**Notice** Due to transfering back from a godaddy hosted wordpress blog back to blogger, reviews published before june 2017 don`t all have a pretty layout with book cover and infos. Our apologies.

Friday, January 24, 2014

School Spirits by Rachel Hawkins

School Spirits is the fourth book in the Hex Hall series, and takes place after the events of Spell Bound, yet it features a new Heroine, Izzy Brannick. Normally I would classify this book as the first of a spin-off series, but it's labeled as 'an Hex Hall novel'. We met Izzy, Sophie's cousin, in previous books and it's a great opportunity to know her as something else than 'the youngest Brannick'.

Brannicks have been hunting paranormals for generations and they are the monster under the bed for prodigiums. There used to be  a lot of these women around the world, but now it's only Izzy and her mom (her big sister being MIA) and I loved to discover their side of the story. Times forced them to evolve from paranormal killers to hunters for the prodigium council and the transition isn't easy for them. It's much easier to kill a vampire than contain one, at least, that's what Izzy says!

Izzy was a fun character to watch, mostly because she is totally out of her element. A job forces her to tackle on high school (something she's never done) and her hunter abilities are completely useless to her. Worst, they make it harder for her to fit in. Her struggles were endearing as she tried to learn the ropes by watching TV shows and failed miserably most of the time. I have to say, I had a soft spot for her interactions with Dex, a cast-out asthmatic boy. He is such an awkward, old-school romantic that I had no choice but to fall for him.

I enjoyed the main plotline though it was somewhat simple. There's a ghost at school and it's Izzy job to stop it. Izzy struggled at times, suspecting different friends but I have to say, I suspected the real culprit very early on, which left little suspense unfortunately. School Spirits stayed true to what we've seen in the previous Hex Hall books though, so if you enjoyed them, you should like this one as well.

The Hex Hall books always have a light spirit about them, which is why I keep coming back despite it's younger target audience. I guess they are just fun and fluffy in a way adult books never are :) Am I the only guilty adult following the series?

tynga

Tynga is a 32 years old mom of two, from Montreal, working as a lab technician in an hospital specialized in heart disease. In her free time, she enjoys reading all things Paranormal and photography.

Follow Tynga on: Facebook | Twitter

8 People left their mark' :

  1. I couldn't help but fall for Dex, too! He was such a sweetheart in comparison to the bad boys of YA. I thought the novel was too light for my taste, but I did enjoy the novel overall. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am so behind, I read the first one but never got a round to the rest of the series. :(

    ReplyDelete
  3. I read the first three and was a little disappointed that Hawkins didn`t make bolder choices in terms of the love story. I thought the first book was particularly strong and then things kind of faltered....

    I didn`t realize she was continuing onwards with the series after the last one - I may have to check this one out now!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have read the first book in this series, and have two more. Will read them someday. Glad you enjoyed them!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Its definitely on the light side!

    ReplyDelete
  6. They are such quick reads, you could catch up in no time :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hopefully you'll enjoy it :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thank Aurian! I hope you like them too

    ReplyDelete