**Notice** Due to transfering back from a godaddy hosted wordpress blog back to blogger, reviews published before june 2017 don`t all have a pretty layout with book cover and infos. Our apologies.

Monday, January 27, 2014

Dirty Magic by Jaye Wells

In DIRTY MAGIC, Jaye Wells introduces us to a dangerous new world inhabited by alchemists and potion junkies. It's a fast-paced story that grabs your attention from the first page and will leave you begging for more when you hit the back cover. 

Kate Prospero, alchemist turned beat cop, does her best to maintain order in the Cauldron but it's a losing battle. Dirty magic potions are everywhere and addicts line the streets. Kate used to cook potions and was the heir apparent to one of the big bosses until tragedy struck. Now, she eschews all magics, even though she craves the powerful high that cooking brings, while raising her teenage brother and trying to get ahead in life. She's the kind of protagonist I instantly root for because she's so driven, fighting against some big obstacles. Plus she's a total underdog, especially once she joins up with the task force and its super talented members.

DIRTHY MAGIC is such a great book that it's hard to pinpoint my favourite parts. There's strong characterization, not just for Kate and the team, but for each of the major and minor players who enter the story. I really liked Penelope, Kate's best friend, in particular. She's such a sympathetic ear but she's also a very human element in a story with so many magical beings. The plot is also fantastic. Figuring out who's putting this dangerous new potion on the streets is a complex mystery that takes Kate all over the city, into some of the darkest parts of the town and her past.

While DIRTY MAGIC still has Wells' trademark humour and fast-paced action, it's a bit different from the Sabina Kane novels in that DIRTY MAGIC is more of a paranormal thriller. It's got a real hard-boiled feel to it, which I love. Gritty stories (almost) always have fantastic character arcs and twisty plots, which Wells delivers in spades. If you are already a fan, you'll definitely love DIRTY MAGIC. If you've never tried Jaye Wells before, now's the time because DIRTY MAGIC is near perfect urban fantasy.

Read an excerptJenn

Tynga is a 32 years old mom of two, from Montreal, working as a lab technician in an hospital specialized in heart disease. In her free time, she enjoys reading all things Paranormal and photography.

Follow Tynga on: Facebook | Twitter

14 People left their mark' :

  1. I've had Well's Red-Headed Stepchild on my eReader for what seems like forever, I really do need to make time for it. My new associate reviewer beat me to the punch with this new series though; she posted her thoughts on this one yesterday. Maybe I'll just read it "for me" because it sounds like a fab UF story.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Although I'm not that sold on the cover, I really like the blurb and your review. Thanks for sharing! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. It was my first book from Jaye Wells and I really enjoyed it! You are right, especially the characters were exceptional. I directly went and bought her Stepchild series:)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Lovely review Jenn, I have yet to see a negative one. This book is on my wishlist.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I so glad to hear that you liked it! I started Dirty Magic a couple of weeks ago, and I think it just wasn't good timing for me. I usually enjoy good UF, but couldn't get into Dirty Magic -- but I think that's more about my mood than anything else! Glad to see this getting such a good review. I'll give it another try!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I enjoyed this book as well. It was a great fun read. I also loved the world that Jaye Wells built. The characters were really well thought out and great to get to know them. Good review.

    Grace

    ReplyDelete
  7. Sometimes it's for the best. :) There are a couple series that Tynga was already reviewing that I love, so now I read them and don't feel guilty if I don't write them up.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hope you enjoy Sabina's story just as much!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hope you enjoy it the next time around!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Can't wait to see what you think, Aurian!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Agreed, not the most awesome cover but it does capture Kate's personality and the potion element of the novel.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Oh I had preordered this one. I just got it. Now for me to get caught up so I can read it. :) Can't wait!

    ReplyDelete
  13. [* WordPress Simple Firewall plugin marked this comment as "pending" because: Human SPAM filter found "port" in "comment_content". *]
    Hello to every one, it’s actually a good for me to go to see this web site,
    it includes important Information.thanks for share good luck and wish you all the best ! :D

    ReplyDelete