**Notice** Due to transfering back from a godaddy hosted wordpress blog back to blogger, reviews published before june 2017 don`t all have a pretty layout with book cover and infos. Our apologies.

Wednesday, October 30, 2013

The Naturals by Jennifer Lynn Barnes

The Naturals is pitched as The Mentalist meets Pretty Little Liars, but personally I think that comparison is extremely inaccurate and deceiving. In my mind, The Naturals is better suited for fans of Barry Lyga's I Hunt Killers than the two aforementioned titles. Jennifer Lynn Barnes has written one of the most compelling thrillers/mysteries that I have read in ages and this is an incredibly fresh start to a new series. I am extremely impressed with The Naturals and I am extremely surprised that I enjoyed this book as much as I did.

Between an extremely fast paced  killer plot, an enigmatic protagonist, an intriguing mystery, and the promise of a sequel; The Naturals definitely has a lot going for it. This is my first time reading a book by Barnes and I've got to say that this is a nearly perfect book for fans of thrillers. There truly aren't any dull moments in The Naturals and if I hadn't work to do, I probably could have read this book in one sitting. Though the book is about finding a killer, The Naturals is extremely light and is heavy on humorous dialogue. This is the perfect kind of a book, a quick read that reluctant readers will easily fall in love with!

What didn't work for me was the unnecessary romance because it just didn't feel like it worked well alongside the plot. The romance didn't really have any function in my mind, it felt forced and a bit frivolous. I wouldn't have minded romance, but there was no reason to insert a love triangle other than to make it "feel" like a YA book. Maybe I'm just feeling antagonistic at the author's decision to include numerous archetypes, which are beyond trite at this point. If Barnes had decided to make this love triangle unique in some way, I wouldn't have minded it's inclusion.

I'm not sure if I'm too well-versed with mysteries, but I figured out "the killer", before he/she had even made an appearance. Yes, I'm just that good or perhaps this book is slightly predictable and formulaic. I wouldn't say this book was completely predictable because there were a few plot twists that surprised me and that I thought were well-done.

I definitely would recommend reading The Naturals because it's quick, fast-pace and interesting premise. The romance will definitely put off some readers as well the stereotypical secondary characters. Despite my qualms with The Naturals, I can definitely say this is one of the better YA thrillers that I've read recently. I can definitely see myself continuing this series and I'm pretty eager to find out what happens in the forthcoming installments.

Tynga is a 32 years old mom of two, from Montreal, working as a lab technician in an hospital specialized in heart disease. In her free time, she enjoys reading all things Paranormal and photography.

Follow Tynga on: Facebook | Twitter

2 People left their mark' :

  1. Yay! First review here on Tynga's Reviews! Welcome to the team.

    Great review. I rarely read thrillers and mysteries but you make this book sound very interesting and compelling. Enough to check it out. Thanks for your opinion.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hmmm I initially wrote this book off, but I may have to give it a chance if I ever get a library card in NYC. The system's been down for like a week in the library near me.

    Anyway, welcome to the team!!!!

    ReplyDelete