**Notice** Due to transfering back from a godaddy hosted wordpress blog back to blogger, reviews published before june 2017 don`t all have a pretty layout with book cover and infos. Our apologies.

Friday, December 03, 2010

Night’s Cold Kiss by Tracey O’Hara

The tension between the Aeternus, an ancient vampiric people, and humanity has been mounting for over a century. But when rogue vampires begin to drain humans in order to achieve an illegal blood-high, all bets are off.

After the death of her parents, Antoinette Petrescu devoted her life to becoming one of the top Venators, the elite hunters who destroy the rogue Necrodreniacs. Her kill count is legendary and her skills superb.

But now the serial killer who killed her parents has returned. And to stop him Antoinette must join forces not only with the Aeternus, but also their most legendary killer. One that is both dangerously attractive, and involved in buried secrets of her past. More dangerous still, a dark attraction grows between them--one that could doom both races.

Antoinette Petrescu, is a vampire hunter in a world set in an amazing lore. Vampire is indeed the common public name for Aeternus, a race of vampire living peacefully. As opposed to Dreniacs, a race of vampire addicted to death-induced high, they are serial killers of the worst kind. Antoinette is hunting the latter, but also has a strong repulsion to Aeternus since her mother’s murder. A dreniac is currently on the loose, killing prostitute matching Antoinette’s physical description. She is determined to stop him, even with demons from her past hunting her, and even if this means teaming up with sexy Christian Laroque, Aeternus.

I LOVED this book for multiple reasons, but the lore is one of the main ones. It kind of reminds me of the Vampire Academy series because of the good vampire/ bad vampire aspect, but is original nonetheless. I have to admit it was a little confusing at first because of all the new terminology, but thankfully, Tracey included a glossary at the end =)

I also really liked the character’s richness: They all have an interesting past and an unique personality. Viktor was my favorite. He is so corky, smart and original. There aren’t two like him. Christian is indeed brilliant and suave, but also tormented by his past, I appreciated his strong character and determination. Those last two qualities also apply the Antoinette, but what made her so special was her vulnerability. She is a strong and capable female, but the “bad guy” had such power on her, it shattered all her strength, and made her that much more real. If I had one complain regarding our heroine it would have to be her name lol It’s such an old French name it just didn’t sit right with me.

The tension roused in a crescendo the entire book  and ended in a blast – literally. The plot took twist and turns I never saw coming and kept me on my toes the whole time. I can’t wait to see what’s to come!

This Urban Fantasy is indeed action-packed and passion loaded. A few sex scene to tease the imagination  and a fiery intensity between  the two main characters. Tracey’s debut is definitely a success and you can sign me up for the second book, Death’s Sweet Embrace.

Read an excerpt



Dark Brethren novels:

Night’s Cold Kiss

Death’s Sweet Embrace

The Book Depository

 

Book Stats:

  • Mass Market Paperback: 352 pages
  • Publisher: Eos (Aug 17 2009)
  • Language: English
  • ISBN-10: 0061783137
  • ISBN-13: 978-0061783135

     

    Book Source: Review Copy sent by Harper Collins Canada

  • Tynga is a 32 years old mom of two, from Montreal, working as a lab technician in an hospital specialized in heart disease. In her free time, she enjoys reading all things Paranormal and photography.

    Follow Tynga on: Facebook | Twitter

    3 People left their mark' :

    1. I loved Viktor and I have been harassing Tracey to find a way to bring him back. She just says..."you never know" . I am reading the ARC of Death's Sweet Embrace right now (won it) and it is so much darker and violent and wonderful . Her writing and story telling is much smoother in this book. She is settling into her series and it shows.

      ReplyDelete
    2. Awesome review! I've been debating whether or not to try out this series. I have the second book available to me on NetGalley, but obviously I need to read the first, first...

      I think I might break my book buying ban to get this for my Kindle :)

      ReplyDelete
    3. I love the cover, besides the story has a very good look.

      ReplyDelete