I am once again faced with this dilemma after so many blogs have been shutdown in the past weeks, but I’m still full of uncertainties. I’m currently discussing it with the girls, but I’d like to have your opinion on some points.
First the reasons why I wanna switch:
- The safety of not being shutdown…
- The flexibility WP offers
- the numerous plugins that would make my life much easier (see here)
The reasons why I hesitate:
- The whole switching process is scary
- I’m worried I won’t be able to design the blog as easily and as well as I did here.
- The cost.
Now my questions to you:
- Is it hard to have your domain name switched providers? My domain is with eNom (via google) and I’m wondering if the process is tenuous. Can my domain be my free one when I chose a host, or will I have to pay for it again?
- I’m thinking of using GoDaddy because they have a 2,99$ per month price right now, but once my ‘contract’ is over and I renew, will it be at full price? If there’s a discount at the moment of renewal will I be allowed to use it?
- To have a nice looking design, is it necessary to buy a deluxe template? Where did you get yours? Is it easy to customize? Are there some nice (and safe!) free ones out there?
- Do you have any ‘I wish I knew that before I made the switch’ ?
- If I install plugins, will all the authors of the blog be able to use them or each of us have to install them?
- Is it easy to format your post?
- How is it working Mac vs PC user? Any disparities?
- Anybody have a test blog they would let me play with? Or even let me create a basic design a could start with when switching?
I probably have a lot more questions but there are the ones on my mind right now. Can you tell I’m scared of the unknown? LOL