**Notice** Due to transfering back from a godaddy hosted wordpress blog back to blogger, reviews published before june 2017 don`t all have a pretty layout with book cover and infos. Our apologies.

Monday, July 22, 2013

The Darwin Elevator by Jason M. Hough

I'm a huge fan of good sci-fi movies and TV shows but I don't actually read much science fiction. I've been trying to rectify this oversight, getting recommendations from my good friend, House, but it's not my go-to genre. That might be changing now, in large part due to Jason M. Hough's amazing debut, THE DARWIN ELEVATOR. I first heard about this book over on Kevin Hearne's blog, since he's blurbed it, and I'm really glad I took a chance on something a little outside my wheelhouse because I really enjoyed THE DARWIN ELEVATOR.


THE DARWIN ELEVATOR is the first book in Hough's Dire Earth Cycle, a new series set in Darwin, Australia, in the mid-23rd century. Darwin is the last human city on Earth, the rest of the world having succumbed to an alien plague that transformed most of the population into subhumans, these savage, beastial creatures who roam through the wreckage of human civilization. Darwin is also home to the elevator, this sort of umbilical cord into space that was created by the alien Builders who also created the plague, which connects Earth to a space station above. This elevator emits some sort of plague-suppressing aura, which makes Darwin the only safe place left for humans who want to stay, well, human.


THE DARWIN ELEVATOR follows a bunch of different characters but the main ones are Skyler Luiken, a human immune to the plague, who scavenges through the wreckage of the world for goods, and Tania Sharma, a beautiful and brilliant scientist who's lived her life on the space stations. It's a large cast of characters but THE DARWIN ELEVATOR is long enough that you get to know the main characters, Skyler and Tania, pretty well. Through them, we also learn a lot about the others. I found Neil Platz, a prominent businessman with lots of alien-related secrets, to be quite interesting. The longer the novel went on, the less I liked him, but he's still one of the most complex and real characters in the story. Skyler and Tania are also well developed and Hough does a great job of making them fallible but determined. I don't really click with those hyper-perfect characters you sometimes see so Tania and Skyler really worked for me, as individuals and as a team. Through Skyler, we see what life is like for an immune living on the fringes, and through Tania, we see the more privileged, science-y side of life. The contrasts between their lifestyles is quite dramatic and it gives you a good sense of the very split society that now exists on Earth.


There's also the issue of subhumans. SUBs are people who aren't immune but didn't make it to Darwin or space. They are semi-intelligent and violent, traveling in groups and operating with a pack mentality. They sort of reminded me of Arag from MAGIC BITES, the first Kate Daniels novel, in the sense that they are intelligent enough to have a bit of a personality and are even creepier for it. Watching Skyler and his team face hordes of SUBs makes for some great, suspenseful action sequences, and it really brings home the otherness that Earth now has in THE DARWIN ELEVATOR.


I do have to issue one word of caution: THE DARWIN ELEVATOR is very much a first act in this trilogy. You get some answers but I got to the end of my eARC and kept trying to read on because I didn't want the book to end when it did. Thankfully, the books are being released only a month apart, so the agony won't last too long.


I'm really glad I gave Hough's debut a shot. THE DARWIN ELEVATOR is straight-up sci fi and I quite enjoyed it. And now that trailers for that new movie , Elysium, are out, I can offer it up as a similar situation, at least in Tim's of the two split societies and the social and economic imbalances between them. I do hope you'll give this book a try.


Read an excerpt


Jenn

Tynga is a 32 years old mom of two, from Montreal, working as a lab technician in an hospital specialized in heart disease. In her free time, she enjoys reading all things Paranormal and photography.

Follow Tynga on: Facebook | Twitter

8 People left their mark' :

  1. […] week’s guest is Jason M. Hough. I’m so excited to have him here since I thought his debut, THE DARWIN ELEVATOR, was fantastic. I’m quite looking forward to the second book in the Dire Earth Cycle, THE EXODUS TOWERS, […]

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is the first time that I visit here. I found so many exciting matters in this particular blog, One thing I would like to request you that pls keep posting such type of informative blog.

    Cyberpunk 2077 Jacket

    ReplyDelete
  3. Buy stendra doses Online is an ED Treatment, You can buy stendra doses 50 mg, 100 mg, 200 mg Online with PayPal With Free Shipping to the USA, UK, Australia, France.

    * malegra 200
    * sildalis 120 mg
    * tadora 20

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your article is such an informative article. It is glad to read such articles. Thanks for sharing. Yellowstone Jacket Collection

    ReplyDelete
  5. This post was very well written, and it also contains a lot of useful facts. I enjoyed your distinguished way of writing the post. Thanks, you have made it easy for me to understand. American Gods Movie Jacket Collection

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is a jacket made from 100% pure leather. It is known as paneled biker leather. The jacket consists of a side zipper closure. Stylish accessories are available with this jacket so they give a unique touch to the jacket. Half Black Half White Faux Leather Jacket

    ReplyDelete
  7. Africa News Publisher Thank you for the fantastic blog you have been doing.
    Awesome! Congratulations on a great blog.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I was thinking about how to fix skin break out regularly additionally, noticed your site by google,
    Taylor swift black leather gathered huge loads of helpful information as of now i'm a piece clear.

    ReplyDelete