**Notice** Due to transfering back from a godaddy hosted wordpress blog back to blogger, reviews published before june 2017 don`t all have a pretty layout with book cover and infos. Our apologies.

Sunday, May 18, 2014

The One by Kiera Cass

I have a feeling many people are going to disagree with me and this review. This isn't a negative review, just a "neutral" one. It's not because I didn't like THE ONE. In fact, I finished it in less than two days so there must have been something that kept me hooked. It was interesting enough to read (almost) straight through, but personally, despite all the anticipation leading up to its release, the book lacked that WOW factor I was hoping to get. It just feels like the whole story was missing... something. I'm going to try to explain my thoughts about this book with this review but I apologize in advance if it just comes out as a jumble of words.

When I started reading this series, I think the only reason I picked up book 1 was because of all the controversy around the author and some bloggers. I wanted to dive into it with an open mind but to be honest, I was a little intrigued about the scandal. The basis of the story was intriguing; choosing the next princess of Illéa reality-television-style was creative. Even if I'm not a huge fan of reality TV, I find there's something dramatic about the whole concept.

THE ONE is the last of the trilogy and everything the series was leading up to was revealed in this book. Obviously we find out who the next queen of Illéa will be, and we also learn more about the different characters. Especially secondary characters that become important in the conclusion of the battle between the royals and the rebels. Illéa is a new-ish country which replaced the United States of America we all know today and with a royal family ruling the country with more restrictions than ever, rebels are acting out against the monarchy. The public is divided into eight castes, and it's this segregation that drives the violence in some of the rebels. Personally, one of the things that I don't understand at all is how Americans were brainwashed into this type of society. No one remembers anything about America except a selected few and personally, I find it just doesn't make sense. Americans are so proud of their country in general that the idea they would simply forget about their former glory after a few generations doesn't make sense, especially after a huge war against Asia. But I guess that's the magic of dystopian fiction.

One thing I do love is the fact that the main character's name is America and that symbolizes a lot because she represent a hope for a country that might eventually return to its former glory. As one of the last choices for Prince Maxon to marry, America also represents the most daring choice, the unpredictable one of the selection because of her lineage and her caste. In reality, it's almost like a fairy tale, the poor girl getting the chance to become a Princess. While most of the story is a little predictable, some of those last twists near then end add a bit of depth and politics to a story that could have been just a straight romantic YA novel.

One thing's for sure, THE ONE is dramatic until the very end. It's the finale fans of the series won't want to miss. It's an ending that so many have been anticipating, and it includes a very violent scene towards the end which will decides the future of Illéa. Prince Maxon might or might not follow his heart, but I think in the end he makes the best and most sensible choice for his country.

stephsig_thumb-25255B1-25255D6

Tynga is a 32 years old mom of two, from Montreal, working as a lab technician in an hospital specialized in heart disease. In her free time, she enjoys reading all things Paranormal and photography.

Follow Tynga on: Facebook | Twitter

7 People left their mark' :

  1. I still have to read this book, so I'll just have to wait and see for myself if I'll like it. Great review!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm really looking forward to reading this but I'm not sure what to expect. I loved The Selection but I thought The Elite was pretty pointless, it didn't really add anything major to the series. It comes out in the UK next month so I'm looking forward to finding out how it ends. (I'm totally Team Aspen so *fingers crossed*!)

    Rosie

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh! Don't get me wrong I would read it even if I knew I wasn't going to be in love with it! I just had to know what happened.

    ReplyDelete
  4. If you read the other two books, you still NEED to read The One. You have to find out what happens, right? I really liked The Selection, but I know what you mean with The Elite... I hope you enjoy the finale more than I did.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I do I have to find out what happened! I read The Guard a few weeks back and now I have to know.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I haven't read the novellas. At this point, I don't know if there's a point. Maybe I would get a better understanding what drives the characters?

    I am interested in reading Queen Amberly's story in the novella that comes out at the end of the year, however.

    ReplyDelete
  7. the one was an okay read for me. i loved Elite more. america had become an irritating character to me because she continues to doubt Maxon's love for her so she treated Aspen like a safety net...i hated that. Anyways lovely review!

    ReplyDelete