**Notice** Due to transfering back from a godaddy hosted wordpress blog back to blogger, reviews published before june 2017 don`t all have a pretty layout with book cover and infos. Our apologies.

Monday, March 07, 2016

The Divining by Jayne Faith and Christine Castle

I really enjoyed the first two books of this series, however, this third instalment was a little bit disappointing. I feel like this series started off strong, but now the authors are trying to drag it out, in order to come out with as many books as possible. Honestly, it almost feels like a serial, like novella length stories that are released a few month apart, with enough suspense to keep you hooked.

I really do like the main story of Maya, an Earthen woman who is fighting for her life in the ultimate battle of becoming one of Lord Toric's harem women. She never wanted this, but fate brought her to Calisto, an alien world who's inhabitants believe they will one day return to Earth, once a certain prophecy is fulfilled. The Calistians can only return to Earth once Calisto has defeated all of Earth's enemies. The Calistian beliefs in prophecy is a little bit far fetched and I was willing to ignore the weak religion that surrounded these people, however, the more I read, the more holes the religion seems to have. What's more, the story seems to have shifted away from Maya, and is more about the Priestess who will lead the Calistians back to Earth. I understand the Priestess may have a pivotal role in the Return, but I have a hard time relating to this character because of her religious ties. Maya and Lord Toric is what brought me back to this series, but besides their first scene together, there are very little scenes between the two. And when there is, it's disappointing and not as dramatic as before.

I'm also disappointed in Lord Toric. He has turned out to be a weak leader, believing in prayer in order to save Maya from a certain death, instead of taking action. He claims to love Maya, his dark angel, but he doesn't show it very well. Especially when he cheats on her by calling one of his harem women in order to satisfy his sexual urges. I know he's stressed and everything, but honestly, if he can't be faithful to Maya after a few days of having her in his bed, I don't think there's much hope for him.

Jeric, Lord Toric's brother, seems to have turned over a new leaf. This is one positive thing we can look forward to in the next book. Maya may have survived an execution attempt and the Tournament of Obligates, but I don't know if she'll be able to survive in Lord Toric's harem. She may have a few allies in the harem, but it seems everyone within its walls has a second agenda.

I can't say I enjoyed this book. Nothing much happened in terms of action so I have very little else to mention in this review. I'll probably end up reading the next book because at this point in the series, it almost feels likes an obligation. Based on this book alone, I wouldn't recommend this series. Hopefully the series, along with its characters, will redeem itself in the next and final book.

stephsig moon

 

Tynga is a 32 years old mom of two, from Montreal, working as a lab technician in an hospital specialized in heart disease. In her free time, she enjoys reading all things Paranormal and photography.

Follow Tynga on: Facebook | Twitter

1 Person left their mark:

  1. I can totally see why you didn't like it much, considering nothing much happened. I hope the series redeems itself.

    ReplyDelete