**Notice** Due to transfering back from a godaddy hosted wordpress blog back to blogger, reviews published before june 2017 don`t all have a pretty layout with book cover and infos. Our apologies.

Wednesday, June 05, 2013

The Treachery of Beautiful Things by Ruth Frances Long

I’ve been looking forward to this book for a while, so I’m really excited that I was able to have the time to read it. And I’m happy to say that despite the fact that this novel was off to a slow start, I did like it! It’s dark and twisted, but everything you’d want from a fairytale re-telling whose star villain is the famous and hated Mab. Kudos to Long for creating such a unique debut that stands apart from other traditional tales of faerie!


It took about seventy pages for me to get into this book. I enjoyed it, but it was hard to focus. I found myself putting the book down often and picking it up later to read a few more pages. My friend Gillian put it best when she said it was almost too beautiful. The writing has this level of description that is unparalleled. It was so easy to picture everything and Long certainly excels in this department, but it was so overwhelming at first to have such amazing description that I found myself rolling my eyes at the sheer beauty of seemingly everything before I realized that all beautiful things really are treacherous. Once this realization hit, I found it easy to breeze through the remaining portion of the book. It was more or less a scenario where I had to adapt to the unique writing style. And the unique dark world that Long created for us was easy to immerse myself in.


I also struggled with the creatures. As fascinating as the lore was, there was just so much. I was easily overwhelmed because I felt like every time a new creature was introduced there was either an info-dump or a infer-about-the-creature-yourself moment that I failed at epically. I wish that there was more detail aimed towards the clarity of the creations instead of only descriptions of this deliciously dark and magical fairy wood. I think it would have saved me a lot of confusion because I often had to reread certain passages to make sense of things.


However, the overall tale was absolutely amazing. There was twist after twist and there was never any time to breathe. You blink and miss a word and something insane and completely unexpected is suddenly happening. It was great and kept me on my toes in the best possible way. The romance was also amazing. While not a main plot point, the forbidden feelings between Jack and Jenny were perfectly depicted and believable and they acted as the overall driving force some huge plot twists.


With a satisfying ending, I can definitely say that this is a great book to check out if you’re looking for something beautiful to read with a fairy world that is both infinitely creative and dark. However, you need to focus on the details in the very beginning in order to make sense of things.


Read an Excerpt


Lili

Tynga is a 32 years old mom of two, from Montreal, working as a lab technician in an hospital specialized in heart disease. In her free time, she enjoys reading all things Paranormal and photography.

Follow Tynga on: Facebook | Twitter

1 Person left their mark:

  1. This sounds awesome! I like my fairy tale retellings dark and twisty :)

    ReplyDelete