Michelle Sagara. This was largely because I needed something to read on the plane and I find her work absolutely captivating. Funnily enough, I ended up sleeping most of the way over so it's actually sitting untouched on my nightstand (I've been reading all of my eARCs) but it's very comforting to have a real book on hand. I really miss my books. I miss reading them, I miss seeing them on my shelves, I miss getting my books in the mail. I'm particularly dying to re-read Ilona Andrews' Kate Daniels series, Kevin Hearne's Iron Druid Chronicles, and everything by Seanan McGuire, something I do almost every year.

Thanks to my e-reader, packing was a little bit easier than it could have been, in this respect. Without my e-reader, packing would have been more challenging since I would have had to sacrifice some of the space in my two precious suitcases to satisfying my reading needs. (I will likely end up purchasing some of my favourites as e-books, which may lead to an obscene purchasing spree once I get paid. That or I'll bring a bunch of them back with me the next time I'm in St. John's.) In any case, I definitely have some favourite books (which you can see in my Top Ten Tuesday post from this week) that I wish I'd packed and that I'll either be bringing back or re-purchasing but at least I have some of my favourites, like Gail Carriger's Parasol Protectorate for when I'm in the mood to re-read a favourite.

What books would you take with you? Are you as grateful as I am for e-books?


Soapboxing is our platform for talking about books and book-related topics that matter to us. Soapboxing posts may be rants, they may highlight awesome or terrifying trends, or they might tackle bookish issues on our minds…
The content will vary but the posts will (hopefully) never be boring!


Jenn

Tynga is a 32 years old mom of two, from Montreal, working as a lab technician in an hospital specialized in heart disease. In her free time, she enjoys reading all things Paranormal and photography.

Follow Tynga on: Facebook | Twitter

9 People left their mark' :

  1. Everything! I'd load up every book I could grab onto my iPod and then take around 10 physical books on top of that. I have some old battered favourites wandering around and whenever I go on holiday, they go with me. They're kind of like a comfort blanket.

    ★ Under The Mountain ★

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am totally grateful for my ereader. I loved across the country last summer, and only took 1 box of books: the few series I loved, and a few to-read books that I really wanted to get to. Everything else was left behind.

    ReplyDelete
  3. How painful was that? I had to leave behind so many books, even though I donated and sold a bunch. It just about killed me! :) Thanks for commenting.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yeah, I wish I'd brought a few more physical books in retrospect. I agree, definitely a comfort blanket.

    ReplyDelete
  5. It was so painful. But I gave all the books I couldn't take to a family owned used bookstore, and I know they will find good homes.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Nice! I couldn't bring myself to get rid of all of my books so they're in a nice climate-controlled locker for now. I will likely ship them to my parents' place soon (for free storage) until I figure out where I will be living.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh I wouldnt know how to choose. I have a couple of favorite authors and I couldnt pick only one. So yes I am extremely glad for my ereader. Especially in this time of breastfeeding at night lol. I hadnt read since I gave birth but I started Night Broken yesterday and I'm already half way into, only reading while breastfeeding last night ahaha

    ReplyDelete
  8. E-readers are priceless when it comes to moving around. I think I would miss my paper book library terribly though. I have a lot of extended family in Newfoundland. I'm originally from New Brunswick. You've been doing some major traveling from the rock!

    ReplyDelete
  9. OH MY! Thank goodness I didn't just move by plane. I just moved 6 bookshelves worth of books. I just don't think I can part with my lovelies. But if I had to move by plane I would really have to sell them all except for maybe a beloved few series and autographed books. Wow, what a painful question heh.

    ReplyDelete