**Notice** Due to transfering back from a godaddy hosted wordpress blog back to blogger, reviews published before june 2017 don`t all have a pretty layout with book cover and infos. Our apologies.

Friday, January 17, 2014

Burn For Me by Cynthia Eden

Determined to deliver a great story, journalist Eve decides to infiltrate a scientific project studying paranormals called Genesis. The last thing she expected though, was to become a subject herself, despite all the publicity about the subjects being volunteers. Her world will be turned upside down when she meets Subject Thirteen, after months of hard work.

I have a confession, this is the first book of Cynthia Eden I've read and I was happily surprised. Paranormals being guinea pigs in a scientific project isn't exactly a unique setup, but the nature of each characters infused the novel with a breath of fresh - or should I say scorching hot- air.

Subject thirteen, Cain of his real name, is virtually immortal. Oh he can die, alright, but he always comes back in a flurry of extreme heat and flames. Each death takes its toll though and I honestly appreciated to subtlety of his nature/abilities. What he actually is remains a mystery to Eve, but I wouldn't surprise you if I revealed that he is a phoenix (what with the series being called Phoenix Fire and all...). I think it was a great idea by Eden because it's honestly the first time I encounter one in a novel. Eve is another matter entirely because neither we nor she knows what she is. All we know is that fire can't harm her. Isn't she just perfect for Cain right? I loved how consumable their relationship was!

On a side note, I thought the names Eden chose for her main characters were just perfect. In The Genesis (another subtle wink), Cain is the first murderer, and it fits perfectly since he is a remorseless killer in this novel. In the Bible, Eve is his mother, but if we ignore that fact, Eve is also the first woman. And to Cain, she is the first woman who ever mattered to him. She is also striving to do good every opportunity she gets. So I thought the whole thing was fitting!

Plot-wise, this novel is quite action-filled for a paranormal romance. Don't get me wrong, there is an abundance is smoldering, sultry scenes, but the action will keep your blood pumping between those encounters. I enjoyed the sense of urgency the fast pace maintained and I wasn't bored for a second.

I also have to mention the support characters because I really liked them. Eve's best friend Trace really hit home and I hope we'll see more of him. There is also Ryder, a mentally unstable vampire, I am very curious about and I think he might be the main character in the next novel, so I'm expecting answers!

The end satisfied me and I'm glad we got some answers about Eve's nature, her past and her desires for the future. The Eve/Cain couple isn't perfect, they each have their flaws (especially Cain) but I think it makes them more believable and I appreciate it.

Burn for Me was a great beginning to a new paranormal romance series and I strongly encourage you to give it a chance! Have you read any other books by Cynthia before? Do you have a favorite?

Read an excerpt


tynga

Tynga is a 32 years old mom of two, from Montreal, working as a lab technician in an hospital specialized in heart disease. In her free time, she enjoys reading all things Paranormal and photography.

Follow Tynga on: Facebook | Twitter

2 People left their mark' :

  1. I'm glad you liked Burn for Me,/i>- I'm excited to get my hands on this new series.I love the hints in the story the author Eden is handing out- Eve, Cain, and The Genesis. I'm so curious how she puts a paranormal/romance spin on these traditional elements. Thanks for the wonderful review, Tynga. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you Kim! I hope you enjoy it when you get the chance to read it :)

    ReplyDelete